branching out
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: -2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 09:08 AM UTC
Hi everybody

Im building a diorama thats based around a country lane, with a t-junction, i have the basics laid out and would like to put a large old oak tree on one side. My question is how would you make such a large tree - milliput? wire? any ideas would be much appreciated.

thanx all

alpha :-)
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hi alpha,

A while ago Gen. Faillure (Jan) wrote a feature article about making trees, here is the link, I think that this will help you out

Making Trees with Wire
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: -2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 11:45 AM UTC
thanx for that roadkill, ill check it out.

alpha
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 12:26 AM UTC
Think about tree trunk diameter when considering using wire. It will take A Lot of wire to get a good size tree trunk. You can use a piece of dowelling or wood or old sprew to 'take up space' in the middle of the trunk.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 06:56 PM UTC
I found a woody stemmed plant pulled it out of the ground roots and all let it dry out a bit, then flipped it over trimmed a bitof the roots and left about 6 inches of the plant. next step would be to spray white glue on the roots and roll it around in some oregano and basil for leaves. Cheap easy and it will make your diorama smell good (If you don't like it would make an excellent stir stick for spagetti sauce) #:-)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Think about tree trunk diameter when considering using wire. It will take A Lot of wire to get a good size tree trunk. You can use a piece of dowelling or wood or old sprew to 'take up space' in the middle of the trunk.

I tested the wire-tree concept several times, and it works well. You need about half a roll of commercial wire (1/2 mm thick) to make this work. You don't need extra support to thicken the trunk, since the trunk thickness is the sum of the individual wires that are used for the branches. I'll try the same technique with finer wire soon. I'll post my experience in the diorama section or in the "splash" campaign pages.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:13 AM UTC
I have done 5 or so trees with wire and the technique is great. It just takes sooo much wire to get a thick tree. I have been experimenting with shortining up the process by using a bit of filler. I am still wrapping the filler with wire (two or three good layers), you just dont' have have to use as much. You get the advantge of the wire just not as much used for bulk.
 _GOTOTOP