Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

which masterbox set did you use incidentally, they look to be very good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This set here James: German Signals Personnel
They're proving to be a very popular set, see Robert Blokker's(FAUST) work on them in this thread

Thanks for the heads up Pat, I thought they might be, have to put them on my list of must haves!

Cheers, and good luck with the project,

James
mattd8589
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 05:52 AM UTC
Pat

That is COOL! I love the dynamic use of these figures! To me running figures rarely look "right" when I see them, but you have managed to put these poses to perfect use!

I also like the rubble. I just finished reading Anton Bevor's "Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege." The terrain in Stailngrad got to the point where the city was unrecognizable. It was literally a rolling terrain of mountains, valleys, trenches, steel, brick, equipment, etc. You have captured that VERY well.

I can't wait to see this one finished - and I'll be back to take another look at your progress so far just as soon as I throw the Stalingrad vignette I'm working on in the trash
EagleSmack
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 07:23 AM UTC
INCREDIBLE! You're not even done! This is going to be amazing and you can tell by the enthusiasm we can't wait to see the end product.

I would not change a thing either. The guy that isn't going to make it...well sometimes soldiers just don't make it. They break ankles, legs trying to make jumps...leaps...etc. But in the desperation that these guys are in I can see a soldier trying to make a leap as the alternatives are facing whatever is making them run like hell. A charge of numerous Russian infantry, a T-34... whatever.

Master Box looks like some pretty good figures. Are they the best on the market?
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 07:32 AM UTC
nice really in action scene!! show more
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 07:36 AM UTC
Wow hell is chasing these fellows ! Fantastic cinematic action, just great to see what's possible with our modeling hobby ! G.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 07:36 AM UTC
Pat-- awesome work, very well done
DJ
f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
Armorama: 805 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 08:47 AM UTC
It's rare to see action themed dioramas that really capture the viewer but this one... I just want to keep watching to see what happens to these guys. I think the Germans are all you really need. They tell the story perfectly. I could tell what was going on in the first picture. Soldiers running for their lives. Please keep us updated. This one is a winner.

-Matt
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:03 AM UTC
An amazing piece of work, Pat!

How about an SBS on that base?!?

Rudi
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:06 AM UTC
looks very cool
perhaps you could expand it and add a russian T-34 or a Sherman (depending on what you want), as that would really make those guys run!
looking good man, cant wait to see it finished!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hi Pat. You´ve got to stick to Urban dios .... when you do brick work ... it always makes me wanna try it. Thats a compliment by the way!!
Again ... great use of different levels ... the scribed brickwork is amazing ... so much so ... Id suggest losing the cork and add a similar scribed wall here as well ... love the damaged ends ... so realistic. I could drone on and repeat whats already been said .. but I´ll save you the hassle. This is great stuff Pat. Would second the opinion, to keep it only Germans ... much more impact that way! Did I say I liked it?
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:31 AM UTC
excellent Pat

i look forward to seeing this progress, just as a thought "less is more" with this kind of scene. Don't over complicate it allow the viewers mind to fill in all the gaps.

keep the picture coming

cheers

Keith Forsyth
SSJugend
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:47 AM UTC
Post some more pics please!... I love the action in it!
ricknroll
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:45 AM UTC
Pat, I can't really add anything else to the conversation...great concept, brilliant execution.

Looking forward to the progress.

Rick
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:51 PM UTC
Thanks again guys, I'm kinda overwhelmed by the response.
Rudi, I have no photos of the base SBS but I have some spare sheets of plaster so if I get the chance I'll do one soon.
Jon, I won't be expanding this to include any tanks it's at the size limit of what I can safely store now.
Frank, I can't replace that cork wall now, there's even more rubble and debris there than there was in the pics, plus I've painted it. I do prefer plaster but I picked up some cheap cork coasters in Aldi and wanted to try using them.
Thanks Keith, Less is more I agree, I won't change too much- maybe add one more figure- my original plan was for five more but I'll rein it in in the hope of finishing it for the IMSS Show in May.

Thanks everyone, more pics soon.
I should get a chance to get some more work done on this tomorrow after work- DIY list permitting.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 03:29 PM UTC
Wow, lots of action in a static piece! I clicked subscribe.

RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:37 PM UTC
Fantastic work, cant wait for more updates!
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hey Pat

I can only be thankfull that you're wife was away so you could start this beautifull scene. Is there a chance we could see some more pics top views etc... ???
The start looks very good I really like the destroyed building and the soldiers seem to be on the run from a great danger. Looks like all hell came loose there

Keep us updated

Roel
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 03:35 AM UTC
Pat,
This is going to be a killer dio! Can't wait to see more!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 07:54 AM UTC
Pat, outstandingly brillant. Wouldn't cange a thing. Makes me want to break out the M.B. hand to hand combat kits I got and get scribing and snaping wood. Look forward to the finished dio.
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 09:43 AM UTC
Pat fanatstic work so far,your dio just seems to draw you in to look at it,you have trully captured a moment in time.As for the D.I.Y dont worry,you did this yourself so that counts,not sure the missus will fall for it though .

Fanatstic work mate

Steve
zemzero
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:08 AM UTC
Wow, this is gonna be a great diorama. I'm always saying to myself 'There needs to be more combat/action dioramas'.

Great use of the figures. I also agree to leave the leaping man in, it does add to the desperation. He is doing anything to escape.

Keep it up!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:13 AM UTC
Managed to get some work done on this between work and that DIY list

For the moment I'm leaving the MG gunner in for balance.
I'll add a few bits of broken furniture to the interior and add some pigments for dust when the whole thing is finished.

I'm using Hornet Heads for the figures, I picked up a set of TANK heads which turned up in my LHS but they are way too big-they made the figures look like something from Goya's "Los Caprichos."

For a title I was thinking of Exit stage left, pursued by a bear.
There'll be a bigger gap before the next update as we have thirteen of wifes relatives coming over from Finland so the dio will be put on hold for a while
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:45 PM UTC
Pat, very, very nice work. Great scene, and as I said earlier a difficult thing to manage convincingly - action - a snapshot in time.
I'm glad you left the mg'er in - yes you're right, him and the mp 40 dude balance out the retreat.
It's as if only a second has passed since they decided to bug out and told Hans and Wally to " cover us " !!

Thirteen inlaws coming over ? ........... If I were you I'd be bugging out with the rest of the Germans.

The last two pics. do it for me. This is going to be quite a beautiful build. Don't change or add a thing, the story is already told.

Glenn
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

This is the confirmation that it's going to be a nice diorama.
Love it, and for once a dio that will represent REAL rubbles, and not just few bricks here and there..
For the title, why not escape of the balds ?

Best,
Julien