ALERT
Are We Doing Enough For 1/48th?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:41 PM UTC
The last few months have seen an increasingly large number of excellent builds being posted on the Forums. There has also been an increase in the number of News items for AM products for 1/48th.

Previously, many people considered 1/48th scale a bit of a 'gimmick' . Now it seems as if it's building a good solid base amongst manufacturers and here, on the site.

So, the question is, what more can we do to increase its profile on the site? What more could we be doing?

I'm open to any suggestions....
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:48 PM UTC
Well over at the Benelux site we did a 1/72 - 1/76 scale campaign to get people interested for small scale. I think it was a succes. Maybe an official campaign in 1/48 could do the same. Perhaps even sponsored in some way?

Just a thought
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:02 PM UTC
A campaign is a good idea, I think it would go a long way to helping, count me in.

I think farming out a feature or two show casing a kit would be good.

Here is a feature I wrote when 1/48 started making a showing. It compares an older Bandi kit, but the thoughts and techniques are solid. Todays Tamiya kits are head and shoulders above the older kits (as far as crisp detail and extras).
Compare Scales
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 01:12 AM UTC
I really like this new scale.. and I'm all for a 1/48 scale campaign.

Maybe also a periodic competition specifically for 1/48

And possibly, more reviews of 1/48 subjects... If there has been any before?

Hope more people join in
Kitty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 107 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 01:32 AM UTC
Hello Jim

How about a 1/48 scale content drive? These are not all that uncommon on Armorama or any of other modelling sites. In fact, didn't I read somewhere (possibly at the time of the last content drive on Armorama) that much of your original content was obtained through such an initiative in 2001/2?

HTH

John
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like this new scale.. and I'm all for a 1/48 scale campaign.

Maybe also a periodic competition specifically for 1/48

And possibly, more reviews of 1/48 subjects... If there has been any before?

Hope more people join in

Hisham,

We'd happily take any user-submitted reviews on 1/48 subjects. We don't receive any samples from the majors regarding 1/48 but that doesn't mean our users can't do it on their own and help promote the scale.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 02:31 AM UTC
I've bought just about every 1/48 scale injection molded kit from Tamiya, Hobby Boss, Skybow (not the AFV Club reissues though) and purchased a lot of AM items from Verlinden, Hauler, Eduard, Fine Molds, Lionroar/LionMarc, and Voyager. I've built half the kits I've bought, half of those with AM and the other half OOB.

I've also got a fairly complete line of Aurora kits and a good number of the Bandai kits.

I'm doing my part to support the scale.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 02:32 AM UTC
Perhaps also a possibility is to get some more features like Scott posted. Not only comparison with other scales, but maybe also a feature aimed at the possibilities of combining armour/afv with aircraft in dioamas etc.

@ Sabot: cool, now if you could write an article on all those products....

Martin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The last few months have seen an increasingly large number of excellent builds being posted on the Forums. There has also been an increase in the number of News items for AM products for 1/48th.

Previously, many people considered 1/48th scale a bit of a 'gimmick' . Now it seems as if it's building a good solid base amongst manufacturers and here, on the site.

So, the question is, what more can we do to increase its profile on the site? What more could we be doing?

I'm open to any suggestions....

I've essentially converted from 1/35th scale to 1/48th. I've found that I'm actually having fun building models again because of that scale. Plus, I just got plain tired of shelling out $35-$50 for a 1/35th scale kit and then spending another $20-$50 on aftermarket stuff. There's a good selection of reasonably priced 1/48th scale stuff and when you add in aftermarket stuff like a basic pe set, I just barely reach $35. That makes my wallet happy and I still get the same satisfaction from the kit.

In order to increase it's profile on the site, there needs to be more reviews of the available 1/48th scale products and more modellers actually have to be willing to post their 1/48th scale builds.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
A 1/48th scale armor convert
Toadman's Tank Pictures

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 04:49 AM UTC
Following on from Chis' comments, his own website has an increasingly large number of good reviews for 48th scale subjects. It can be seen:

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/review.htm
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Following on from Chis' comments, his own website has an increasingly large number of good reviews for 48th scale subjects. It can be seen:

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/review.htm

Thanks for that, Jim. Looking at the link, I realized that I didn't add my review of the 1/48 Tamiya M8 Greyhound to it when I did my recent update. I'll have to take care of that tonight.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 06:30 AM UTC
While not being a convert to 1/48 scale, I think that giving this scale the same type of attention/treatment as we do 1/35 scale subjects will bring it along.

Tanks
Andy
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 06:55 AM UTC
Funnily enough, my 're-awakening' to 1/48th scale, came as a result of looking at ML's 48th scale Forum and then looking at Chris' Review page. I'm going to start with a couple of Tamiya kits (probably the Cromwell and a KV-1) and see how it goes.

The last week or two has seen me manage my time a lot better and i'm actually getting a lot more built than previously - I am tempted for something straightforward OOB...
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 07:26 AM UTC
Though primarily a 1/35 devotee, I enjoyed spreading out a little and doing one of Tamiya's 1/48 'King Tigers'. Over on "MIG Productions" web site, they ran a Campaign called "Tiny Tigers" where you were to build a 1/48 (obviously) Tiger I or Tiger II kit from any of those available. It was very enjoyable. I think a 1/48th Campaign would be a great idea.

Blade48mrd
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps also a possibility is to get some more features like Scott posted. Not only comparison with other scales, but maybe also a feature aimed at the possibilities of combining armour/afv with aircraft in dioamas etc.

@ Sabot: cool, now if you could write an article on all those products....

Martin

I have written several build articles on the 1/48 scale kits I constructed.
TankTrap
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 01:04 PM UTC
Ya im all for this scale im currently working on tamiya's cromwell, T34-76 and Stug III.
And have just recently compleated There Panther Tiger Dak, Tiger Early And Crusader AA, Greyhound, Hetzer And Sdkfz Neu Dak.
Other not so recent works include...
Hobbyboss T34-76 And sherman III (Converted) Tamiya Jagdpanther, Su 152 And panzer iv.

And still in the ever growing stash is the hobbyboss t34-76 mod 1941 and there KV-1 Heavy armour tank (awaiting a Metal barrel sent by Jim.

Man thats a kinda big list.

Im all in for a 1.48th scale Campain infact im looking forward to it.
This scale needs a definate interest spike.
IronDivision
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 03:25 PM UTC
If you folks at Armorama need some review samples, I'll send them to you, just give me a name and address and they'll be in the mail. We don't charge Magazine or Site Reviewers for review samples. That's un-American!

Bob [url]http://www.topgunmilitary.com
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 03:46 PM UTC
Bob,

PM sent.
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 05:27 PM UTC
Good to see you here, Bob!

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 07:40 PM UTC
I saw some of Bob's update sets yesterday (via Chris' reviews) and I must say I was impressed - particularly the replacement turrets for the HobbyBoss M4s. I'll try and get a 'New to You?' News story posted today or tomorrow...

Meanwhile, Iron Division's website can be seen:

http://www.topgunmilitary.com/
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 07:46 PM UTC
I see the campaign idea gets a lot of support. Any suggestions how to make it a little bit more special than the other campaigns? Maybe a small competition element? Perhaps aimed at who uses the possibiliities of the scale the best?

Martin
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:11 PM UTC
I love the idea of a 1/48 vehicle build Great idea

Has anyone heard of this AM company? It's fighting 48th

http://www.fighting48th.com/
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I love the idea of a 1/48 vehicle build Great idea

Has anyone heard of this AM company? It's fighting 48th

http://www.fighting48th.com/

Yep! I bought a couple Tim's PE sets last month. Very nice and very reasonably priced. His M4A4 and Crab look great.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:59 PM UTC
Not trying to hijack a thread, so if this needs a new one I'll be happy to start it.

Has anyone ever dealt with this company? The products look pretty good.

Produits MP
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Great thread with plenty of good ideas. A 48th scale campaign would certainly increase participation. It would clearly show modellers who have never built a 48th scale armour model just how easy and fun it is.
You could even have an across the board campaign involving the Historical Miniatures and the Aeroscale members, as there are plenty of figures available in plastic and resin and plenty of soft skinned vehicles to adorn an aircraft vignette.

Frank
 _GOTOTOP