_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Jackal Arrives
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 07:22 PM UTC
There is a lot of push in DoD to buy off the shelf after a few disastrous programs such as the obscene 113 replacement by modifying and stretching the originals. The program is years behind and the cost is usch that they could have bought new build replacements for the whole fleet for half the cost. Instead they are halving the fleet at twice the cost.
The other factor is the LRPV's were not really capable of carrying everything the troopers wanted and were mechanically strained. Add to that the fact the LR wil be leaving service with no LR replacement it makes sense to look at other platforms. I believe the G Wagon and Pinzguers are filling the void. The G Wagon is totally unsuitable as an LRPV candidate and IMHO as a LR 110 replacement.

Dave was pretty involved with the whole selection process and was pretty happy with the Jackal. I hope it lives up to expectations, I know the Brits are pretty happy with them.
CHeers
Al
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 12:35 AM UTC
Brian
Very nice walk around, thanks very much for these, I'm sure they will come in handy when AA releases the resin. Any idea when it will be released and if they will continue with the stretched version?
Al
I see the Nary is (shown) equipped with an RWS, one would think it (RWS) would be similar to the ones employed by the Bushmaster and the ASLAV for ease of spares and repairs. The RWS makes sense when the troops are all buttoned up INSIDE a protective vehicle where they could actually see the LCD screen in order to operate it but the Nary/Jackal isn't enclosed so what is the advantage? Like you said about the modifications to a specifically designed platform stresses that platform to the point of redundancy eg HMMWV,LRPV is the SUPACAT able to evolve in the ever increasing need to up-armour, enclose, increase engine HP to deal with it all? At this point you have an agile light platform in the Nary/Jackal like you sited with the LRPV they were asked or needed to do more (carry more) in the changing battle field conditions.
I realize this is a tad political and I'm not interested in getting into that but rather to understand a new vehicle supposedly custom built for a specific conflict. It will be very interesting to watch the evolution of this vehicle and I want one (resin will have to do for now) ;o)

Quoted Text

I believe the G Wagon and Pinzguers are filling the void.

Are there any pictures of the Pnzguers and G Wagons in service with the Australian Military, I'd really like to see them if there are if this is not OPSEC of course.
Regards
Bill
Photobucket
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hi William,

Sorry no idea on a release date but I believe that they are planning the 6x6 version. I expect that Accurate Armour will get good use of the moulds, so a SASR shouldn't be too hard, and the add-on armour pack is just thay, either as complete kit or as an extra,

Regards

Brian
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 08:14 AM UTC
Brian
I am really looking forward to this release and your news about the 6X6 is fine by me.
Bill
FuNsTeR
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 243 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What about these ?

HTH
Frenchy

is it just me or does it look like something from the mad max films on steriods
sapper159
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 08:38 AM UTC
[quote]Brian
Like you said about the modifications to a specifically designed platform stresses that platform to the point of redundancy eg HMMWV,LRPV is the SUPACAT able to evolve in the ever increasing need to up-armour, enclose, increase engine HP to deal with it all? At this point you have an agile light platform in the Nary/Jackal like you sited with the LRPV they were asked or needed to do more (carry more) in the changing battle field conditions.
I realize this is a tad political and I'm not interested in getting into that but rather to understand a new vehicle supposedly custom built for a specific conflict. It will be very interesting to watch the evolution of this vehicle and I want one (resin will have to do for now) ;o)[quote]

I think that the upgrade of the platform is not such a worry as the 6-wheel coyote version uses the same powerplant as the jackel with seemingly no loss of performance but with double the payload capacity, 1500kg-3000kg. And I would hope that Supacat have had enough foresite to leave enough room for a slightly larger powerplant upgrade if one was necessary. I'm not too sure what upgrades could really affect the performance, as the protection armour affords is getting better whilst also getting lighter and unless they start adding artillery to the platform, the weaponary is also getting lighter by the use of 'modern' metals. I wonder what a 20 or 30mm cannon would look like on a jackel and I wonder if you could fit a 105 on a coyote much like the old Portee????

As for conflict specific use of the vehicle, I think that it could be used on any continent, save those with extreme cold, or those which traditionally don't see much use of vehicles anyway, such as jungle enviorment. It most certainly could be used in most of Africa, though I must say, due to it's open cab, I wouldn't relish it driving through Acacias unless I was in the back. The Land Rover Pinky was repainted and used in Europe, so there is no real reason why the Supacat couldn't be, and there are vast areas of the Americas where it would extremely suited. I could certainly see it being used in the vastness of the Pacific coast South Americas. Personally I would like to see how they would fair on the wet terrain of the Falkland Islands.
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hi Jon,

I think the Jackal could be used any where, the WIMIK looks pretty in sunnier climes but they never ever looked as much fun on SPTA in November. The Recce Landies at Warminster alwys looked a bit chilly.

Always good to see a fellow Sapper on the forums!

Regards

Brian
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 09:40 AM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/157836#1324165

Keith
colin-rlc
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 11:26 AM UTC
Accurate Armour have now released kit's of Jackal 1 (Kit no K176) and 2 (K177) - £79-99, and the 6x6 Coyote (K178) - £99-99. I went over to Glasgow earlier this month to buy a load of stuff and had a chat with Derek. Showroom is awesome, but could be very hazardous to your credit card !! Once I have my current project(s) finished, I'll have a go at the Jackal. If the HobbyBoss WMIK Land Rover is a lot cheaper than the AA one, I'll try and get one of those as well. I'm planning on building something along the lines of the vehicles that are parked up on the flanks of the parade area in Bastion when a Vigil service is held prior to a repatriation.
Sapper131
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Accurate Armour have now released kit's of Jackal 1 (Kit no K176) and 2 (K177) - £79-99, and the 6x6 Coyote (K178) - £99-99. I went over to Glasgow earlier this month to buy a load of stuff and had a chat with Derek. Showroom is awesome, but could be very hazardous to your credit card !! Once I have my current project(s) finished, I'll have a go at the Jackal. If the HobbyBoss WMIK Land Rover is a lot cheaper than the AA one, I'll try and get one of those as well. I'm planning on building something along the lines of the vehicles that are parked up on the flanks of the parade area in Bastion when a Vigil service is held prior to a repatriation.

Ive just picked up a Coyote and WMIK at War and Peace and have made a start on them both already. Im thinking of something along the lines of a force protection diorama along with the Mastiff once ive finished it. It would be nice iff i could get hold of a couple of MANs or a Foden to go with it.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 10:53 AM UTC
Jackal 1. Mid 2010.
Enjoy.

Keith.
 _GOTOTOP