Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter challenger 2
joina25
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 08:15 AM UTC
Has anyone built a trumpeter challenger 2 if so can anyone offer any advice on possible probs with the kit. I have built a challenger 1 (Tamiya) and had no probs but the trumpeter kit seems to have a lot more detail (but no figure) is it possible to put the none gulf war fig from the tamiya kit into the trumpeter turret? if so how.
Hope someone can help, this is my first kit in a month as i have had an infection in one of my hands caused by a deep cut fingers still shaking so have loads of time to build it
Cheers
Joina
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 08:44 AM UTC
The reviews have been mixed on this one. There are some good things about the kit and some bad. From everything that I have seen and read it will not be near as easy of a build as the Tamiya Chally I. One good thing is that Accurate Armor is starting to release some update sets to "fix" some of the worst parts of the kit. Below is a link to a review by Terry Ashley with pics as well.

HTH
Mike

http://www.jbwholesalers.com.au/reviews/trumpeter/tr00308.htm
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 04:14 PM UTC
Another problem is the just/unjust fleecing AA is giving people on the upgrade parts. I just don''t know if they are doing us any favors, even though they have a right to be pissed...
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:21 AM UTC
I'm midway through building my Chally 2, so far I've encountered only two problems.

The first is with the fit of the turret side stowage bins. Trumpeter has over complicated this part of the kit in my opinion. I ended up removing all trace of Trumpeters alignment ledges and aligned the outer and upper panels with the surrounding turret structure then glued the rest to match.

The second problem is that the tracks are too short, if you build as per the instrctions. I managed to snap one while trying to stretch fit them, I have read in another post that the front idler shafts are shown upside down in Trumpeters instructions but I'm not convinced of this from the reference photos I have. Any way I plan to get some Armour Track link to link track that will fix my problem.

Whilst it doesn't fall together like Tamiya's Chally 1kit, it is the only Injection moulded Chally 2 and I like a kit that gives a sense of achievment when built.

I will build more, and for British Armour fans I can also recommend Trumpeters AS90.

I can't wait for Panda to follow through with its proposed CVR(T) family.

Happy modelling :-)
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:41 PM UTC
Hi All
I'll second what Ant has said,the tracks are too tight.I've actually put them together using one of the holes instead of 2 and they still seem too tight.The stowage on the turret is a pain.The gun mantlet seems to fit in the turret too far forward and doesn't look right.Also it may have been my earlier post post that mentioned upside down parts etc
regards
Peter
rubberduck
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hi all
I have just brought Accurate Armours replacement Tracks/Sprocket set. However I have never seen tracks that are solid plastic (i normally model AFV that have the 'elastic band' type tracks). How on earth do you put them together???

cheers
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 07:38 AM UTC
Hi There
What you need for those tracks is either lots of hot water or a hair dryer.If you heat the (resin) track sections up they will become malleable and you should be able to gently bend them round the sprockets etc.When they cool they should retain their shape.
Just be careful how much heat you use.
HTH
Peter
rubberduck
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 08:49 AM UTC
cheers for that Peter I will give it a go!!!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 12:28 AM UTC
From what I've seen on reviews, of the Trumpeter Challenger2, it seems to be the best they do. However the As90, does need a major rebuild or alternatively the A. Armour conversion. I am also waiting for the Panda Strikers..... i suppose if you balance the low cost of the Trumpeter with the high cost of the improvement sets it sort of balances out.....Sort of.... Jim #:-)
 _GOTOTOP