_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DML Jagdtiger Henschel
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:23 PM UTC
Well worth another look! Great job Bill, I'd say the finish is your best to date. Thanks for the build log and sharing your weathering techniques.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 09:03 AM UTC
Thanks John and James, appreciate the comments.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 09:24 AM UTC
Bill, i have seen alot of your build logs and it seems like you weather each one of your models the same way. Do you ever get bored of doing this?
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 09:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill, i have seen alot of your build logs and it seems like you weather each one of your models the same way. Do you ever get bored of doing this?

John, thanks for your question. Each modeler evolves their own "style" I guess so in that sense I would agree that I tend to follow the same approach to weathering my models however that's not to say that each one is exactly the same, at least I don't view them that way. I will often try different variations to produce different looks or effects to experiment and sometimes those work, sometimes they don't. Those variations can take the form of different colors, different mixes, etc. or different finishes such as whitewash, camo/no camo, etc. Occasionally I'll read about a new technique or approach and give it a whirl or combine some things I've done on previous builds to see how they work together, again some work and some don't. I never get bored as I view each vehicle as its own separate project and the vehicle subject matter as well as the different schemes provide more than enough variety for my tastes.

I don't go in for the heavy weathering that others prefer for example, so in terms of how the "final" finish appears I can see where after a while they might look alike. That's part of the "style" approach I guess. But when I look at my shelf of completed builds, I can definitely see an evolution over time of how and when I added different techniques/methods into the repertoire and also discarded others along the way. The foundation or "comfort zone" has gotten larger over time so the different variations may not be that dramatic but they are still there, once a technique is "proven" to produce a certain result though I tend to stay with it unless something better comes along.
 _GOTOTOP