_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dingo Scout Car Question
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 06:08 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I'd like to check on what colour the inside of a desert Dingo Scout CAr would hav been. Would they have had the same internal colour as the outside or would the inside have been white?

Any thoughts.

Thanks

AL
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 08:32 PM UTC
Hi Alan In the few photos I have you can see the original colour-whatever that was

5th RTR 4th Arm'd Bde -note the stowage rack on the drivers side.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 09:36 PM UTC
Hi Alan

I have this little Tamiya kit along with the etch set for it in my collection of "awaiting time to build" so I'm interested to see what is said.

No doubt you've done a search on the internet, which I have done. It would appear from all the images I've seen that the interior would have been painted the same colour as the exterior.

I guess it makes sense considering the open aspect this vehicle has from above. The need to have it lightly coloured to assist in seeing such as in enclosed tanks doesn't arise with the little open topped armoured cars.

After a quck google search I can upwith some nice images and in particular this one which is great for showing interior detail.

http://www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/britkit/vehicles/images/dingoinside.jpg

Good luck with your searching. I'm going to do mine as per the exterior colour but maybe the floor and area of side walls going up from it was a different colour as shown in the picture. Be nice to know if this is correct.

all the best

Alan

P.S. Site address with additional links on its pages

http://www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/britkit/vehicles/
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the pic, excellent. same colour seems the only option I've come across as well.

Alan, thanks for the links, for reference there are pics on Warwheels and Toadmans that will help with your build.

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/dingo.htm

http://www.warwheels.net/DaimlerDingo2INDEX.html

I don't know how I missed this one when I was down at Bovington, still.

A couple more questions re the kit. Is part 18 supposed to be a fuel/water can and what exactly was part 40 the tall stack behind the driver for?

I'm using the Eduard PE set to upgrade a very old version I have, so we shall see how it turns out. very small parts lol, lol.

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated.

Al
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hi Alan

Thanks for the links, I've bookmarked them, but I have to say this bookmarking lark is starting to get out of hand. I'll need to get a P.A. to keep track and sort !!

Can't answer your build question. My kit is in a box, which one I don't know out of all the boxes I have with kits in, acting as what so many seem to do, loft lagging.

I really don't have a clue when I'll get to build it.

I got it as recompense to my late Dad who used to get upset ( more than I probably realised) at my fascination and pleasure at building German tanks as a young lad. I just used to say (thoughtlessly) because how really great they were.

He was captured at the fall of France, didn't make it to Dunkirk and spent a miserable existence in various POW camps for the rest of the war, so he had a somewhat understandably different perspective on the German war effort.

Alan

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:36 PM UTC
Hi Al

I suspect that the tower-shaped object behind the driver is the fuel tank - certainly seems to have pipework attached to it, and the stowage diagrams on Mindspring.com don't indicate that anything was put in it. More pics here:

http://panzerdesign.fr/Phototheques/photos/vehicules/dingo/Dingo.html

David
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hi Alan,

Yip, I can see how you dad might not have been overly happy about that, would certainly have a very different perspective.

David,

Thanks for the link, excellent pics and fuel tank sounds about right.

Most useful info guys, cheers

Al
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hi

Great link David, another bookmark for the collection.

Certainly looking at the close up pictures of the interior on the site does show it very clearly, with two screw topped filler caps, and a feed pipe with tap coming off makes the chances of it being the fuel tank pretty positive.

All restored vehicles seem to go with the interior the same colour as the exterior and I'd imagine they'd researched it quite thoroughly.

Alan
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:53 AM UTC
I think the iterior was left in the Green color, even when painted for desert use. I have also seen the footwell area painted with the Silver aluminium paint.

Certainly the later Ferret Mk1 used this scheme, with the area behind the driver being Green and the forward portion (not visible from above) in the Aluminium, perhaps this is where they got the idea from?

Keith.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hi Keith,

Thanks, I had considered the possibility that the inside might have been green depending on how quickly the vehicles were processes into the units. White also came to mind because of the heat and dark paint would turn the inside into a mini oven.

I'd go with the floor idea because it would have been worn smooth in places anyway.

Many thanks

Al
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

When I did mine I painted it white, but that was for a Normandy vehicle. When researching I saw both white and the external colour of the vehicle. It's likely that the pics posted show a dingo in green that was quickly painted up with a desert sand colour, hence the extensive chipping. The interior is in the original green i'd say, they were painted as such to give better camouflage from the air for this open topped vehicle.

Good luck with the project its a fun build that a bit of TLC can make into an excellent finished product.

Here are a couple of links to my build that might be of help/inspire you.

keep us posted with your progress,

James

Shropshire lads in Normandy feature

Dingo Build log
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 03:42 AM UTC
Hi James,

Thanks, I remember your're build, nice work.

Al
Mad_Dan_Eccles
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 08:23 AM UTC
[quote]

All restored vehicles seem to go with the interior the same colour as the exterior and I'd imagine they'd researched it quite thoroughly.

/quote]

I’d be a little careful about making such assumptions - restorers face many of the same issues that modellers do when deciding on colour schemes. Quite frankly sometimes the effort involved in tracking parts down and making the blasted thing work leaves little left over for detailed research into paint.

Dingoes were commonly thought of as open top vehicles despite the plates over the roof and the interior was usually ( never say "always" ) finished like the exterior **when the vehicle left the factory**. This also applies to softstkins - aluminium or white were generally reserved for enclosed armored vehicles and some special bodied vehicles like wireless trucks and ambulances as it would ted to compromise camouflage unless it was behind closed hatches

FWIW the IWM photos aren't untypical for desert vehicles of the period. Many were apparently given a quick squirt of Light Stone on the exterior only with the insides remaining as they came from the factory; in this case the European standard finish of the period - probably green or Khaki brown - is likely. (Interestingly some CMP vehicles originally finished in desert colours were later repainted in green while retaining the desert finish inside; if memory serves some NZ Army FATs showed this variation in post war years)

When a more extensive repaint was required the interior was often refinished in the same colour as the exterior so it wouldn’t be improbable to model a Dingo with a Light Stone finish inside and out
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC
Hi Aidiain,

Thanks, pretty much my thinking and what I've heard so far. Going with a Green interior and a Light Stone exterior.

Thanks for the info.

Al
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 01:29 PM UTC
If you look at this picture from above, you can clearly see the inside of the folded roof cover (facing skywards) is Green, this is the same background color as the interior!

Keith.
nolifoto
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 08:16 PM UTC
Putting in my two cents worth. I know that the general rule is, if it is an open vehicle like the dingo the color of the exterior would be the color of the interior. Even US Army vehicle are kept that way.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Putting in my two cents worth. I know that the general rule is, if it is an open vehicle like the dingo the color of the exterior would be the color of the interior. Even US Army vehicle are kept that way.

Yes, but as Aidrian pointed out above, the two colours match when the vehicle leaves the factory. In the field, most units wouldn't repaint the interior ever, yet the outside got repainted whenever orders said so. The point made about CMPS with Light Stone interiors & all kinds of exterior colours is quite true. These vehicles left the plant painted all over in Light stone, but lasted long enough to go to a different theatre with different camo regulations. Thus the exterior would be repainted as required, but the insides (and the undersides, BTW) would remain in the factory Light Stone.

HTH

Paul
 _GOTOTOP