_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Royal Wiltshire Yeomenry Tank Names?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 06:43 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I have the Echlon set of decals for the Royal Wiltshire Yeomenry. My question relates to an earlier period of the Regiment in 1942 and the Battle of El Alamein. At this time they were part of 9th Armd Bde, 2nd NZ Div

I believe they had a mixture of Grants, Crusaders and Shermans? The Co's Grant was called 'Trowbridge' the same name later used on his Sherman. Did the other Grants in the Regiment also use the same names as later appeared on the Mk III Shermans?

Does if the tank names were in Yellow or Black. Ie which Sqns had Grants and which Shermans or were they mixed up?

Any WD numbers to match any of the names on the Grants?

On another slightly different question does anyone know the depolyment of the Dingo Scout Car, during this period, who had them etc.

Many thanks for any info you might have.

Al
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:09 AM UTC
The Wiltshire Yeomanry is I believe a TA Regt based just outside Salisbury, if I am correct I will see what I can find out for you.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 06:24 PM UTC
Thanks Darren,

I've got some general outlines stuff from the Web and there is a fair amount about their Shermans but little on the Grants and Crusaders so far.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Anyone any thoughts on this one/

Al
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hi Al

A bit of poking around on Missing Links suggests the Grants belonged to C Squadron, and that A Squadron had Shermans and B a mixture of Crusader IIs and IIIs (and maybe IICS). No mixing of types between squadrons.

As the intermediate regiment in the brigade their tac signs would have been yellow (which may or may not be relevant for vehicle names).

Not much help with names but there was mention of a Grant called Claridges

Dingos should appear in the intercommunication troop of an armoured regiment, but I'm not sure how this worked in NA. Dingos are rare on the IWM site, the only one with visible markings was this one

Which may or may not help

All the best

David
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 04:21 AM UTC
Looking through the war diary of the 2nd Royal Gloucestershire Hussars here

http://www.warlinks.com/armour/2nd_rgh/2nd_rgh_41.html

They evidently had 10 scout cars when they started out in the desert which is the right size for an intercommunication troop.

David
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hi David,

Thanks once again for the references. From what I've been able to find out so far about the Wiltshire's tanks names they may have used the same names transfered across as the tanks were upgraded.

Kevin T kindly came up with this:

Not too much on Wiltshire Grants only "Trowbridge" I am afraid. But a little more on the Crusaders. B. Sqn "Melksham" T44875 and "Moonraker", RHQ "The Ship" T43745 and of course "Trowbridge" T44767 C.O. Lt. Col. Alistair Gibb.

So it would appear Trowbridge the CO's tank simple changed from a Crusader, to a Grant and then a Sherman. Moonraker is another that Turns up both as a Crusader and then later as a Sherman Moonraker II.

Squadron British Tank Markings and Names would seen to support this idea. Anyway I have enough to work on now.

Many thanks

Al
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:49 AM UTC
I will still and try to get hold of them, even if the info is no use at the time it may be in the future.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hi Darren,

Thanks it's always worth adding to and something new often pops up.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP