_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Russian Heavy (Cold War Campaign)
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 12:54 AM UTC
I have just completed Trumpeter’s IS-3M Russian Heavy Tank. The vehicle is a participant in Armorama’s “Cold War Cook Off” Campaign and is an out of the box build.

Trumpeter’s kit is well molded and easy to assemble with minimal clean up and virtually no fit issues. The hull shows some great weld detail and the casting marks on the turret are really well done. The 12.7mm external machine gun is a nifty little assembly, and the tracks are the one-piece rubber band type, (springy as all get out), and they don’t hold paint worth a hoot.

I attempted to get the pre-shade look on this IS and blew it, (again). A dark application of Model Master Marine Corp Green was shot in the nooks and crannies, followed with the MM Russian Armor Green base coat. I then mixed the base coat 50-50 with Dunkelgelb and applied to the flat areas, (so far so good). However once the weathering starts the pre-shade seems to get lost and disappears. High spots are dry brushed with steel and rail brown. Vehicle markings are not applied. Overall this Trumpeter IS3M is a very good kit that I would recommend to anyone.

Some really striking things about this vehicle design include its low silhouette, the “inverted frying pan” turret, and the pointed hull front. With its 122mm main gun, this tank reflects a pretty nasty piece of machinery.

I have included some pics for your review including a picture comparing the height of the IS-3M to an M-47 that I built long ago. Quite a difference.

As always, helpful comments are appreciated.

Steve

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC
Lord WWH, Da OD dude,

No matter what you says, you cannot deny that you are a hell of a modeller, the weathering is very effective, and the shades blended together really well, and reflects the ruggness of the tank.

Steve, it is

S - UPERERB CONSTRUCTION
E - FFECTIVELY WEATHERED
X - TREMELY MEAN LOOKING
Y - EAH!!!!!!!!

TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 03:50 AM UTC
Steve,

I have to agree with Dave. That is one good looking tank model. Very well done.

NOTE: I will henceforth deny that I ever agreed with Dave on anything. #:-)
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 04:26 AM UTC
Excellent build Steve...and yes your preshade does show up just enough ..it doesn't look over done ...congrat on a super build..

Rick
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 04:44 AM UTC
As I told you before, it looks awesome Steve!!! The paint job looks spot-on to me.

It seems like you are the first entrant to the campaign to have the tank done! Someone should set up a gallery somewhere so we can display all the finished models together. What do you all think? And how about that Campaign Ribbon? Any designs yet?

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 04:52 AM UTC
SteveWWH,

Hey man, you've done an excellent job again on your first Russian tank. I think you have put a lot of effort on painting the beast. I like the color you sprayed on it and I am gonna do it on my T55A.

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 04:57 AM UTC
One thing you might want to improve in your future tanks, Lord WWH. The headlight looked a bit opaque, and the white color seems to be a bit off, (but it could be the picture) you might want to try some of them testor clear glue to make lens, looked real clear, and you can paint the cup to achieve right lens colors.
RichSharpe
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 12:41 PM UTC
Great job WWH!

I really like the weathering job you did. The kit has a nice cast effect on the turret as well. Is that part of the kit or did you do that yourself?
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 12:45 PM UTC
A very nice clean Build.
I am going to use an MV lens in My Tamiya one.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The kit has a nice cast effect on the turret as well. Is that part of the kit or did you do that yourself?

Yes Rich, Trumpeter does a beautiful job molding the casting marks on the turret.

Quoted Text

Someone should set up a gallery somewhere so we can display all the finished models together. What do you all think? And how about that Campaign Ribbon? Any designs yet?

Bombster---Great questions --I am not sure who sponsored the Campaign however so I can't help you out.

Quoted Text

The headlight looked a bit opaque, and the white color seems to be a bit off, (but it could be the picture) you might want to try some of them testor clear glue to make lens, looked real clear, and you can paint the cup to achieve right lens colors

From now on I'm going to model them shot out or battle damaged---

Thanks for all the kind comments from the responders!!!
Steve
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 202 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 01:46 PM UTC
Another fine build Steve. Great weathering effect especially on the turret, gives it a very weighty look to it.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 02:43 PM UTC
WWH,

That has be one of the best finishes I have ever seen on a tank model. Very impressed over here. Brought out the cast texture, rust streaks, the whole smack. Outstanding.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 03:07 PM UTC
Congratulations WWH - I do believe you have the first completed model for this Campaign! I intend on setting up a Gallery Folder to display the completed models - unless Jim has a different idea - as the Campaign reaches the midpoint (May 22 I believe).

I haven't seen the projected Campaign Ribbon - yet - but rest assured your name is already on the hallowed roster.

Gunnie
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 08:43 PM UTC
Lovely finish Wewillhold. Even though you say the preshading doesnt show through, it does help the effect and maybe "perfect preshading" is more appropriate. The overall effect is stunning. Nice tones used for the towing ropes and spare tracks as well. Little things like this break up the mono-colour and add so much depth and life to the model.
This 3M style was ahead of its time and led to most future tanks lowering their silhouette. I have made the JS3 some time ago and agree its a lovely model. Its amazing how many trumpeter kits are being turned out now. Their quality and price is a mix that must be tempting!
TOMCAT14
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 09:34 PM UTC

Wow , I'm not a Armour Maniac - but when I see work like that and this pics - for more and more I liked that kind of modeling . Suberb job and wonderfull model.

Best Regards
Absolute Tomcat , 299 % Proof !!!
COMCARAIRWING
PIG#35
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 10:18 PM UTC
Great work Steve, congratulations. Are you going to build some more for this campaign?
Bravo!!!
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 03:53 AM UTC
Well, classes and finals are over......since I have nuthing to do I decided to create a ribbon design for our campaign:

What do you all think?

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 12:29 PM UTC
Very nice work Beermeister! I agree that the preshade you did is perfect. It may not be very visible but it should be very subtle in the first place. That turret looks like it's made of real cast iron! It looks like a mean squat bulldog beside that M-47.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 01:45 PM UTC
Love the model and the shading and paint are excellant. Well done!!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, classes and finals are over......since I have nuthing to do I decided to create a ribbon design for our campaign:

What do you all think?

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC

I like it. I went looking - but haven't found one submitted by FAUST - as of this time. We might go with this design.

Gunnie
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 04:18 AM UTC
nice build, paint looks great, very nice work

Bender
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 03:41 AM UTC
I think I will bring this back, for them not yet seen this, it's really an awesome tank.

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hi Lord WWH,

Just think you might like to see this. It's with the headlight cup painted silver, and added Testor Glue to make glass to achieve proper lens color.

Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 09:39 AM UTC
That is beautiful work I think the weathering is excellent particullary the plate metal and aroung the fuel cannisters.

Very nice :-)
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 09:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Lord WWH,

Just think you might like to see this. It's with the headlight cup painted silver, and added Testor Glue to make glass to achieve proper lens color.

Lord Fieldmarshal Davidus...
Did you just pour the glue into the cup shaped part, and let it dry that way, or did you spread it on another surface and let it dry before placing it in the cup shaped part?
 _GOTOTOP