_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
NZ Firefly T48 Tracks
fireontheway
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 368 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 03:56 AM UTC
I am building the Tasca Firefly (Excellent Kit), I discovered in a previous forum that the kit provided T62 tracks were not used on the New Zealand Fireflys in Italy. I have already decaled the vehicle as a NZ tank. I understand they used the T48 tracks, I also have found that the tracks most recommended are from RHSP. But I cannot find a website for them or anyone who sells them. The telephone # listed has been disconnected. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 04:40 AM UTC
RHPS was sold to Panda Plastics:

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/panda/panda.htm

You can contact the owner here: [email protected]

However, I'm curious. Where did you read that the NZ units did not use T62s? Certainly T48s were on M4A4s but the T62s were as common (from the factory). Did they actively change out the T62s?
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 04:50 AM UTC
I would think that you could model ANY of the track types for your NZ Firefly. IT does seem that the T48 track was popular in Italy- but they wore quickly.

Chris
fireontheway
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 05:37 AM UTC
I found this info on a previous forum here. I looked up British Armor, Pg 2 "Firefly Tracks", and there it was stated that NZ tanks used T48 track. Roy, you were involved in that particular post. So it would still be OK to use the T62 tracks for New Zealand?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 06:40 AM UTC
I'm only speaking from the fact that a goodly portion of M4A4s had T62 tracks installed from the factory. I know that T48s and T54E1s are also pictured on them. I think any of these three would be suitable for you. Good luck w/the Panda ones.

fireontheway
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC
Thanks Roy, but if the T62 are OK no sense in spending money on a set I really dont need. 1 last question are the T62 tracks all metal pads? Or are they a metal pad covered in rubber with a metal chevron?
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:21 AM UTC
This is what the Tasca Firefly markings sheet has to say about the NZ example.

The New Zealand 4th armored brigade was transferred from north Africa to the Italian front, and participated in the battles in Italy to the end of the war. On April 13, 1945, the main tank of the troop headquarters attachment encountered a Panther in northern Italy, the track was damaged. As for the tracks, it was not the T62 which is included with this kit. We have provided the ground extended connectors which are called “duck bills” for the T48, and the handrail around the radio receiver box. This unit had painted the aircraft identification mark (decal number 1) on the tanks, but an order was put out to move the mark from the engine deck to the top of the gun turret, so there is a possibility for vehicles to have marks in either of these places.

Tasca later came out with a version of the kit (Kit #35-L12) which included a set of Modelkasten T48 tracks.
fireontheway
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 04:48 AM UTC
Gary, thanks for your info, sorry so long to reply. I thought I had received the final word on this, but I guess I needed to read the instructions. I had seen the Tasca release with the tracks added, but I didnt put 2 and 2 together. I guess I should get a set of the ModelKasten Tracks after all. The only other changes for the NZ version would be a handrail at the radio armored cover?
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gary, thanks for your info, sorry so long to reply. I thought I had received the final word on this, but I guess I needed to read the instructions. I had seen the Tasca release with the tracks added, but I didnt put 2 and 2 together. I guess I should get a set of the ModelKasten Tracks after all. The only other changes for the NZ version would be a handrail at the radio armored cover?

Unfortunately, reading the instructions might not help unless you know Japanese. I've been working on translating the Firefly VC instructions, off and on, for a few months now. I don't know much Japanese myself but I figured I'd be able to do some translation with the help of Babelfish. This has meant typing in the Japanese characters (Unicode) then sticking it into Babelfish to get a rough (Engrish) translation. That's pretty much done now and I'm slowly trying to translate from Engrish to English.

I think the handrail they speak of is part F16 in step 22.

fireontheway
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 01:35 PM UTC
Yea my Japanese is like my German, Spanish, or Dutch, nonexistant. I'm pretty good with pig-latin, but other than that...... Thanks again Gary for your help, and for interpreting the directions. I am trying to find a set of ModelKasten tracks right now to purchase.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 01:57 PM UTC
[quote]Yea I am trying to find a set of ModelKasten tracks right now to purchase. [/quote

If you are looking for T-48 tracks, I would go with AFV club track rather than Modelkasten. Modelkasten Sherman track is, IMO, overly complicated to construct.]
fireontheway
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:20 PM UTC
Thats exactly what I did. I found a set of AFV Club tracks on E-Bay and ordered them yesterday. I had an idea the ModelKasten tracks would be a little more work than I was looking for. As for the "duckbills" Gary mentioned, I can't see a need for them in the Italian Theatre so I was going to use the premise they would not be installed on all NZ Firefly's.
 _GOTOTOP