_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Masterbox - USMC & Japanese Sets
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:01 PM UTC
Masterbox Ltd has now confirmed three sets we ran as an advance story a few months ago. The sets are (one each) of Japanese and U.S.M.C. with a third containing two figures of each nationality. Full details of what will be again very innovative sets from the comapny (including images of the figures in-process) can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:14 PM UTC
Yeah that's really rock !!!!!
Thanks M. Masterbox !!!
Chas you better think twice befoe painting your airfix figures for your marvellous dio

Best,
Juien
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:59 PM UTC
I think that Masterbox is one of the most innovative figure produces on the market right now.
Havent seen a set yet that wouldnt be useful.

Cheers
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 01:21 AM UTC
I'd love to know why it's taken around 30 years for a Japanese infantry set to appear in plastic...

It's not an area that particularly interests me, but a lot of people ARE very interested in this theater. It's also significant that every 'wish-list' which appears has Japanese Infantry somewhere in the top 2-3.

Frankly, with every new release announced by Masterbox, the 'majors' are looking less and less reflective of the interests of modelers and thru their various 'Shills' are telling the buying public what they MUST buy. We're in a great period (particularly for Allied modelers) but it keeps getting better thanks to the imagination of companies like Masterbox or MiniArt...
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's not an area that particularly interests me

its not really an area that interests me either, but my mind is running all over the place looking at these three sets. Its been a long time since a release got me as excited and dreamy. Definatly can see myself picking up this triology, and some of the recent wishlist being scrapped in their favour!
mciszewicz
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 01:58 AM UTC
Well, the main problem with major injection molded figure kit manufacturers - yes, I am looking at you, DML - is that almost all of their figures are painfully static. Just check the Gen2 lineup, folks. Either static or mostly static poses. Now, I guess I can understand the motive, since most of them are supposed to be a dressing on top of a cool looking tank... but damn, it's not realistic, in the slightest.

Now, what MB is doing, is giving people the option to build a really exciting models and dioramas without a single vehicle present and without any major alterations in the figures. We've all seen the previews of the Tarawa 1-in-3 set, and a couple of us have the previous Russo-German one. With proper composition, one would not need a single piece of military hardware to make an exciting diorama.

Atually, there was a diorama like this once. "29th Let's Go" by M. C. Leung. Not a scrap of heavy metal all pure figure work. With MB kits one almost gets something like that in a box.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, the main problem with major injection molded figure kit manufacturers - yes, I am looking at you, DML - is that almost all of their figures are painfully static. Just check the Gen2 lineup, folks. Either static or mostly static poses.

I'd add to that by saying that, IMO, technically the Gen II figures are superb. However, when they don't go that one step further and actually have them 'doing' something (pointing DOESN'T count) it seems as if they're not so imaginative as they'd like us to believe...
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 02:16 AM UTC
Damn.... more must have figures, and I'm not a figure modeller.
mciszewicz
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 02:19 AM UTC
I must agree, Jim. Gen2 kits are a testament to remarkable engineering abilities of DML model and pattern makers. Yet, while the detail looks excellent - weapons and personal gear for instance - the big picture isn't all that flattering. Of course, there are kits with a bit more dramatic poses, "Last Battle" for instance, but the majority looks like "Germania Regiment France" with people standing stiff. For a small post-battle dio, next to a tank or whatnot, it's ok. For a bigger dio, or a vignette without heavy metal, sorry.

In conclusion, I can see a solution many will take. I'm not saying MB detai work is bad, on the contrary - I happen to like their figures, gear and weapons inluded. However, for that extra detailed look, there are bits boxes with DML Gen2 leftovers, no?
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, the main problem with major injection molded figure kit manufacturers - yes, I am looking at you, DML - is that almost all of their figures are painfully static. Just check the Gen2 lineup, folks. Either static or mostly static poses. Now, I guess I can understand the motive, since most of them are supposed to be a dressing on top of a cool looking tank... but damn, it's not realistic, in the slightest..

I use the phrase "Hang-arounds" for them:

Cheers
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Chas you better think twice before painting your airfix figures for your marvellous dio

It would have been great if MB released this last year, I have already painted all of my Airfix Japanese figures for my Starcevich VC diorama! Not to worry, my next 4 dioramas planned are all set in the Pacific Theatre, so I will definitely be buying MB's Japanese for those.

I am also happy that Masterbox chose the Special Naval Landing Forces to represent rather than the Imperial Japanese Army (although this could easily be re-arranged by simple conversions). This is somewhat convenient for me, as I have a diorama planned to be set at KB Mission, Milne Bay, where the 5th Sasebo and 5th Kure SNLF spearheaded the Japanese attacks.

I am looking forward to the release,
Chas
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 03:34 AM UTC
Freakin' awesome. I am really looking forward to get these figures!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 04:32 AM UTC
I have to admit that these three releases makes you want to build a figure diorama using all or a combination of the three sets. Great work Masterbox.
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 04:46 AM UTC
must haves
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 07:11 AM UTC
Oh yea!!!!! Almost as good as sex. Don't tell my wife I said that. I have the russian/german set and now am in my glory. Dio's coming up!!!!!! Dam, wonder if I'll live long enough to build them all?
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:19 AM UTC
YES! Hats off to you, Masterbox. Awesome kits.

Mike

Dilips
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 04:34 PM UTC
I agree. The DML Gen 2 sets are often a little static. Some of the best sets by DML are some of the older ones which can be improved with gen 2 equipment.I still like "desperate defence" for originality: rag tag soldiers in mismatched uniforms getting ready for an attack.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 08:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I still like "desperate defence" for originality

Strange that - as it was the first of the GenII sets, a lot of people say the same thing. It's for me, one of the most useful of any of their sets....
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 09:19 PM UTC
I've just been e-mailed from the company to say thet they won't be released until the AUTUMN...

However, as we've waited around 20 years(more?) for a new Japanese Figure set, a few more months should be bearable...
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 03:26 PM UTC
It's autumn now in the northern hemisphere right? Does this mean we can expect to see these figures released any day now?

I'm very excited.

Chas
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's autumn now in the northern hemisphere right? Does this mean we can expect to see these figures released any day now?

No, it doesn't. Masterbox is a small company and directly related to this, things DON'T get as quickly released as they do from larger companies. So, please be patient.
NickZour
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 06:16 AM UTC
It looks very nice
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 06:29 AM UTC
Have to say Jim I was only talking to Henk the other night and saying I wish these 3 sets were in the shops.
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 06:45 AM UTC
Does anyone know. Will u be able to make lots of different poses with multiple box's like the German-Russion sets
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No, it doesn't. Masterbox is a small company and directly related to this, things DON'T get as quickly released as they do from larger companies. So, please be patient.

Ok Jim. The reason for my impatience is that I am staring at my box of DML Japanese infantry thinking 'shall I build them, or shall I wait for MB's set and they'll end up twice as good!'

Quoted Text

Does anyone know. Will u be able to make lots of different poses with multiple box's like the German-Russion sets

I believe so. If the German-Russian sets are anything to go by you should be able to interchange parts quite easily and create some pretty dynamic scenes and poses.

Chas
 _GOTOTOP