Hosted by Darren Baker
Leclerc MBT
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 01:00 AM UTC
does anybody know which version of the Leclerc is resembled in the Heller kit?
it seems that currently there are 7 marks in use. but this could also be a misunderstanding from my side.
I would like to built a Saudi Arabian or Abu Dhabi version. for the Saudi Arabian version a
larger engine deck, with stronger engine and larger fuel barrels has been introduced.
I doubt that the Heller kit would offer exactly this variant--but who knows??

thanks, werner
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 02:57 AM UTC
The AMPS website doesn't think very highly of it and I have read that the vehicle represents a prototype and not even an initial production vehicle. I do not know much about the LeClerc so building one OOB for me is no big deal. Hope you find the information you are looking for.

Here is one man's take on the kit's shortcomings. It is from 1997: LeClerc
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC
Below is a link to a review/build article by Matthew Malogorski. The Heller kit is of the initial production version. I don't know how many upgrades they have done since that time but Terre Models makes a couple of resin conversion kits for the Leclerc which are available through Blast models. I have the Heller kit along with one of the Terre conversions in my to-do pile. The Leclerc looks good in the box but I have not tried any dry fitting, and as both articles say, the kit apparently has some problems. The Terre kit I have is for the Rt-5 which I believe is the one that was used in Kosovo. It is nicely done and construction looks pretty straight forward (no major cutting or hacking to do) With some work the kit can be made into a very good looking model. Also you might want to check out Rodolphe Uguen's Leclerc in the gallery here or on "Full Metal Jacket" it was built with the Terre conversion and and he did a great job.

HTH
Mike

http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/fullmetal/leclerc/lecart.html
 _GOTOTOP