Hosted by Darren Baker
Sheridan finally done
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 03:09 AM UTC
I finished eighty percent of this kit quite a few months ago, but dragged my feet on the tracks which I eventually bought. Any comments welcome.

Hekler
Visit this Community
Kyyv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 03:27 AM UTC
Great job.
Beautiful Tank and figures.

Leonid
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 03:33 AM UTC
Looks really nice. Good job strapping everything down so it doesn't fall off when the vehicle moves, a common mistake. What did you do about the Academy tracks? Looks like you either replaced them or filed in every empty track pad hole. Nice model.
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 01:28 PM UTC
Yes, I used Friulmodel tracks, Eduard PE and the Legends accessory kit for this model. As a matter of fact, the kit was the cheapest thing.

Although, this kit has copped a bashing , it builds up quite nicely I think.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 01:42 PM UTC
Brett- marvelous job. Which kit is this--- the Jaguar, Tamiya or another? Very nice
DJ
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 01:42 PM UTC
Very Cool Build. Like the paintjob and the figures.
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 02:01 PM UTC
Looks great! Fantastic weathering. Don't forget the headlights and periscopes in the commander's cupola.
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brett- marvelous job. Which kit is this--- the Jaguar, Tamiya or another? Very nice
DJ

It's the Academy kit.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DJ

It's the Academy kit.

Wow! You did a great job, brings a tear to my eye.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 03:37 AM UTC
Turned out looking really great Brett.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 07:39 AM UTC
nice build! I didn't see a unit number on it though, so I'll assume it's a fictional track. Never saw so many Merrimite cans on one track, so that tells me they were eating good! The guys all were wearing flak jackets, and that's kind of a no no. What with there being no mud; I'd have to assume were well into the dry season and 120 degree temps. Also being shot with a flak jacket one was many times worse than not having one on. Boots were bloused, and that was not very common unless it was a headquarters unit (the letter C in Canary would probably mean that it was in Charlie Troop something or another).
The searchlite was not all that common on them, but there were a few. And I like that! I have to assume that all the jerry cans were for water, as they never carried deisel fuel on the outside. You should denote that they are for potable water or just water. Also if it was a Cav unit you might want to put a large can (like what juice comes in) beside the machine gun. This was full of transmission grease, and used to cool the barrel after a belt and a half went thru it. Many Sheridans also had a brush guard attached to the front to protect the driver's face. Also most all of them had a roll of chain link fench hung up on the back to stop RPGs. A very very nice late war Sheridan to say the least.
gary
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 07:23 PM UTC
Well thanks for all the comments. With regards to accuracy, Gary pointed out some faults such as the flak jackets being worn in the dry season. I did very little research and just bought the accessory set and figures for this kit and would have to assume that they based this on some photographic evidence? If I was building for a competition, I would definitely have done some research, bought some books, etc. This is my fifth tank model and I am trying to concentrate on the painting/weathering side before I tackle accuracy since this costs more and I am trying to complete models more quickly.
trickymissfit
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well thanks for all the comments. With regards to accuracy, Gary pointed out some faults such as the flak jackets being worn in the dry season. I did very little research and just bought the accessory set and figures for this kit and would have to assume that they based this on some photographic evidence? If I was building for a competition, I would definitely have done some research, bought some books, etc. This is my fifth tank model and I am trying to concentrate on the painting/weathering side before I tackle accuracy since this costs more and I am trying to complete models more quickly.

It's not really inaccurate to put a flak jacket on the guys, but once you found out about them you just didn't wear one unless you had mortar rounds raining down on you. The water can markings was an important thing because we used two completely different kinds of water over there. So normally we just painted a letter "P" on them. Lastly just for your information, almost nobody ever hitched a ride atop a Sheridan. They just were not a good ride, and there were always a bunch of APCs running with them. I also noticed that you had rubber butt pads on the shotguns; we only wish they had them!! Also regarding the stowage racks added to the turrets. I've seen every style you could think of as well as the OEM ones. Most common ones I saw were simply made of angle iron welded to the turret in whatever shape they wanted at the time (so you can't really go wrong there). Up North the guys often added the extra piece of armor to the front of the tank as that was the weakest spot.
Like I said that maybe the best looking Sheridan I've ever seen. Keep up the great work.
gary
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The guys all were wearing flak jackets, and that's kind of a no no ... Also being shot with a flak jacket one was many times worse than not having one on.
gary

Gary - some interesting insights there, not least about flak jackets! What you say surprises me since a lot of the actual combat footage (newsreels etc) of Vietnam that I've seen shows troops in flak jackets (I'm not disputing what you say, obviously - especially since it appears that you're talking from first-hand experience. I'm just surprised to learn this, that's all).

Why was it worse taking a round while wearing a flak jacket?

Brett - love your build. You don't see too many Sheridans either, which is a shame because it's a great-looking little tank. You've made a great job of yours. I love the "organised randomness" of the stowage, and as Gary says the searchlight is a nice touch.

Did you use much AM stuff apart from the tracks, or is it mostly an OOB build?

- Steve
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 01:47 AM UTC
Excellent build. Looks very realistic, dirty and "lived in".

Thanks for sharing
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I used Legends productions accessory set and Eduard PE. I tend to build Academy kits because I can get them cheaply here and the Sheridan has always fascinated me, because of its complex turret shape and dual purpose gun.
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 03:36 AM UTC
Nice build, I wish I could do that.
markdrake
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:00 AM UTC
Well done, I've always liked the Sheridan-
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
Armorama: 1,105 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 07:29 AM UTC
Nice job on the Sheriden Brett. Thanks for sharing. Well done.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 08:19 AM UTC
You have to dirty those jungle boots! Only a Funny New Guy (FNG) would have those shiny things. Great job.
marsiascout
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,247 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 09:20 AM UTC
A fantastic model!

Lars
trickymissfit
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The guys all were wearing flak jackets, and that's kind of a no no ... Also being shot with a flak jacket one was many times worse than not having one on.
gary

Gary - some interesting insights there, not least about flak jackets! What you say surprises me since a lot of the actual combat footage (newsreels etc) of Vietnam that I've seen shows troops in flak jackets (I'm not disputing what you say, obviously - especially since it appears that you're talking from first-hand experience. I'm just surprised to learn this, that's all).

Why was it worse taking a round while wearing a flak jacket?

Brett - love your build. You don't see too many Sheridans either, which is a shame because it's a great-looking little tank. You've made a great job of yours. I love the "organised randomness" of the stowage, and as Gary says the searchlight is a nice touch.

- Steve

sorry for the late post, but here's why. The design of a flak jacket is nothing like a bullet proff vest like the guys wear now adays. If by chance a round gets thru a flak jacket it comes out about three times the size it was on impact, and that can be ugly. Also it will drag bits and pieces of Kevlar into your torso creating an infection on second to wood splinters inside of you.
If you were breaking jungle, you'd probably be wearing a long sleeved shirt. All able bodies would be in foot (as I said being on top a track is not a good thing when in the thick of things). Helmets were pretty much the uniform of the day, but not always. The guys on foot would each have two to three belts of 7.62 wrapped around them. But if these same guys were in more or less open areas they'd probably be wearing bush hats and tee shirts (120 degrees this time of year). Boots would be very scuffed up and mostly a tan colors on the heels and toes. Boots usually were not bloused except in the dense covered areas (leeches) due to excessive heat.
So why do all the news reels show them wearing flak jackets? Marines had to wear them, and the fellows back in the rear always grabed them. We knew better. I'd suggest you goto the First Squadron of The First Armored Cav's website and look at pics. This was a top of the line outfit that also happened to have the highest KIA ratio of any unit in RVN. Cameramen never went with CAV units cause they knew these guys always looked for a fight. I hated tagging along with them as well.
gary
 _GOTOTOP