Hosted by Darren Baker
a little help
cj_baller
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 12:17 AM UTC
I AM A NEW MODEL MAKER AND I AM LOOKING FOR A LITTLE ADVICE. I AM CURRENTLY CREATING A SCENE FROM THE BATTLE OF MOGADISHU (BLACK HAWK DOWN) AND I NEED SOME ADVICE ON HOW TO CREATE THE SAND EFFECT AND DISTINGUISH ROADS FROM THE SAND. ALSO HOW TO ENSCIRBE THE BRICK WORK ON THE WALLS WHICH I AM GOING TO MAKE......THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 12:33 AM UTC
Hi,
Im on my fisrt diorama also, and building brick work and tracks, this is what ive done- ive built the bases of my buildings from 5mm artist foam board and then ive cut out my bricks from card board, pasted them on using a 50/50 dilute pva glue/ water base. When thats on ive gone over it a couple of times with the dilute pva to harden it. Then ive used a runny plaster which ive mixed and painted the whole of the building, but making sure that its not so thick that you cant see the motar lines between the bricks. For my base im using plaster again but slightly thicker and with crushed up kitty litter, will hopefully give the impression of sand. I think for the roads you wouyld need to have a slightly higher bank where the road ends to simulate the compression of the roads by7 the vehicles. Probably the best thing to do is look on the internet or books at pictures of dirt track and sand roads and the buildings of the area that you are doing in your diorama.
But im sure withing half a day you'll get much more advice form the guys on this site.
Look forward to seeing you dio when its done. Welsome to the site.
Martin
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 01:29 AM UTC
CJ, what material are you going to use to make the walls?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 02:34 AM UTC
The sand that I have done in the past has been - sand. I put down a thin layer of household spackle and shape it accordingly - flat for empty lots, ruts for road, humps down the middle of the road. Study pictures from the area and get an idea.
Then take some dirt/sand that is fine in grain (grind it if necessary). Then mix it into a water/white glue mix. Apply the mix over the spackle.
For varied size rocks etc use kitty litter. Be careful when adding kitty litter to water/glue mix, it absorbs water. Use more glue than water.

Bricks are fairly easy - take a piece of base wall material - foam board, styrene, bass wood (seal wood before applying water based products to avoid warping). Apply a very thin 1mm - 1.5mm of wall spackle. Let it dry, while it drys go measure the brick on your house. Scale them down to the proper size. Sand down the spackle to a smooth surface. Then using a ruler and pencil- carefully layout a grid off bricks on the spackle. Then using a dental pick/exacto blade (the back of it) or some other etching tool etch out the mortar seams.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 05:53 AM UTC
C.J. correct me if I am wrong but i think the buildings you wish to build had rendered walls rather than brick work.
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 09:02 AM UTC
if your doing rendered walls, i find pasting on blotting paper with dilute pva works well.
cj_baller
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:02 AM UTC
cheers for all of your help i will send some pics of my finished piece, but it will take a while as i am currently doing my gcse's at school
does anyone have any advice on creating a rubble effect and how to colour it, eg what colours, and how to whether the buildings. #:-)
thanks for your help in advance
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:37 AM UTC
This article has some very good rubble in it. Check this and start with that.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/142
 _GOTOTOP