Hosted by Darren Baker
Karl Morser driver hatch Q
DoctorFaust
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:59 PM UTC
Anyone know how the driver's hatch on a Karl Morser opens? I'm building the Hobby Boss 1/72 version and I just put a lot of effort into getting the driver compartment all nice and tidy and the very next step tells me to seal a lid over the whole thing! I'd like to leave it open but I cannot find any reference as to how it opens and/or if it's hinged somewhere.

Thanks
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 12:52 AM UTC
The hatch was really a protective cover for the driver's compartment when the gun was in operation. If the Morser needed driving, the lid would be removed (and I assume just laid down), the driver would get in, move the morser and then cover the area again before the gun was operated.

In a sense it was an operator's station since the morser wasn't really a SPG in the typical sense.
mykman
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hi

I`m building now the same model , http://www.attilaproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598 here is the link for it. The hatch is optional. it is`nt hinged or something. If the mortar moves it is put asside , when is shooting it is covered the drivers compartment.
DoctorFaust
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 01:05 PM UTC
Nice! Your scratchbuilding work is making me jealous. Did you have problems fitting the back plate, too? I noticed a lot of putty. I just got to that step and was trying to figure out what I did wrong to leave such huge gaps.
mykman
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 09:09 PM UTC
Thanks ! You are going to some upgrages or just building out from the box ?
The fitting of the rear panel is not perfect , and it`s missing some welding marks on the bottom side.
But I think some putty will do
DoctorFaust
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 04:13 PM UTC
OOB for me. I've given up on PE and sractchbuilding till I get better at just gluing bits together.
 _GOTOTOP