_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Universal Carrier Mk I - Resicast Conversion
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi John,

Glad you got you PC sorted OK and thanks for dropping in.

I've been working on the ariel and fittings for the RHS. Serious ariel Got it finished this evening and wired to the set. Also added the PE to the rear bulk stowage and wired in the rear light.

to get the rear bulk stowage to sit square I shall have to add a little filler to one of the blankets on the LHS but that shoudln;t be a problem once i get the contraption glued in place.

some pics

Yesterday:

This evening

Will need to add a little to the blankek here on the LHS.

Cheers

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 08:05 PM UTC
Cripes Al! It's loaded up like the Griswalds family truckster...
She looks beaut mate. I reckon the front stowage with the spare roadwheel looks good, and gives balance to the vehicle (visual balance that is) The rear stowage looks grand, and boy is that antenna mount something
I reckon your base is a happening thing too. Still very tempted to have a bash at a desert diorama, but I need to clear the decks first...
Brad
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 04:24 AM UTC
Hi Brad,

Thanks or looking in and the comments. Nice change from the OD and a chance to try out some alternative paints.

The ariel is not too difficult to build. The danger part is the small resin square, you need to take care cutting that as you only have one to play with.

Your M4 is looking the business, just makes me want to build another Sherman

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 09:47 PM UTC
Hi folks,

I've been working on a camo scheme for the vehicle, trying out a few things. Working with enamel is so different from acrylic paint

basic layout:

where I'm at now!!!

Al
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:28 AM UTC
I'm keeping an eye on this thread, your work is great and your log will come in handy when I eventually get started on my Bren carrier (PTO). Your diorama is forming up nicely.

Chas
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hi Chas,

Thanks for dropping in. As usual my additional refence material arrived as I'm nearing the end of the buildlol, lol, but I got a copy of Nigel Watson's Universal Carrier book. Looks like a seriously good read and reference document covering the whole range of carriers. Not cheap but worth it from a first look.

Point to note on the kit, Whilst looking at some reference pics I noticed that Part DF the antenna hold down bar has the bend facing outwards and I had fitted it as per the instructions. Several pictures would suggest that this part had the curved short end facing inwards but there may have been variations that I just haven't seen yet.

Al
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 04:26 AM UTC
Al, What is the dark color on the carrier? Dan
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 06:12 AM UTC
Hi Dan,

Blue/Black Disruptive from White Ensigns. Scc No 14

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:31 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Been doing a bit more on the camo. I'd appreciate some fedback on this 'worn look' in trying to achieve. I haven't painted that many desert vehicles and using White Ensign enamel's, is somewhat different from my normal water based paints.

some pics for comment.

looking a bit 'white' in places but I hoope you see where I'm trying to go

If this doesn't work then it's no biggie to repaint it with a hard edge finish, so say what you think guys OK

Thanks

Al
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 02:05 AM UTC
Al, I like! It looks like it has been thru a sand storm (poor crew) or two. Dan
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hi Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well the main build is about done. I have added a small 4" Bomb thrower to the bracket that came with the kit and fashioned a trigger for the inside. Also added the front water/petrol stowage rack and can. I'm starting work on the weapons and stores to go in and around the vehicle. There are a mix of things here, some Resicast items from the Carrier Mk I Stowage Set, some Ultracst SMLEs and Bren ammo boxes, and some Accurate Armour Items and odds and sods.

I have also added a further spare wheel to the LHS and slung between it and the rear stowage will be one of AA's stretchers. I will add a Thompson somewhere in the scene the one form the Bronco Humber/Staghound? Lots of small items to be cleaned up and added. There wil be no additional brens in the vehicle other than the rea/front mounted one, so they will keep for further projects. I'm undecided about adding the 2" mtr but if I do I'll do a box with some bombs in it. With the open bins I'll have to make/find some appropriate small items to put in them.I'll also need to add the mike and headphones to the radio.

some pics of where I'm at now:

Possible stowage items

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 06:22 AM UTC
some upfates

I have added the P.O.W. cans to the rear, a little more work to do on the bulk stowage cans and 2 supports to add there. Added an ariel and a SMLE to the front drivers compartment in place of a Bren. Started work on the internal large stowage, for the rear LHS compartment and have personal gear, water bottles, grenades etc to do for the open bins

The first couple of shots show it with the 2" mtr. Do you think it might be a bit over armed with this and the bren and AT rifle plus the 4" bomb thrower I added to the RHS?

Other works to do are the lights and stowage for the front and possibly a small flag on a pole.

Comments on the altered paint job would be appreciated, it's looking much better I think a bit sharper?????????

enough talk some pics:

The first 4 are with the 2" mtr on top

the last 3 without

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well this one is about at an end. I've added some pseronal wbbing, the 2 support brackets for the rear bin, sorted the internal stowage for the rear LHS compartment and added some items to the front bins. Also added the front stowage, 2" mtr bren gun and a stretcher to the side. The onlt remaining items to be decided are whether to add the water can to the front RHS fender and a helmet to the LHS light, sort out a crewman for inside/outside the vehicle. I might add a radio operator sitting on top of the stowage, but as the ariel is down I may just connect the mike and phones and leave it at that. Those items can be sorted on the dio, so I'll call this one done.

Hope you enjoyed the build. My thanks to those who contributed to the build.

Al

jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 07:47 AM UTC
Marvelous work once again Al !!
My desktop photos folder is getting filled up with all your shots.
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi John,

Many thanks for you comments and your support during the Blog. There were times I just felt like giving up the response was so poor.

Got a lot of fun from the build though

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi John,

Many thanks for you comments and your support during the Blog. There were times I just felt like giving up the response was so poor.

Got a lot of fun from the build though

Al

Hi Al,
Sorry, I'm one of the guilty culprits !!
I've got into the bad habit of taking a peek at the various postings, especially the build logs, and then waiting until they're completed to make any comments,.... my bad !!
Anyway, keep up the great work, your "retconned" UC has inspired me to modify an already built Cromwell from my collection.
I'm planning to convert it to a "what if" 17pdr SP similar to the Churchil 3" gun Carrier, sort of a "JagdCromwell".
I'll try and get some photos posted when I get it finished.
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 09:02 AM UTC
Hi John,

You could just build the A34 Comet , I'll expect lots of pics, just to view not to comment on lol, lol. No worries.

Have fun.

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 09:41 AM UTC
Hi Al,
Just imagine if the Avenger, Challenger, Comet or Firefly projects didn't work out as plannned.
The British War Office would have needed something to deal with the heavier German tanks
I want to build a "what if" vehicle based on the Centaur/Cromwell hull, just like the Archer was built on the Valentine hull.
Thanks for the suggestion but I have the Bronco Comet and want to save it for another project.
Cheers

jjumbo
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 04:37 PM UTC
What a great finish, Al, I've followed along as one of the 'silent ones',mainly because I wasn't familiar at all with this vehicle. The finish and all the details are a real treat, and in the end I've learned a bit more about this Carrier. Thanks for taking the time to share all this with us.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 09:56 PM UTC
Hi James,

No worries, and thanks for the comments and posting at the end of the blog, much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed the build.

Cheers

Al
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 03:20 AM UTC
Al, This little guy is packing on the firepower! Dan
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 04:34 AM UTC
Hi Dan,

That it is, thanks for looking in.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

A quick update on the carrier build. I made an error in bending the antenna and fixing it in to the holder. This type of ariel was fixed. The antenna base could tilt forward there-by allowing the antanna o be fixed into the holder. You can model the antenna holder in a forward position to achieve this, so I've correct this error by adding a straight length of antenna instead. Maybe next time (it's in the instructions, just didn't register - my thanks to Graham for that one)

Al
 _GOTOTOP