Hosted by Darren Baker
Anybody take Braille Scale seriously?
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 170 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 12:29 PM UTC
I have built kits in both 1/35 and 1/72 scale but always seem to gravitate to braille scale. Sometimes I feel a little left out because of the overwealming popularity of 1/35. I've built a few 1/35 vehicles probably out of peer pressure more than anything else but the 1/72 kits have the lowest life expectancy in my stash. Are there other modelers out there that prefer 1/72 over 1/35 or at least take 1/72 seriously?
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 12:38 PM UTC
I chose to build 1:72 in preference to 1:35 when I moved over from my normal aircraft builds. I have a lot of 1:35 kits in my stash, but prefer 1:72 almost exclusively now.

Cheers

Mike
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 01:06 PM UTC
I split the difference and build 1/48.

I just wish there was somebody besides Tamiya making good, inexpensive kits.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 01:25 PM UTC
There are many model sites devoted solely to 1/72 or smaller scales. Right now, Dragon sets the scale for 1/72 scale kits but that doesn't mean there aren't other companies that take Braille scale seriously.

Once upon a time we had a site called On The Way. It was the mecca for Braille scalers, like PMMS is for 1/35 reviews. It has fallen into disrepair the last year and the previous owner is trying to take control of it once again.

The majority of my modeling trophies are from 1/72 scale kits. My last award on 30 May was a first place for a 1/72 scale Hasegawa CCKW 363 fuel truck. I'd guess at least 10 of my trophies are from small scale armor kits.
Exequiel
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 04:38 PM UTC
i used to work almost exclusively with 35scale armor, but in the past couple of years i haven't done any. if ever i work on armor kits nowadays its in braille. this is mainly due to professional and personal reasons (having work plus a couple of hyper toddlers somehow took its toll on the hobby, hehe). i found out working in braille somehow was a compromise for me. if i want to still be in the hobby, i better work in braille. the advantage herein i found out is less build time, less space, etc. don't get me wrong, i love braille armor and dont regret the switch. i don't think braille modeling is far behind with those who are into bigger scale. in fact, in several instances i have read in this forum that braille builders sometimes surpass those who are into big scales. just take a look at the wonderful entries at braillescalecomp.com and other sites dedicated to small scales and i think you'd understand what i mean.

so for your question does anybody take braille scale seriously? you betcha!
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 05:05 PM UTC
Go to the Missing-Lynx braille forum. Some of the stuff you see there is incredible -you could not tell it's not 1/35.

I like 1/72. There are different reasons to build it. Some of the stuff you can only buy in this scale. Some would be too big for me in 1/35 (time, money, space). Also a good choice if you don't want to build all the Sherman/pnzIV/whatever variant in 1/35. And some of these kits are simply too awesome to miss.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 05:12 PM UTC
I build in both (also a little 1/48th). To me it is whether the kit or project intrigues me, not the scale. I have a platoon of M4A1s in 1/72nd, I never would have had the room in 1/35th, but I am really looking forward to getting a new M4A3(76) in 1/35th, even though I'm working on a platoon of them in 1/72nd. I think that folks get too hung up on scale, its the kits themselves that count.

John
FuNsTeR
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 243 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There are many model sites devoted solely to 1/72 or smaller scales. Right now, Dragon sets the scale for 1/72 scale kits but that doesn't mean there aren't other companies that take Braille scale seriously.

Once upon a time we had a site called On The Way. It was the mecca for Braille scalers, like PMMS is for 1/35 reviews. It has fallen into disrepair the last year and the previous owner is trying to take control of it once again.

The majority of my modeling trophies are from 1/72 scale kits. My last award on 30 May was a first place for a 1/72 scale Hasegawa CCKW 363 fuel truck. I'd guess at least 10 of my trophies are from small scale armor kits.

i mainly deal in 1/72 but i much prefer Revell to Dragon, Revell's PANZER IVs, PANZER IIIs and Comet tanks are my favourite all time kits as for Dragon the seem to be turning away or downsizing its committment to the 1/72 scene, then their is Academy who are starting to bring out some interesting subjects along with the future release of the Oshkosh (Hemtt)
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 06:07 AM UTC
I've only ever built one 1/72 kit, a Dragon Jagdpanther. It was great fun with good detail, but I found it just too small for my eyes and fumbly fingers to work with. So I mostly stick to 1/35. As far as taking the scale seriously, I know I do. I've seen many outstanding builds on many sites of this scale. And actually, I give a little more credit to those than can produce great models in this scale because it's so difficult for me to work with.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

i mainly deal in 1/72 but i much prefer Revell to Dragon, Revell's PANZER IVs, PANZER IIIs and Comet tanks are my favourite all time kits as for Dragon the seem to be turning away or downsizing its committment to the 1/72 scene, then their is Academy who are starting to bring out some interesting subjects along with the future release of the Oshkosh (Hemtt)

Revell has some very nice kits, the problem is price and availability here in the States. Revell kits are about 50% more than a Dragon kit of the same or similar subject. Additionally, most of the LHS I frequent carry a very comprehensive selection of Dragon kits. Those same stores carry just a handful of the Revell 1/72 scale kits. Literally maybe 5-10 kits with some of those being duplicates.

I do grab the occasional Academy 1/72 scale kit when I see one. I have added the Dragon Wagon to my stash, but have not had the motivation to build it.
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hi
I'm a 1/35th scale builder. But for a change & a bit more of a challenge do to it's size I've just finnished building my 1st 1/72 scale kit since I was a kid.
I've enjoyed the build & the final finished kit is good.
But doing it has reminded me why I build 1/35th .
Such small pieces with big fingers trying to hold them whilst cleaning them up was no fun.
kept on dropping pieces & then trying to find even smaller pieces than normal on the floor.
I'll probably make another some time but for now it's back to 1/35th for me.
You Guy's that build only braille I've got respect for.
I belong to MAFVA & at are local branch there are a couple of guy's that even scratchbuild there own 1/72 scale stuff ( crazy or what).
FuNsTeR
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 243 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Revell has some very nice kits, the problem is price and availability here in the States. Revell kits are about 50% more than a Dragon kit of the same or similar subject. Additionally, most of the LHS I frequent carry a very comprehensive selection of Dragon kits. Those same stores carry just a handful of the Revell 1/72 scale kits. Literally maybe 5-10 kits with some of those being duplicates.

I do grab the occasional Academy 1/72 scale kit when I see one. I have added the Dragon Wagon to my stash, but have not had the motivation to build it.

i should have added Revells Famos as well i have built 6 of them trully outstanding kits i just love building them. dragon's 1/72 kits are now retailing at the USA equivelent of $22/23 US and Revell/Trumpeter/Italeri are about $14/15 and academy are $16 but they are worth it ... Dragon Wagon is a superb kit it has it's faults (just like every other kit) once you start it you won't regret it mate
MacsTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:36 AM UTC
I only build in 1/72. Space is or at least was part of the reason. Expense was another. The final factor was detail. I like 1/72 because it has enough room to detail without me bogging down spending 300 hours detailing every nut on a tank. Okay, a bit of an exaggeration. I spent quite a few in very cramped quarters and had a very limited budget.

If you find the current imbalance of offerings in 1/72 disappointing, try building armor in 1/72 scale back in 1987. Esci had a slew of offerings, but that was about it. Sure there were some others, but basically many weren't actually 1/72 scale (1/76 or something odd). The new kits are much nicer. Sure the variety is limited, but there are more choices every day.

I also like it for display with my 1/72 aircraft and managable dioramas
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 02:47 PM UTC
Yes, I take 1/72nd seriously, Back in the 80's I think I built almost all of the Hasagawa and ESCI armor kits. . Now I like the 1/35 th scale stuff, why ??? My eyesight and mannual dexterity just is not what is used to be.. 1/35th is enough of a challenge.. milvehfan
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 03:15 PM UTC
How about HO scale? I build a lot of ROCO Miniatures 1/87th stuff. Not too many pieces/parts involved, but they are really small and rather well detailed.
blindspot
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 04:19 PM UTC
I used to love the 1/76 scale Fujimi kits. I always thought they looked right for the scale. Many of the other makers had out-of-scale details that made them look very toy like to me. Unfortunately, due to some health issues I can't work at that scale any more, so I stay with the larger stuff now. If I'm up for a real challenge I'll try a few links of individual link track or some fiddly photo-etch bits
panther1121
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 07:09 PM UTC
i used to build in 1/35th scale but the cost and space issues made me rethink,so i opted to model in 1/72 scale because you can put 3 models in the space of 1 1/72 scale model.
Deepgroove
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 02:04 PM UTC
I normally post to the figure forums, but saw this thread and wanted to share my experiences. I used to build 1/72 armor, and for some of the same reasons (cost, size). I had fun choosing relatively simple kits like Hasegawa or Airfix, and trying to add as much detail to them as I could. The efforts were enjoyable and managed to earn me some awards along the way.
Also, once I went totally insane and built a group of Dragon's 1/144 tanks. Simple, straightforward builds, but room for some added details. Entered as a collection it earned me Best Miscellaneous in the Region 6 contest a few years ago.
So basically I'm saying there are modelers who take the small scales very seriously, and can get some impressive results. I recall a Nationals Best of Show one year being a 1/72 modern US tank.
It had been opened up and the entire interior scratch-built.
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 900 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 03:38 PM UTC
1/72 scale is what got me hooked to modeling in the first place! All happened when I really wanted to have a model of former USSR's HIND---love the animal-listic design and found the perfect kit in Tamiya's MIL MI-24 HIND...at that time I thought I'd just get a couple helis to occupy me at home -- since I was more serious in spending all my time partying outside!
Couple years later I'm a hopeless junkie with an obsession to anything "modern or post WWII" as long as it's in 1/72 I need to have it.
In my collection I have hundreds of fighters, bombers, helis, armor, figures, SAR vessels and aircraft from various manufacturers,as well as Resin Sci-fi kits from Aliens,B5, BSG, Star Trek, Star Wars,etc. In time I intend to get those expensive aircraft kits Amodel..they even have the massive Myasishchev VM-T with Buran(Soviet Space Shuttle) I already have Airfix's Concord and now I need at least a 747, a C-5 Galaxy, A380..

Bottom line is that as long as it's 1/72 scale--Modern or Sci-fi .. I MUST HAVE IT!!!

Although my Biz is dedicated to 1/35 scale...it is mostly because I won't be able to let go of anything I build in braille scale!..

So my friend you are certainly not alone
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have built kits in both 1/35 and 1/72 scale but always seem to gravitate to braille scale. Sometimes I feel a little left out because of the overwealming popularity of 1/35. I've built a few 1/35 vehicles probably out of peer pressure more than anything else but the 1/72 kits have the lowest life expectancy in my stash. Are there other modelers out there that prefer 1/72 over 1/35 or at least take 1/72 seriously?

Hey Chuck!
In my life style of being a snowbird I had to go from 1/35th to 1/72nd scale. But if you talk to anyone who has seen my work in 1/72nd scale, it really does not matter weather you are in 1/35th or 1/72nd scale. I have been in the 1/72nd field for about 6 years and feel as much at home as I did modeling in 1/35th scale. It is all about how you look at it.
DavidOBarr
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 06:00 AM UTC
1/72 Rules! I only build in 1/72 (occasionally 1/76) and I love it. When I was younger I built the 1/35 Tamiya kits. Now I prefer 1/72 because to me it is more of a challenge, takes less room and Ican buy many more kits and aftermarket for less $. There are a few websites you should check out

http://www.small-scale-armour.co.uk/
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/
http://smallscaleafv.com/

There is an ever growing Braille Brotherhood. Have fun.

spaarndammer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 09:17 AM UTC
At the Benelux-part of Armorama we had a small-scale campaign. Lots op people joined the campaign and beautiful models were build. I like 1/72 especially for building large subjects like tanks. Did a build of a 1/72 Dragon T34 with bedspring armour. Just BIG fun to build the tank. Definitely not the last build in 1/72! But the choice of the subject will finally decide which scale the kit will be.

Jelger
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:40 AM UTC
One thing I have noticed since switching from aircraft to 1:72 armour is that most forums are much more heavily geared towards 1:35 scale armour. Of the forums that do have braille scale areas, they do not have a lot of activity.

A pity, but true unfortunately. I enjoy this site greatly but some times there is very little activity whereas others such as Missing Lynx's braille scale group (a great site btw) is still stuck in the old message board format of the 90's.

We as small scale armour builders need to be more proactive I reckon and that includes posting comments to members finished build posts. Too many great builds are looked at with no comments.

Cheers

Mike
KWSTAS
Visit this Community
Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 09:11 AM UTC
When I look back in time ( I started modelling around 1988 and forth ) , I remember myself always try to build and detail these awesome kits of Esci ( compared with the other companies of that era ) in 1/72 scale using as reference the builds of the fellow modelers in 1/35 scale.Not much room to store bigger kits , not much money to buy them but mainly I liked the details in small scale that - for my eyes - looked crispier than in bigger scales.A great dissapointment though , not enough figures and accessories to create a fine and realistic DIORAMA.After that I jumped in Sci-Fi modelling , in small scale also , so I wouldn't loose this crispier look of details on my - mainly scratchbuild - models.After a VERY LONG pause of my modelling activities that lasted about 15 years , I found again much pleasure in building - what else? - 1/72 scale.Many great kits now , many accessories , but most of all , many great sites like this , that help you build models and dioramas , unthinkable some years before.We should post some great builds to encourage people to build in that scale also.Thank you and sorry for the big post
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We as small scale armour builders need to be more proactive I reckon and that includes posting comments to members finished build posts. Too many great builds are looked at with no comments.

Cheers

Mike

Good comments Mike. I agree, a lot of views and few comments here at times. I'm guilty of the same though so I've made a promise to myself to be a bit more pro-active. Also agree about M/L, the board set-up definately needs an overhaul. Plus I got a bit miffed at one stage there with the volume of anti-Dragon posts. Now I do understand why but with the board set up it was overtaking the modelling and hobby aspect.

Anyway, this is a good thread to generate some interest in Braille - which is always good!

cheers
Brent
 _GOTOTOP