_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Your favorite Armor!!!
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 01:23 AM UTC
After 2 months of being on Armorama.com, I have read many posts (although I do not always respond). One thing that I have noticed is that many people here enjoy the hobby amd more then grateful to offer thier advice. There is no bikkering, no put downs, just plain old good advice to help those who need it. I appreciate that, and I am grateful. This post is for people to see what is your three most favorite AFV kits you have built (pictures are good). I love German Armor and my three favorite kits that I have built are:
1) Tamiya's Famo
2) DML's Hetzer modified for early version
3) Tamiya's Late Version Tiger 1
:-) :-) :-) :-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 01:32 AM UTC
Ummm. Well, I can't say I've built three armor yet. But I've built military models. Here they are in order of building enjoyment I experinced:
3) Tamiya's 1/35 m60A3
2) Tamiya's 1/72 P51-D Mustang
1) Tamiya's 1/72 F4U Corsair
That's it for now. Hey, I'm young. I'll have another dozen (at least) models completed by the time I'm 20!... I hope :-)

YodaMan
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 01:38 AM UTC
Amigo--I am a Sherman fanatic. My favorite within that category include the M4A3E8, Jumbo Sherman, and the M4A1 with 76mm main gun. I would be remiss if I did not mention the allure of the M-36, M-10, and M-18 Tank Destroyers. Let's see what other folks come up with...
DJ :-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 01:41 AM UTC
Umm, difficult to select, this is...

Keeping with model kits that you buy - and not extensively converted into something else like a gun truck - here's the ones that I could do over and over again because I enjoyed them the most:

Italeri's 1:35 scale M24 Chaffee
Tamiya's 1:35 scale M8 & M20 Armored Cars
Tamiya's 1:35 scale Willys MB Jeep

No pictures attached - they're in GunTruck's Gallery up here already...

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 01:49 AM UTC
Gunnie--good calls. Those two armored cars are really nice to build. I know some one came out with a very expensive Stag Hound years ago. Never got it. The little woman has a limited sense of humor when it comes to dispersing funds for my models. If she found out how much I spent getting the Dragon Wagon, I'd be washing dishes for the rest of my life.
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie--good calls. Those two armored cars are really nice to build. I know some one came out with a very expensive Stag Hound years ago. Never got it. The little woman has a limited sense of humor when it comes to dispersing funds for my models. If she found out how much I spent getting the Dragon Wagon, I'd be washing dishes for the rest of my life.
DJ

Heh heh - I think I've acheived the $40 dollar threshold in the Den of Domestic Bliss. That is I can slip a Tamiya Armored Car through the door without her batting an eye - or even the AFV Club "Nancy" gun truck. Uncannily, she knows what's more expensive, and like acquisition radar - she's on it...

Gunnie
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 01:58 AM UTC
Having completed 2 tanks and working on 2 more, my choices are limited, but here goes:
Tamiya's M-4A3 Frontline Breakthrough (finished, pics in gallery), AFV Club's M-10 and M-18 (in the middle of both). My interests lie in Allied armor especially tank destroyers. Academy's M-36 will be on my list when it comes out later this year. :-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 02:03 AM UTC
BC---I nailed an M-36 (Tamiya) from HobbyLand Japan. Dirt cheap with the yen to dollar ratio now. You might want to check them out if you do not want to wait on the Academy release.
DJ
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BC---I nailed an M-36 (Tamiya) from HobbyLand Japan. Dirt cheap with the yen to dollar ratio now. You might want to check them out if you do not want to wait on the Academy release.
DJ

Thanks DJ, might have to grab one of those. :-)
And then get the Academy release later
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 02:42 AM UTC
Oh That's Easy.
(1) Tamiya 1/35 M1A1 Abrams
(2) Tamiya 1/35 Challenger, Though my last was an academy kit that came out with mixed but mostly good results.
(3) 1/32 0r 48 scale British Spitfire. OKAY, OKAY, So I had to include an airplane.
But mostly any modern Armor in 35 scale Tamiya

DAGGER: A weapon with a short pointed Blade : "THE CUTTING EDGE"
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 02:50 AM UTC
Dagger--here is where I have the greatest challenge. I have on the shelf the M60A1,2, and 3. Along with the M1 and M1A1. The question I ask myself is "do I want to start on those or finish the WW II vehicles." A true challenge. Keeps me awake at night.
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 02:59 AM UTC
DJ - it is said that "variety is the spice of life" - so switch off to Modern for your next model!

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:01 AM UTC
Gunnie--that would be like turning my back on my job.
DJ
Wait, I am now reconsidering..... :-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Heh heh - I think I've acheived the $40 dollar threshold in the Den of Domestic Bliss. That is I can slip a Tamiya Armored Car through the door without her batting an eye - or even the AFV Club "Nancy" gun truck. Uncannily, she knows what's more expensive, and like acquisition radar - she's on it...

Gunnie

Hmmm. Everyday I get a glimpse of what this hobby is like when one is married. All the challenges that await... This one friend of mine who served in the Army put it this way,' While I can't say I'd recommend joining the Army, if you want to get bossed around for the rest of your life, get married!' He looked over his shoulder to see where his wife was and added, 'At least that way you'll enjoy it!'

YodaMan
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:23 AM UTC
My favorite armor is mostly Vietnam to Modern, I guess my 3 choices would be:

1. AFV Club M35A1 Quad 50 guntruck "Nancy"
2. Academy M-60A1 w/rise dozer blade
3. Academy M113 Vietnam tank w/106 recoiless rifle
If I put conversions in there they would be

1. Kirin M35A2 guntuck
2. Model Valely/Legend M35A1 guntruck
3. Hobby Fan conversion( I want to get this one really bad, i think is the F.S.V. conversion with the 50cal's on it?)

Mike
Armor135
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:30 AM UTC
Actually YodaMan - marriage is the greatest! At least that's been my experience.

My wife and I have been together going on nine years now, and it only keeps getting better. She's my best bud too - so there's a lot more than the "husband & wife thing" between us. I know her like a book (cough, cough, gurggle, gurggle) and I'm sure she'd say the same thing. Thoughts pass between us without words being spoken - so I know what she's thinking when she catches a new model or something coming through the door. I don't even try to hide it - and that's the fun of it.

One thing we practice successfully is not telling each other "NO". Acting as adults (insert more coughing here) we know what we can and cannot spend on bills and entertainment. I bellyache and tease her when she wants the latest crafty-stickery-stampy-thingy - and she boxes my ears about my latest model selection - she will choose something else for me sometimes - but it's all in fun. She gets what she wants, and so do I, even if it takes a little while.

After all these years together, I do have virtually all that I wanted, so the urge isn't there to raid the hobby shop every week like I did when I was single. Marriage and the partnership got me to that stage, and I don't toss out anywhere near the money I did when single. Marriage teaches temperance, I suppose, along with patience.

With the right YodaLady - you'll be juuuuust fine...

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My favorite armor is mostly Vietnam to Modern, I guess my 3 choices would be:

1. AFV Club M35A1 Quad 50 guntruck "Nancy"
2. Academy M-60A1 w/rise dozer blade
3. Academy M113 Vietnam tank w/106 recoiless rifle
If I put conversions in there they would be

1. Kirin M35A2 guntuck
2. Model Valely/Legend M35A1 guntruck
3. Hobby Fan conversion( I want to get this one really bad, i think is the F.S.V. conversion with the 50cal's on it?)

Mike
Armor135

Mike - I have both of the Hobby Fan gun truck releases now. They are really overpriced for what you get - you may be a little disappointed.

First off - the decal sheet is the same in both HF-027 and HF-028 - which surprised me! Mabye I got a packaging mistake, but I wonder. They do cover three trucks, and you can model them all - with three AFV Club Deuces and some extra scratchbuilding work to cover them all - as you can only model one of them with the parts included in the conversion set(s). For the cost of each, I feel you could have gotten at least the appropriate armor plating configuration for all three decal options, that's how few pieces there actually are in the kit.

Gunnie
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:44 AM UTC
My choices:

Tamiya Jeep
Tamiya King Tiger (Production turret)
Italeri M-47 (IMHO, the finest 1/35 injection kit produced) :-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Italeri M-47 (IMHO, the finest 1/35 injection kit produced) :-)

I could go with you there Bob - that is a dandy of a kit!

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My wife and I have been together going on nine years now, and it only keeps getting better. She's my best bud too - so there's a lot more than the "husband & wife thing" between us. I know her like a book (cough, cough, gurggle, gurggle) and I'm sure she'd say the same thing. Thoughts pass between us without words being spoken - so I know what she's thinking when she catches a new model or something coming through the door. I don't even try to hide it - and that's the fun of it.

Yeah, I know that marrige can be one of the best things to happen to someone. I look at my parents for example, next year they will have been married 30 years. I look forward to meeting whoever my wife will be someday. I know she's out there somewhere....

Quoted Text

With the right YodaLady - you'll be juuuuust fine...

If anyone joins the site with that username, I think that would be quite interesting..... :-) :-) :-)
How this thread went from favorite armor to marriges, I have no idea! (but then again, I'm the one who started it....)

YodaMan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:53 AM UTC
That's one other thing I like about this Forum - you can never tell where a thread will go...

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 04:20 AM UTC
For me, my favorite types of armor are the Tank Destroyers. I've only built 2 since I got back into this wonderful hobby.
Academy's M18
AFV's M10
I will have to throw in one more...
AFV's M59 Longtom, I just love big guns! :-) This is a wonderful build!

I too am awaiting the M36 release and will certainly jump on it! :-)
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 04:30 AM UTC
Oki, my three favourite AFV kits.

1. HKCW Strv122 conversion (Based on Tamiya Leo2A5 excelent kit)
2. AFV CLUB M88A1 (Not finished yet but it looks cool)
3. Accurate Armour Strv103C (Needs lots of work but it's a Swedish AFV) :-)
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hey, I got promoted :-)
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 05:10 AM UTC
Well, since I only have three pieces or armor under my belt, I guess I can only go from those:

1. M48A3
2. Unknown
3. Unknown

I do have to admit that I covet the M24 Chaffee (especially the one that Gunnie built) because it just looks so slick. I'm glad that he built it because it looks much better than if I ever did it :-) !
 _GOTOTOP