_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
When a cannon is not being fired
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 02:29 PM UTC
One thing I've wondered about when a cannon is set up in the field but is not in immediate use: Is the breech supposed to be left open or closed? I was thinking that if it were open for any length of time, water and other contaminants might get in, but if it were closed, the mechanism might jam if the cannon suddenly had to be put into action.
13M201182
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 02:51 PM UTC
I'm speaking from my own expeirence on the M110A2. When we were in a firing position and weren't activley in a fire mission, we left the breach open. That usually done to verify we had a "safe gun", the gun chief or chief of Firing battery could just look down the bore and see it was clear. We also did maintenance on the guns EVERY day. Hull, engine, tube, breach, and the spade. If you had a breach that was frozen or jammed , then the crew was not doing it's job and that gun was Non-Mission Capable. Plus we had breach and muzzle brake covers to protect somewhat from debris and water. Yes there are things that can happen, but those situations are minimized by before action PMCS (Preventive Maintenance Checks & Services). I'm sure other crews had different SOP's but generally I saw the breaches left open the M110's.

STEEL ON TARGET!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 06:04 PM UTC
Yup, I concur with the above. Breaches are usually left open when the gun is idle in the field.
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 07:12 PM UTC
When I was in the artillery, we left it open.
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:23 AM UTC
Yep, open.

The weapon would also be set to the deflection and quadrent of the gun's assigned IS (Immeadiate Surpression) mission. A round for that would be prepared and nearby.

Rounds Complete!!
Thrashergklm
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 166 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 07:39 AM UTC
I To agree with everything that has been said, we leave them open as well, in the field, in the morto pool, we close them as well.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing I've wondered about when a cannon is set up in the field but is not in immediate use: Is the breech supposed to be left open or closed? I was thinking that if it were open for any length of time, water and other contaminants might get in, but if it were closed, the mechanism might jam if the cannon suddenly had to be put into action.

I'm going to ever so slightly differ from the others, but still be right in line with them

The breech is normally just cracked open, but not all the way (there is a reason). Firing lock is left in the breech door, but without a primer. But if it's gonna rain the breech is closed tight, and normally a plastic bag is put over the muzzle end (held in place with a rubber band. We almost always kept the barrel in a near level position or even a negative angle just to make sure there was never any water inside it. The parascope (showing off my age now) was always kept covered with a plastic bag even in dry conditions. Primers are kept in a 30 cal ammo box that's kept closed tight just to the right of the breech.
Normally the AG cleans the breech, but we always did it with two guys (rotated daily) so that each and every man knew how and what to do (including the section chief and officers). The samething would also be said of the gunner's job; including the process of registering the piece. Once the scope was set it was never ever touched again accept in a fire mission.
I might add that you can eat off of the inside of the breech on most any howitzer.
gary
smokeyjoe
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 05:29 PM UTC
I pulled the lanyard on one of Randy's M110s at Camp Grayling in the late 80s and can attest he is right on. Everything is mission driven and no matter what the mission is if you ain't firing your cleaning. I only have a week experience with self-propelled artillery but 18 with M114s and M198s. With towed If the mission requires only one gun, the rest of the howitzers could be still hooked up to their prime movers all in convoy mode for rapid displacement.. If the entire battery is laid and are not firing as Randy says, the breeches are open because XOs are usually nervous and like to see a gun's status just by looking at it.. If other duties require you to supply men to battalion you may have a couple guns emplaced with the muzzle covers on, the breech closed and the pantel in its case on the prime mover. Battalion always seems to have some chore requiring gun bunnies.
The pantel is always covered when not in use as Gary (parascope) said.
Its been 20 years since I worked with the guns and this is how I remember. It all is mission oriented and what the battery"s SOP says.
One of my fondest memories of the 182d FA is having some sort of a meeting while we were standing next to a M88 tank retriever. It had rained a lot and the idling M88 caused the earth to vibrate. I looked down and saw the damp earth turn to mud and slowly watched as the mud began to cover my boots. It is amazing how little room there is in such a big vehicle.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I pulled the lanyard on one of Randy's M110s at Camp Grayling in the late 80s and can attest he is right on. Everything is mission driven and no matter what the mission is if you ain't firing your cleaning. I only have a week experience with self-propelled artillery but 18 with M114s and M198s. With towed If the mission requires only one gun, the rest of the howitzers could be still hooked up to their prime movers all in convoy mode for rapid displacement.. If the entire battery is laid and are not firing as Randy says, the breeches are open because XOs are usually nervous and like to see a gun's status just by looking at it.. If other duties require you to supply men to battalion you may have a couple guns emplaced with the muzzle covers on, the breech closed and the pantel in its case on the prime mover. Battalion always seems to have some chore requiring gun bunnies.
The pantel is always covered when not in use as Gary (parascope) said.
Its been 20 years since I worked with the guns and this is how I remember. It all is mission oriented and what the battery"s SOP says.
One of my fondest memories of the 182d FA is having some sort of a meeting while we were standing next to a M88 tank retriever. It had rained a lot and the idling M88 caused the earth to vibrate. I looked down and saw the damp earth turn to mud and slowly watched as the mud began to cover my boots. It is amazing how little room there is in such a big vehicle.

The reason we almost always just left the breech cracked open was to keep the dust and junk off the screw threads in the breech. It was cleaned everyday after use, and then left dry (no oil what so ever!). When a fire mission comes down, every piece of equipment must be ready to go instantly. All rounds are fused ahead of time with the exception being lots left for time fuses and contact lots (once again the fuse is the factor here). There is no time to clean the eyepiece when dust and water get on it. Powder is removed from all tubes, and then put back in with all the storage meda tossed & tie banding facing outwards. The lids for the tubes are just barely closed to seal them (but not tight). Even the water bucket is kept full at all times with the swab laying right next to it. Your dealing with precious seconds when you looking for half seconds. Important when there's only two seconds on the fuse and a charge one.
The first 155 I was on still holds the U.S. Army hip shoot record at 3minutes 49 seconds down at Bragg.
gary
 _GOTOTOP