_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe!
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 07:28 PM UTC
I came up with this pic, and it went straight to the top of my diorama subject list!
The picture speaks for itself:

Additional info about the subject:
http://www.galactic-server.net/rune/vril4.html

#:-) #:-) #:-)

(++)

Toni
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 07:36 PM UTC
Ola Toni

Tha`s a really cool picture dude. and a really nice dio subject I would definitaly see that.

I too had a cool link about the nazi UFO mystery but the link seems down now. I will look if it will come up in a couple of days.

Really cool

lonewolf
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 478 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 08:06 PM UTC
Whoa!

I've heard of the Third Reich experiments on "FRANKENSTEIN" and other superhuman stuff...(*WOLFENSTEIN) But aliens?...Hmmm....

I didn't know those guys harbored alien craft...Who knows? They may even have zappers and ray guns..~_^

But it sure is nice to see that in a dio..^_^

Good Luck!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 09:34 PM UTC
Oh good, this thread has been started again give it a few more posts and the conspiracy theorists will be out the woodwork again...Excellent! Jim
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 10:29 PM UTC
You need to reply to this guy's post. He's needing the help

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/11675&page=1

Maybe you two could team up :-)
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hehe.
I just had lunch next to my local hobby store...and I couldn´t control myself.
I bought Tamiya´s Horch 4x4 and Dragon´s figure pack "Commander´s conference".

I thought it would be a nice twist to have the UFO crash landed, one of the landing gears broken...
The dio would also have electric fence and a huge sign "ACHTUNG! Eingang verboten!" or similar...

Haha.

Toni
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 12:14 AM UTC
That's a cool idea - it's got scratchbuild fever written all over it.
I like the idea of a crash - you could add some civilians sneaking a peek through a hedge row.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 02:01 AM UTC
I've just read the article on the nazi flying saucers.....Wow! there are some seriously weird people out there...... One little question, if the nazi scientists had done so much with this program, why were the u.s. and britain moving heaven and earth (no pun intended) to start an evaluation and development program using V2s (the tech. equivalent of a bottle rocket) when there was all these incredibly sexy schematics of flying discs just waiting to be picked up........ Oh they were all destroyed.... God that was convenient........ Jim
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 03:03 AM UTC
Strange... very strange. On a slightly related note, I read that LucasArts was going to update the game Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. I played this game all the time when it first came out. Can't wait for the new release. They are calling it Secret Weapons Over Normandy. Here's the link:

Secret Weapons Over Normandy

Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:18 AM UTC
Damn it, Mike!
Somehow I missed this game before! Lawrence "The Man" Holland is back on the job! What I can see from the pictures, that game will be a must for any Their Finest Hour or SWOTL veteran!

So, Mike, when I have to update my PC I´ll sent you the bill.

Toni

ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 12:29 PM UTC
Yeah, I know. Looks like it might come out just in time for Christmas.
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 10:25 PM UTC
Speaking of Lucas, this looks like a job for

Yep, that's right kiddies. It's everybody's favorite whip crackin’, mechanic fightin’, swordsman shootin’, heart grabbin’, grail drinkin’, Nazi hatin’, hat savin’, son of a Scotsman. Hey, you could have Indiana Jones looking around from the side of a truck while the Germans look over the UFO. Indiana Jones 4 suppose to come out sometime in the next century, God willing. Rumors have him doing something at Roswell New Mexico, Atlantis, etc. Why not have him looking for Nazi UFO's? It's not as if anyone's gonna gripe about Dr. Jones being in there. YOU GOT A CRASHED NAZI SPACECRAFT!!! Oh well, just an idea. Good luck, and watch out for snakes
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:05 AM UTC
That´s a good one Brad!

However, I thought of other kind of "spectator"...
Remember the great Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker film "Top Secret!" ?
Val Kilmer used a cow costume to break in the nazi castle...nobody noticed the leather boots, of course... #:-) #:-) #:-)

I actually have a cow back home waiting for the right diorama...

Toni
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 08:29 AM UTC
Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe surfaces again!

All right... Horch is built except for some detail parts. Packed canvas rooftop is made of kitchen plastic. (Surprise!)
I primed it with medium gray and gave it a black-sienna brushed wash that´s going to work as a pre-shading base.
Next this vehicle will have an airbrushed layer of German gray and I´ll try to build it up gradually and carefully...

The kit is made by Tamiya in 1975 and it shows. ALL parts were misaligned. Excesses can be removed but what can you do when you have detailed parts with a border or even a "step" around them?
So I built it fast and try to focus to the paintwork. This piece is going to play a supporting role in the diorama anyway.
Any comments and suggestions are welcome! Mainly I´m thinking about things I could add in the airfield to make it look top secret and busy.

By the way, what material would they have used for the surface of the field, if this is a wrap-it-up-in-your-pocket -type of airfield?

:-H

Toni
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
looks good so far Toni, now where were those fit problems???? Nice construction work there stug
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 05:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

now where were those fit problems????

Stug,
if you look closely at the top view you may see some gaps between the spare tire cover and chassis. The sides just won´t fit. I will probably fill the gaps from below. The cast problems are similar to many tank kits where the barrel halves are misaligned and impossible to sand down keeping the round shape. Think about the same problem with small parts like shock absorbers and coils... ARGH. That´s also the reason I think you should be able to open up the package before buying and examine the parts. In some shops that´s not possible.

Thanks,

Toni
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:55 PM UTC
Toni, I have to say I havn't had problem with looking at a kit before buying it since moving to Japan. For some reason they think its good customer service. I actually got to see inside My Ryobi Drill bevore I paid $100USD to to make sure I was getting everything. Alas I'm getting away from the topic. Again that is some realy good work I had trouble finding the seam, but its not noticeable with shadow where it is so you might be able to hide it whith creative painting!!!! stug
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 08:59 AM UTC
Finally updating!
It´s been just too much time since I got anything done. At last I found the right spot to dig out my Badger 150 and spray away.

Horch has now a few light layers of German Gray+Buff, I used more Buff with each new layer and tried to build some dusty wear from below. The dark shading is almost gone but it certainly gives some feeling of a used vehicle even though it´s not actually weathered yet.
This model of Horch was manufactured mainly between 1939-41 so it should look quite used as my dio dates somewhere in the very late war.
I will add some bare aluminium chips in the floor and other high wear areas, rust stains and pastel dusting. And maybe some pencil for the edges...

So this is my first attempt with pre-shading and I´m excited to see how it comes out...

Toni
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 06:14 PM UTC
I was impatient and went for the washing immediately. German Grey had some oil wash on it, made of Burnt Umber and Black.
I´m beginning to like it. I think the only painting it needs now is drybrushing with Buff and aluminium. And finally a slight mist of dust with airbrush.

Toni
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:25 AM UTC
Looking good so far. I can't wait to see the saucer.

What are you going to do with the instruments on the dashboard?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 01:03 AM UTC
Scott,
everywhere I go I try to dig up any pieces and parts of any machinery, I thought the saucer would be even funnier if it was made of something barely recognizable...like a cpu cooler unit or something. #:-)
I thought to paint the instruments black, then drybrush with silver. If I only find a way to make glass covers for those, it would look better. The age of the kit shows in details like these...
I guess they didn´t have walnut wood panels in these cars, unfortunately. I´m gonna use the windscreen folded down and covered as the one provided by the kit is very thick. Gives me trouble with detailing the very bare dashboard...any ideas on how to make the vehicle look more interesting? I will have a driver seated in there plus some equipment in the back.

Cheers,

Toni
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 01:11 AM UTC
Envar, as far as adding glass to the dash board, I'd experiment with transparencies from an office store, the one used in presentation on overhead screens. They are very thin and fairly stiff, they do have a bit of 'give' to them so they could bend a bit.

How about adding some type of mini radar dish in the back of the Horch as some experimental tracking device??? Or maybe a huge heavy non-standard antenna and strange black box in the back???
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 01:16 AM UTC
eXCELLENT!

hhhhHHHMMMMhhh-BLIP!hhhhHHHMMMMhhh-BLIP!hhhhHHHMMMMhhh-BLIP!hhhhHHHMMMMhhh-BLIP!

Toni
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:12 AM UTC
for the glass of the instruments : very easy !
add a drop of future, or of a glue for clear parts !
I use "testors clear parts cement" for that purpose (and for gluing clear parts too)...
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:41 PM UTC
Penpen, you´re right... There is one advantage in using clear sheet though: It´s possible to scribe speedometer grid and other details in the back side of it...

I started to scratch some paint chips with a toothpick; I haven´t added any gloss layers, so the airbrushed acrylic paint comes off nicely, revealing the light grey primer! Like drybrushing in reverse. This should work as this is how it happens in real life as well...

Before any more painting I think I should build the "tracking device" mounted in the back of the Horch...
Here´s a concept sketch of the "device":

Toni
 _GOTOTOP