Hosted by Darren Baker
Building the side of a building
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:43 PM UTC
Ok...I am wanting to make one side of a crumbling building. A door, some windows and lots of debries. I have a long piece of styrofoam. Can someone get me started in what I do first or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Also, what about a cobble street? Thanks guys!!!!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:46 PM UTC
Ola Sladog

This should do the trick Imad a building with styrofoam too and I made the cobblestone road also with the stuff just as the mannequin and all the debries

DISTRACTION step by step

Hope it is of some help

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:51 PM UTC
And you might try this

http://www.docdio.com/page/simple%20diorama.htm

Look under the section cobblestones Keith shows how he made his cobblestone road in an easy and clear way

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:55 PM UTC
Styrofoam is ok, but one or two pointers in using it. It really is the devil's own material to paint (and look convincing) so it always better to cover it with a thin layer of plaster of paris or a similarly neutral material. Featherboard is also useful for building structures. This is basically two thicknesses of card with foam in the middle, it is strong, light and easier to cut than styrofoam. It's main disadvantage is that it tends to warp easily and care should be taken when using plaster of paris or other cement although you could " key" it with shellac or something similar. Jim (++)
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:48 PM UTC
These are all excellent suggestions... but let me throw in my 2 cents as well....

For the cobblestone street, consider using field peas, and then covering them with a coating of plaster. It gives a wonderful effect that looks very realistic. The other thought is to pour plaster of parris into a thin sheet and then scribe it with a sharp edge. An example of this is in the Digital Dioramas "how to" section located in the FEATURES section.

For the crumbling wall, this is quite easy... cut your styrfoam into the desired shape of the wall. Next apply a thin layer of SPACKLE (from any Home Depot or other similar hardware store). Allow this to dry, and then paint as desired.

For the rubble, look at the Digital Dioramas section for the article on "makein your own bricks"... it is very simple to make hundreds of scale sized bricks. Add in some clay (non-clumping!) cat litter, and some small wood strips and you are all set!

Best of luck!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 10:37 AM UTC
You might find this interesting

making pavements
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States