Another TAmiya Leopard 2 A5 question
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
Hi!

Has anybody already found faults or simplifications (besides the tracks) on this kit?

TIA,

Violetrock
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:30 AM UTC
I am by no means an expert on the Leo2A5, having said that I have built a couple of the Tamiya kits and I don't think from the research I have done that there are any major faults with the kit. (if I'm wrong someone please correct me) There are some simplications due to the limitations of the molding process. The ones that I can come up with at the moment are: the handles on the rear deck and doors on the rear sides are just plastic blobs I replaced them with wire, the mud flaps could be thinner, you could replace these with very thin plastic-card, the tow cable retainers, I used photo etch for these. These are just things that I can think of off the top of my head but there were not many things that I did. Eduard makes a PE set for the model that is nice but I didn't use all of it because there were some things I thought Tamiya did better.For instance on the rear deck the fan screen detail is incredible. Whatever you decide to do it is a great kit super-detailed, or OOTB.

HTH
Mike
Elmo
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:36 PM UTC
I have both, the Tamiya kit and Eduard etch set and I am really looking forward to building it (some day).... (++)
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 02:00 PM UTC
I built it mostly oob. The only additions made were to add the "antenna" to the center of the rear next to the rear view camera and the chains for the caps on the smoke grenade launchers. This was an excelent build. I hope to do another as a Strv 122 in winter camo soon.

You can find photos on the http://nordlandamps.com site.

Dave S.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I built it mostly oob. The only additions made were to add the "antenna" to the center of the rear next to the rear view camera and the chains for the caps on the smoke grenade launchers. This was an excelent build. I hope to do another as a Strv 122 in winter camo soon.

You can find photos on the http://nordlandamps.com site.

Dave S.

I heard a rumor (perhaps?) that Trumpeter is going to release an Strv122. You're getting the HKCW conversion kit for the Tamiya Leo2A5? I was initially thinking of converting my 2A5 into a Strv122 thru scratchbuilding rather than getting the conversion kit because it was beyond me budget but decided to do it OOTB since it'd take a lot of work ahehe.

IIRC, there's a web page out there comparing Tamiya's Leo2A5 with another (Italeri? Academy?) Leo2A5, with Tamiya getting the better reviews.

It's a nice kit and the only things I would modify are the usual handles and stuff. Concord has a book on the Leo2A4/A5 which provides lots of photos - great reference.

I'm thinking of converting it to a 2A6 with the 55 calibre gun, rather the current 44 calibre.
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 02:02 AM UTC
I have this kit for since it was released. I thought several times on selling it, but I donīt have any German tank in my collection, so I will keep it. I also have the Concord book and started looking for faults and simplifications, but I also want to ask others, not to oversee a detail.

Thomas

PS: I will build it as a German tank.
Dixon66
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 02:08 AM UTC
GIBeregovoy,
I haven't decided yet how I will do it, HKCW or scratch. I feel right now my talents are not up to the scratch building, but
in the future?
I think that this kit was one of the easiest builds I ever did, it was also the first one of mine that was painted in a multicolored scheme that
was done to the specified pattern and not done freehand.

I guess there were a couple more modifications I made. I put the rearview mirrors in the stowed position and replaced the string for the
towcables with twisted wire. I don't know why I didn't change the grabhandles. I think originally I was going to do it strickly OOB. But....

Dave S.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 04:08 AM UTC
Dave,
Get the HKCW Strv 122 set, it is a really nice conversion. I have been working on it off and on since last November and it is almost ready for the paint. The resin pieces are done really well and there is very little you actually have to do to the Tamiya kit to get it ready for the conversion. I don't think scratchbuilding the hull differences would be too bad, but the turrett would really be tough.

Mike
Dixon66
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:19 AM UTC
Thanks Kelley,
I have heard good things about the set, and will look into it for the conversion.

Dave S.
 _GOTOTOP