_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M115 howtizer in Vietnam
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't wish to highjack this thread but I was wondering if the M8 A1 cargo tractor was used in Vietnam to tow the howitzers? I have the old Nito kit and was hoping to build/upgrade it as a Vietnam based vehicle?
Any info would be much appreciated.
Cheers
David

Maybe the French used it.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't wish to highjack this thread but I was wondering if the M8 A1 cargo tractor was used in Vietnam to tow the howitzers? I have the old Nito kit and was hoping to build/upgrade it as a Vietnam based vehicle?
Cheers
David

The M-54 series of 5 ton trucks was the prime mover for the M-114 howitzers. The 5 tons were also the ammo vehicles for the 155's, 175's and 8 inch.

The M-35 series 2.5 ton trucks was the prme mover for the M-101 105mm howitzers. They also served as the ammo vehilces for the 105's and the four-deuces. I think the Army used the deuce and a halfs to tow the M-102's as well....but they may have used their 5/4 ton jeep trucks. I don't remember for sure.

Both the M-54 and M-35 series vehicles in the artillery units had drop-sides to make ammo handling easier. No fork lifts in the battey positions...it was all done by hand.

I don't recall ever seeing a tracked vehicle pulling a towed howitzer in my time in Vietnam.

Semper Fi,
Dave
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers
David

I doubt it, as stated 155 used 5 tons and 105 used the duce. .......Maybe the French!!!

Rounds Complete!!
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers
David

I did see them supporting an M109 outfit down on LZ Dottie right after TET in 68 (leastwise I think that's what they were), and also up on Hill 54 north of Chu Lai supporting M110's out of the 3rd of the 18th. As said before towed guns usually used 5 ton trucks and 2 1/2 ton trucks. An interesting note here about the trucks is that all the ones I ever saw stateside had automatic transmissions in them, while all the ones I saw in RVN had strait sticks in them
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers
David

The M-54 series of 5 ton trucks was the prime mover for the M-114 howitzers. The 5 tons were also the ammo vehicles for the 155's, 175's and 8 inch.

The M-35 series 2.5 ton trucks was the prme mover for the M-101 105mm howitzers. They also served as the ammo vehilces for the 105's and the four-deuces. I think the Army used the deuce and a halfs to tow the M-102's as well....but they may have used their 5/4 ton jeep trucks. I don't remember for sure.

Both the M-54 and M-35 series vehicles in the artillery units had drop-sides to make ammo handling easier. No fork lifts in the battey positions...it was all done by hand.

I don't recall ever seeing a tracked vehicle pulling a towed howitzer in my time in Vietnam.

Semper Fi,
Dave

I never saw a 5 ton with drop sided beds. Would love had had such an animal on H&I days!!
We almost always left the wood racks on the side to sorta cradle the powder cannisters when they brought them in in a landing net. Projos always came in the pallets, and didn't take up as much room when in a net. Also the H&I gun usually just off loaded right out the back of 5 ton truck(s) to avoid having to resupply 300 rounds in the ammo bunker the next morning. I just did the math on how much 300 rounds of 155 HE weighs and now I got a back ache!! We were young once and could go on forever and a couple days longer more.
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I was at the Officers basic Course at Ft. Sill in 1968, some of the national Guard units were still equipped with the towed 8 inch howitzer (M-115). To my knowledge, none of the active duty units were using the towed pice by then. They had all converted to the M-110's for 8 inch.

Early in Vietnam, the Marines deployed the M-53 155 guns and M-55 8 inch howitzers. I believe a couple fo the gun batteries were still trading their 155mm guns for 175's in 1968. We Marines used to joke about it since the army had the M-53 155 guns as "Gate Guards" at Ft. Sill. By the time I got to Vietnam in 1969, all of the M-53's and M-55's had been replaced by M-107's and M-110's.

As far as the 155mm howitzers were concerned, the towed piece was the M-114A1. It was initially deployed with the 4th Battalions of the Marine artillery regiments (11th, 12th and 13th Marines). Prior to1969, the 4th Battalions transitioned to the M-109 SPH's. When that happened, the Marine artillery regiments held onto their M-114's and used them in provisional batteries or simply attached the pieces to other batteries when a bit more throw weight was desired.

If memory serves me correctly, any time the M-107's and M-110's had to make significant shifts in direction of fire, the vehicles had to be started and moved....which meant they had to be re-layed after they were pointed in the right direction. The M-109's simply had to traverse their turrets. The Army's M-102 105mm howitzer could also simply be traversed using its base plate and terra tire. The towed M-101 105mm howitzers could generally be turned without having to be relayed. The same was true for the M-114's, especially when using a field expedient "turning jack".

We generally used the 8 inch howitzers to take out bunker complexes. The 175's were used to support recon patrols and positions that were out of range of everything else. (Been there. Done that. Not much fun.) The point being that the guns were usually laid in the general direction of where they were expected to be needed so that the vehicles would not have to be moved before firing.

Semper fi,
Dave

most all towed guns shot out of parapits with the exception of what is known as a jump battery. Usually three or six pieces that would be air lifted to a hill top and maybe be layed in three or four directions. But if you were goona be there for a couple weeks; you could count on building a parapit to enable shooting in all directions.
Many folks think that parapits were only used way back in the rear, but actually they were used pretty much everywhere. I've even seen them setup for SPG's with the various aiming stakes plated all around. The track would do a dead steer ontop a wooden plate affair (watching the rubber just peel off the road wheels). Because of this most units had the pieces pointed in three or four directions. This took awhile to get the piece where you wanted it, and even then it was a comprimise. But a 155 towed gun would be sifted with one or two guys while the gunner told them when and where to drop the trails. After that the spades were then blocked as tight as could be to prevent displacement after the first shot.
I guess now they do the relaying with a GPS setup; making short work of the project if your on an SPG. It took us about two minutes at the most to ready to shoot after changing azimuths on an average day, but a little longer in the rain or on a foggey night.
gary
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 07:36 AM UTC
Gary--interesting commentary, what unit were you with in RVN?
thanks
DJ
trickymissfit
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 07:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, Gino and crew can chime in on me, but I served with the 1st Cavalry in Vietnam (69-70). We sure had 155s. The firebase had a battery of 105s and three 155s. I vividly recall that the battery commander of the 155 battery got killed in Cambodia while visiting his firing platoon on FSB Ranch. They were moved from firebase to firebase by CH-54 Sky Crane. I seem to recall the 105s were also moved by CH-47, but I could be mistaken. I know the Sky Crane always brought the 155s in....they blew everything down and dirt flew through the air...just about chow time. I am also pretty darn sure we used the same 155 set up when I was with the 101st up North. Up there we were certainly backed-up by 175s fire. That was a freight train noise....I might be able to dig up a photo tonight.
DJ

Try this link to see a 155 firing in Vietnam with the 1st Cav...
http://www.first-team.us/journals/div_arty/da_ndx01.html

we striped the howitzers of spades and shields to get them just below the max capacity of a CH-47 with a gun crew and a few rounds of ammo. I was the unlucky fool that got the job of being the "hookup man," and once they find out you can rig one and hook it up your stuck with that job till you go home.
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 08:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When I was at the Officers basic Course at Ft. Sill in 1968, some of the national Guard units were still equipped with the towed 8 inch howitzer (M-115). To my knowledge, none of the active duty units were using the towed pice by then. They had all converted to the M-110's for 8 inch.

Early in Vietnam, the Marines deployed the M-53 155 guns and M-55 8 inch howitzers. I believe a couple fo the gun batteries were still trading their 155mm guns for 175's in 1968. We Marines used to joke about it since the army had the M-53 155 guns as "Gate Guards" at Ft. Sill. By the time I got to Vietnam in 1969, all of the M-53's and M-55's had been replaced by M-107's and M-110's.

As far as the 155mm howitzers were concerned, the towed piece was the M-114A1. It was initially deployed with the 4th Battalions of the Marine artillery regiments (11th, 12th and 13th Marines). Prior to1969, the 4th Battalions transitioned to the M-109 SPH's. When that happened, the Marine artillery regiments held onto their M-114's and used them in provisional batteries or simply attached the pieces to other batteries when a bit more throw weight was desired.

If memory serves me correctly, any time the M-107's and M-110's had to make significant shifts in direction of fire, the vehicles had to be started and moved....which meant they had to be re-layed after they were pointed in the right direction. The M-109's simply had to traverse their turrets. The Army's M-102 105mm howitzer could also simply be traversed using its base plate and terra tire. The towed M-101 105mm howitzers could generally be turned without having to be relayed. The same was true for the M-114's, especially when using a field expedient "turning jack".

We generally used the 8 inch howitzers to take out bunker complexes. The 175's were used to support recon patrols and positions that were out of range of everything else. (Been there. Done that. Not much fun.) The point being that the guns were usually laid in the general direction of where they were expected to be needed so that the vehicles would not have to be moved before firing.

Semper fi,
Dave

When I went to SPG school in 1967 they split the class in half, and one half stayed with M109's and M108's. The rest of us went on M110's and M107's. Both carriages being similar we shot the 107's least of all, but still probably shot fifty rounds accoss the town of Lawton, OK (if they only knew!!). Even then we were told that we'd be joining up with Army units that were attached to Marine units up north. The next class after mine was to have a few Marines in it, and after that quite a few more Marines would be in every class till they got their own training program up to speed. Needless to say that when I left Ft. Sill in December that would be the last time I was ever on a SPG (probably a good thing being very fresh and very green). When I got to Chu Lai they took the orders I had (to goto some unit up near the DMZ) and just tossed them in the trash can! They were putting light infantry guys and just about anybody else in 155 units all over the place There were about a half dozen of us that actually had a 13 A MOS! I joined up with a gun crew out of FT Bragg, and they had been over there for about nine months. Brought their own equipment with them (M101's) and were identical to the towed 155's we shot at Sill, but in better shape. I went to LZ Gator, and hooked up with three howitzers. The other three were up on Hill 54. I saw a sky crane twice while I was in country, and both times it was carrying a telephone pole. I can only imagine how bad the sand blasting would be off one of those things as a CH47 was bad enough! Let alone the static electricity!!!
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 08:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks
DJ

Bravo 3rd of the 16th Arty. They came from FT Bragg (not me) in early 1967. Without repeating myself I was as far south as LZ Liz and as far north as the south rim of the Ashau Valley (we never went in there thank God) Only time I was east of Highway One was down on Dottie for about three weeks, and the furthest west we got was about three hundred yards east of the Lao border. A good geography lesson. The last base camp I was at was Thien Phouc shooting with an SF A Team keeping the folks awake every night on the Hiep Duc Ridge line. A pretty place for somebody else to vacation at.
gary
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

thanks
DJ

Bravo 3rd of the 16th Arty. They came from FT Bragg (not me) in early 1967. Without repeating myself I was as far south as LZ Liz and as far north as the south rim of the Ashau Valley (we never went in there thank God) Only time I was east of Highway One was down on Dottie for about three weeks, and the furthest west we got was about three hundred yards east of the Lao border. A good geography lesson. The last base camp I was at was Thien Phouc shooting with an SF A Team keeping the folks awake every night on the Hiep Duc Ridge line. A pretty place for somebody else to vacation at.
gary

Gary-- Proud to know you! You guys did well. I know you fired missions for us (1st Battalion 502 Infantry)
Thanks Buddy
DJ
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

thanks
DJ

Bravo 3rd of the 16th Arty. They came from FT Bragg (not me) in early 1967. gary

Funny what the Army does with flagging of units. I reported to Baumholder in Oct of 1972, to one of the DS battalions (M109) of the 8th ID (1st Bn, 2nd FA). And our Division GS battalion (M110) was none other than 3rd of the 16th.

Since there clearly was a GS unit already in Baumholder during 1967, obviously the Army decided to transfer the colors there for some reason some time after that.
trickymissfit
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

thanks
DJ

gary

Gary-- Proud to know you! You guys did well. I know you fired missions for us (1st Battalion 502 Infantry)
Thanks Buddy
DJ

I think it was a couple companys out of that Regiment got stuck with us down at Quang Ngai right after Tet in 68. The places as flat as a sheet of glass, and we'd get hit as rule twice a night and at least once in the daytime. ( had no sense of humor and drank the wrong kind of beer) Remember well shooting HE and WP with one and one half second time fuses and a charge one green bag. Had to look thru the barrel to see where to shoot! Think you guys might also have been with us when we were part of Dewey Canyon One. I must have done a dozen operations with elements of the 101st, and we got to know their officers very well. Were you guys part of the Mary Anne reactionary force? I know there was a full company from the 196th and a couple others as well (one was a Marine unit). Very, very, very ugly. Also weren't you guys part of the battalions brought in, in March 1969 out at Thien Phouc? The place was surrounded by three full strength NVA divisions (30K regulars), and they had to take it to cut the country in half. After three very long months they chased them all the way back into Laos minus a division and a half. Remember well shooting WP with two seconds on a 565 and a charge one at the main gate as we had visitors at high noon.
Those were the days when we thought we were bullet proof, and would spit in Godzilla's eye just to get a rise outta him.
gary
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:38 PM UTC
[quote][quote]
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Those were the days when we thought we were bullet proof, and would spit in Godzilla's eye just to get a rise outta him.
gary

We still are!
trickymissfit
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

thanks
DJ

Bravo 3rd of the 16th Arty. They came from FT Bragg (not me) in early 1967. gary

Funny what the Army does with flagging of units. I reported to Baumholder in Oct of 1972, to one of the DS battalions (M109) of the 8th ID (1st Bn, 2nd FA). And our Division GS battalion (M110) was none other than 3rd of the 16th.

Since there clearly was a GS unit already in Baumholder during 1967, obviously the Army decided to transfer the colors there for some reason some time after that.

I don't know exactly when my old unit went home (the only unit I was ever in actually), but do know that in 1971 we had elements up near the DMZ along with the 3rd of the 18th too.
The siege in 1969 was real ugly, and lasted from the 22nd of Febuary till early June. A note on your records stating you came out of that unit was the same thing as getting your ticket punched. Now the unit's back in Ft. Hood using missiles. Guys are having a lot of problems both physically and many have bad cases of DCS. I was lucky as I got outta there in one piece, but aged a lot in those months (23 years old and very old for the time).
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:45 PM UTC
[quote][quote]
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gary

We still are!

your chickens come to roost when you look at your best buddy and can't figure out where all the pieces of him have gone. Then it's time to catch the next train outta Dodge before the guy on your right has to do the samething.
Last August I went to a reunion (I avoid them like ex wives), and we drank a quart of hooch for Tom, and then went outside and prayed for him.
gary
gmat5037
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:39 PM UTC
No disrespect intended to Dave. Before I enlisted in the AF in 76, I worked at the old Pete's Models in Hawaii. I worked at the one at Kam Shopping Center. Some customers would come in from Schofield Barracks and one gave me a picture of an 8" towed gun firing at the range on the Big Island. That was about 1975. I remember seeing one at an Armed Forces Day display, perhaps at Hickam AFB at about the same time. The 25th Div didn't have 8" guns at that time but there was a unit under a higher level (Corps?) n Hawaii. Reading Stanton's book on the US Army Units in the Viet Nam War, I was able to track the unit in Hawaii. (1968) Don't know what it was in 75. At that time, there were no M-109/M-107/M-110s in Hawaii. The 8" howitzers were retained as they were capable of using special munitions.
I do remember seeing US Army and USMC M-114s being towed on the highway. The M-114s has a natural metal barrel.
Just providing extra info.
Best wishes,
Grant
trickymissfit
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm gonna say this one more time:
The way the carriage is designed on the M115 makes it useless in a 360 degree shooting situation. You cannot shift the guy more than the barrel can traverse without relaying the gun. Making the folks south of there into jello by the time your back up and running again. You have to think about it a few minutes. You shoot a zone sweep at 6200 (taking forever by the way), and five minutes after your done another F.O. calls in a contact fire mission (this is where the 8" towed gun is at it's very best) at 2700. So about an hour later your ready to shoot (well sorta). They just cannot live with that, and that's what doomed the M115 and the 155 long tom (plus neither one would shoot a zone sweep very well). This samething is what's gonna eventually kill the current 155 towed guns. Arty hasn't been placed five or six miles back since the Korean War. It's very close to the operating infantry and has to be able to shoot at least 180 degrees.
gary

You're right, the book said that the firebase guns had to be able to be spun 360 degrees easily, and that obviously can't be done with the M115 the way it's designed.

Ironically a towed howitzer that was used was designated M114 and had a very different carriage that could be spun, with the proper configuration.

The M114, if used in RVN was somewhat uncommon.. Yet it's virtually the same piece as the M1 (think that's the right number), except for the barrel. The M114 has a barrel that's about two inches longer with a groove machined on the O.D. at the muzzle end. Otherwise from what I can see they are the samething. The Army used M1's, and these were different than the ones used in Korea and WWII. The most obvious difference is in the jack. I think the 155's used in RVN also had the later style breech (internals were hard chromed to help with cleaning). In Vietnam, there was a jack stand affair that was placed under the carriage center to aid in shifting the carriage. Once you are at the needed azmuth you then jack the carriage up till the gun rests on the spades and jack plate for the three point plain.
Anybody here need pics of a Korean War 155 let me know, as I have one parked near me. It's different as I said (also tool layouts and some brackets are different).
gary
gizmo21
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 155 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 05:22 AM UTC
http://www.landscaper.net/theguns.htm

there are some pictures in this page..scroll down
mabye it helps.....
I have no idea about that kind of guns in vietnam but mabye it helps..

chris
trickymissfit
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 07:55 PM UTC
auaue
Quoted Text

http://www.landscaper.net/theguns.htm

there are some pictures in this page..scroll down
mabye it helps.....
I have no idea about that kind of guns in vietnam but mabye it helps..

chris

Did anyone take a close look at the 175 that had a massive barrel failure? I wonder if it was gun four that had just came back from overhaul? Or did they ignore the barrel life factor? I saw the breech blown off one once (brand new barrel)
The 155 pics were interesting. Those kids were the only folks I've ever seen using the tray to load rounds. To be exact the only time I ever say a loading tray was at Ft. Sill. Must have had big gun crews as most didn't have enough men to use a tray, and wanted to speed of loading without the tray.
Lastly was the pic of the Duster near the Ashau Valley. Those guys were braver than any man had a right to be. Barely room to walk thru there let alone drive a track thru there while setting in the open ontop!!!!! I'd like to know how they managed to get it down in there, let alone live thru it.
gary
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 05:57 AM UTC
[/quote]I'm gonna say this one more time:
The way the carriage is designed on the M115 makes it useless in a 360 degree shooting situation. You cannot shift the guy more than the barrel can traverse without relaying the gun. Making the folks south of there into jello by the time your back up and running again. You have to think about it a few minutes. You shoot a zone sweep at 6200 (taking forever by the way), and five minutes after your done another F.O. calls in a contact fire mission (this is where the 8" towed gun is at it's very best) at 2700. So about an hour later your ready to shoot (well sorta). They just cannot live with that, and that's what doomed the M115 and the 155 long tom (plus neither one would shoot a zone sweep very well). This samething is what's gonna eventually kill the current 155 towed guns. Arty hasn't been placed five or six miles back since the Korean War. It's very close to the operating infantry and has to be able to shoot at least 180 degrees.
gary[/quote]

Gary -

I was reading through this old thread and thought I might add a bit.

The Coast Artillery and Marine Defense Battalions in WWII did indeed resolve the issue of rapidly shifting trails for both the M-1918 155mm GPF gun and the M-1 155mm "Long Tom" gun. They created two solutions. The first was a permanent solution called the "Panama Mount" which used a raised center pivot point made of concrete and circular (or semi-circular) perimeter structures that were basically short concrete walls topped by embedded steel rails. The spades were replaced by some sort of a gear/rachet/ locking mechanism. This permitted the 155 guns to track and fire upon moving ships. Pictures of these structures in the old Coast Artillery forts are still available online. I know there are some surviving examples in Alaska.

The second solution was the "Kelly Mount" which, as far as I can tell, was used only for the M-1 155mm guns. That mount was a portable steel circular structure that functioned similarly to the Panama Mounts, but were movable and more readliy deployable. I don't know if any of these devices survived the demise of the Coast Artillery.

Every time I look at the drawings of the Kelly Mount, I wonder why the concept was not revived for the 6400 mill environment we had in Vietnam for the M-114 155mm Howitzers.

The Marines used both the M-53 (155mm Gun) and M-55 (8 inch Howitzer) in Vietnam in the early years. They were gradually replaced by the M-107 (175mm Gun) M-110 (8 inch Howitzer) in about 1968.

Anyway....that's my trivia contribution to the site for today.

Semper Fi,
Dave
Removed by original poster on 12/17/09 - 20:44:20 (GMT).
trickymissfit
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 09:24 AM UTC
we all shot outta parapits using the same basic ideas developed from the Panama mount. What we used were 16" x 16" solid oak logs in a circle. These would then be backed up by logs in a verticle stance (usually 12" x 12"). On the front of the 16" logs we placed the later style covered PSP plates (not the WWII perforated style). The pit was dug so the the center was higher than the area around the logs (actually about even with the top of them. Often we'd place a heavy wood platform (I've seen it range from 4'x4' to as much as 10'x10' square). This was done to make the firing position much more consistent when shifting azmuths. We coud shift the gun to a new azmuth and be ready to shoot in about three minutes that way. It wasn't so much that it was easier as it was to aid the guy down range who had his head covered up trying to say alive (three minutes was a couple of lifetimes). Everybody had a job, and nobody was a sacred cow when it came to getting the job done right. If the missons were long and had a lot of rounds we often switched places with the guy loading, and usually the next guy to switch was the section chief. Only one guy set time on fuses, and that was usually the guy loading. In a fire misson the AG was the key to getting the rounds out fast. He was the first guy in the misson, and the last guy done as well. If he was slow (or had a problem) everything went at a snail's pace. But as bad as it sounds it all became a fluid movment.
Bad and unexpected things do happen during a fire misson, and you have to know exactly how and what to do when it happens. Guns break, and parapits displace to the point they are unservicable. Just happens! The worst thing to happen is a bad round or you blow the parapit apart. Everybody gets excited when something breaks.
I've shot with gun crews that only had four guys, and have been on ten man crews before. A four man crew is a bad thing, and if your new you know that something really bad happened before you got there. When a four man crew has a long mission with a lot of rounds you may see cook and clerks over there humping those 98lb. rounds just like they always were there (I've seen Majors and LT's doing it) There is no rank when firing a howitzer and somebody's got their butt on the line 8,000 yards out.
gary
 _GOTOTOP