_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M115 howtizer in Vietnam
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 02:51 AM UTC
In the Osprey book "Vietnam Firebases", it mentions 8-inch guns being used, but only the M110 SP howitzer is specifically mentioned. Wasn't the M115 towed howitzer used as well? Just wondered, as the Wikipedia mentioned the SP version wasn't as stable as the towed version.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In the Osprey book "Vietnam Firebases", it mentions 8-inch guns being used, but only the M110 SP howitzer is specifically mentioned. Wasn't the M115 towed howitzer used as well? Just wondered, as the Wikipedia mentioned the SP version wasn't as stable as the towed version.

I doubt it even though several have said they did use them. I never saw anything but the 8" M110. In 1967 it was already done away with, and prior to 1967 the combat troops in RVN were a fraction to what there were in 1967-1971. I've also heard stories that they used 155 long toms over there, but once again have yet to ever see a picture or run accross anybody that was on a gun crew.

The 8" towed howitzer along with the 155 long tom were not suited for the style of shooting that was so common in RVN. You shot in all directions from parapits, and it would be a bear to shift an 8" or a long tom! You add this to the fact that they couldn't be transported by anything but a tractor made them virtually useless. The 8" sp along with the others were tracked and could go to alot of places (still not everywhere) as long as there was some kind of a trail.
gary
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I doubt it even though several have said they did use them. I never saw anything but the 8" M110. In 1967 it was already done away with, and prior to 1967 the combat troops in RVN were a fraction to what there were in 1967-1971. I've also heard stories that they used 155 long toms over there, but once again have yet to ever see a picture or run accross anybody that was on a gun crew.

The 8" towed howitzer along with the 155 long tom were not suited for the style of shooting that was so common in RVN. You shot in all directions from parapits, and it would be a bear to shift an 8" or a long tom! You add this to the fact that they couldn't be transported by anything but a tractor made them virtually useless. The 8" sp along with the others were tracked and could go to alot of places (still not everywhere) as long as there was some kind of a trail.
gary

Wikipedia goofed again then. Thanks!
trickymissfit
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 06:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gary

Wikipedia goofed again then. Thanks!

they're usually about as much right as they are wrong. Show us a photo of one! Just one! The Army phased out the M115 from front line usage shortly after the Korean war
gary
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

they're usually about as much right as they are wrong. Show us a photo of one! Just one! The Army phased out the M115 from front line usage shortly after the Korean war
gary

Okay, here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-115

Should have put the link up before.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 08:36 AM UTC
Key wording......... "The weapon uses NATO standard 203mm ammunition, and was used during World War II, in Korea, and in Viet Nam. "

The AMMO not the weapon saw action in all 3.....................

Just my .02c
trickymissfit
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Show us a photo of one! Just one! The Army phased out the M115 from front line usage shortly after the Korean war

Quoted Text

Okay, here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-115

Should have put the link up before.

There is no pic on there showing it used in Vietnam.

I'm gonna say this one more time:
The way the carriage is designed on the M115 makes it useless in a 360 degree shooting situation. You cannot shift the guy more than the barrel can traverse without relaying the gun. Making the folks south of there into jello by the time your back up and running again. You have to think about it a few minutes. You shoot a zone sweep at 6200 (taking forever by the way), and five minutes after your done another F.O. calls in a contact fire mission (this is where the 8" towed gun is at it's very best) at 2700. So about an hour later your ready to shoot (well sorta). They just cannot live with that, and that's what doomed the M115 and the 155 long tom (plus neither one would shoot a zone sweep very well). This samething is what's gonna eventually kill the current 155 towed guns. Arty hasn't been placed five or six miles back since the Korean War. It's very close to the operating infantry and has to be able to shoot at least 180 degrees.
gary
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 03:04 PM UTC
[quote][quote]
Quoted Text

This samething is what's gonna eventually kill the current 155 towed guns. Arty hasn't been placed five or six miles back since the Korean War. It's very close to the operating infantry and has to be able to shoot at least 180 degrees.
gary

The M198 does not suffer from the same design limitations. After jacking up the wheels, and settling the baseplate, it can be deflected a full 360 degrees with only four crew members. The trails are surprisingly light, and the gun as a whole is very well balanced
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 03:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Key wording......... "The weapon uses NATO standard 203mm ammunition, and was used during World War II, in Korea, and in Viet Nam. "

The AMMO not the weapon saw action in all 3.....................

Just my .02c

No, the sentence says "The weapon" was used in the three conflicts. So I stand by my assertion that Wikipedia screwed up.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 03:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm gonna say this one more time:
The way the carriage is designed on the M115 makes it useless in a 360 degree shooting situation. You cannot shift the guy more than the barrel can traverse without relaying the gun. Making the folks south of there into jello by the time your back up and running again. You have to think about it a few minutes. You shoot a zone sweep at 6200 (taking forever by the way), and five minutes after your done another F.O. calls in a contact fire mission (this is where the 8" towed gun is at it's very best) at 2700. So about an hour later your ready to shoot (well sorta). They just cannot live with that, and that's what doomed the M115 and the 155 long tom (plus neither one would shoot a zone sweep very well). This samething is what's gonna eventually kill the current 155 towed guns. Arty hasn't been placed five or six miles back since the Korean War. It's very close to the operating infantry and has to be able to shoot at least 180 degrees.
gary

You're right, the book said that the firebase guns had to be able to be spun 360 degrees easily, and that obviously can't be done with the M115 the way it's designed.

Ironically a towed howitzer that was used was designated M114 and had a very different carriage that could be spun, with the proper configuration.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 05:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ironically a towed howitzer that was used was designated M114 and had a very different carriage

Yes, the M114 is/was a 155mm towed howitzer. It is very different that the M115 though. Just because the numbers in the nomenclature are close, doesn't mean the guns are.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:59 PM UTC
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m115.htm

I still thing they mean the Gun was used in vietnam on the M110 not the whole M115 carrage / gun assembly.
trickymissfit
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 05:33 AM UTC
[quote][quote]
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This samething is what's gonna eventually kill the current 155 towed guns. Arty hasn't been placed five or six miles back since the Korean War. It's very close to the operating infantry and has to be able to shoot at least 180 degrees.
gary

The M198 does not suffer from the same design limitations. After jacking up the wheels, and settling the baseplate, it can be deflected a full 360 degrees with only four crew members. The trails are surprisingly light, and the gun as a whole is very well balanced

actually your very right, and I really should have made a better post. It's not the gun itself, but the design of the gun that renders it ineffective when trying todo zone sweeps; which the infantry relys on so much. Now it's hard (if not nearly impossible) to cover a zone sweep effectively due to design limitations. Crews have to be larger creating a second problem in combat. The actually firing operation is slow (real slow) when using the M198. The gun seems tobe very accurate even though the carriage is really taxed using max loads. But with GPS displacement is easilly handled; even when using "super charge eights". I never saw the M114 ever shoot a charge eight, so I really won't say if it's better or worse. But I suspect the recoil system and breech were really taxed to the limits with this charge (rapid fire charge sevens could be hard on the same systems due to excessive heat build ups). I think in the last two engagements we've been very lucky with the 198 and it's later replacement (a real piece of junk), and to bare this out I see so many sweeps and close in support now being done with aircraft. If a cannon cannot support close in infantry it almost becomes usless, and the days of being back in the rear someplace are long gone.
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 05:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ironically a towed howitzer that was used was designated M114 and had a very different carriage

Yes, the M114 is/was a 155mm towed howitzer. It is very different that the M115 though. Just because the numbers in the nomenclature are close, doesn't mean the guns are.

Gino,
actually I never saw an M114 in RVN (but I'm not saying there were not any there). Very similar to the gun it replaced, but the barrel is slightly different. Think ours were M101's or some number like that
Suppossedly the M115 was the most accurate artillary piece ever used by the Army, and second only to the 16" guns used on an Iowa class battleship (these rifles are different than the others on previous battleships). I know I'd have hated tobe a loader on one of those beasts. Even with a two man tray the breech sets so high that it's a bear.
If anybody here needs good photos of an M115 let me know as I have one parked about twenty minutes from my front door. There's also an early 155 howitzer nearby (not like the one in the kits) and an even earlier one like they used in the early part of WWII. The latter howitzer is a completely different animal, and have never seen a kit of this one.
gary
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 07:34 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Crews have to be larger creating a second problem in combat. The actually firing operation is slow (real slow) when using the M198. The gun seems tobe very accurate even though the carriage is really taxed using max loads. gary

I'm really not following you here. As a chief on an M198, my crew was never slow. There's not a whole lot to it-place round in breech, ram, add powder charge, close breech. Add primer, attach lanyard... While this is going on I'm verifying deflection and quadrant elevation, charge, and that the primer is inserted. The whole process, with a good crew, takes little more time than it does to read this. As for the gun seeming to be accurate, well, it is VERY accurate, stressed carriage or no. In fact the major stressed areas had little to do with firing, and more to do with transport, both of which have since been addressed on the gun with gussets on the gun crutch, and higher rated tires. And by the way, which replacement for the one niner eight is a piece of junk, and why?
trickymissfit
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:35 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Crews have to be larger creating a second problem in combat. The actually firing operation is slow (real slow) when using the M198. The gun seems tobe very accurate even though the carriage is really taxed using max loads. gary

I'm really not following you here. As a chief on an M198, my crew was never slow. There's not a whole lot to it-place round in breech, ram, add powder charge, close breech. Add primer, attach lanyard... While this is going on I'm verifying deflection and quadrant elevation, charge, and that the primer is inserted. The whole process, with a good crew, takes little more time than it does to read this. As for the gun seeming to be accurate, well, it is VERY accurate, stressed carriage or no. In fact the major stressed areas had little to do with firing, and more to do with transport, both of which have since been addressed on the gun with gussets on the gun crutch, and higher rated tires. And by the way, which replacement for the one niner eight is a piece of junk, and why?

I talking nine rounds on the way in about 55 seconds. Or yelling "bore clear" before the first round goes off at seven miles down range. That's called fire for effect with all rounds in the target grid (remember you have nine different targets in a grid). What's your "hip shoot" time?
Last time I was at Bragg the powers to be were raising cain (about the newest howitzer)about it being broke all the time. Perhaps they found away to make it work
gary
wolfhounds
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:20 PM UTC
I was in Vietnam in 1965 and 1966, the only artillery i saw was mainly self propelled (M108 105mm, M109 155mm, M110 8" & M107 175mm). The only towed versions were 105mm, i don't recall the nomenclature(it looked alot like the Italeri 105 kit, some units had the old "pigs"(M114 155mm towed). If the M115 was in country, it may have been when the first Marine units deployed in early 65. The Marines actually had M55 SP's in the beginning deployments. Hope this helps.

Ronny
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 03:16 PM UTC
I have been watching this engagement now for days. So...

If the M115 was used by the US it would have been very early in the war and very limited...also the M107 and M110 were already being deployed and replacing the old towed weapons by the early 60s. Since I have never been able to find any pictures or historical record, nor have any others....IMHO I doubt it.

On the other hand......

We must remember the French fought in VN in the mid 50s. It may be possible that the French deployed the M115 (or their equalivant) to VN during their tour. I have not checked that route but it is another avenue of approach.

Rounds Complete!!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 05:09 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I talking nine rounds on the way in about 55 seconds. Or yelling "bore clear" before the first round goes off at seven miles down range. That's called fire for effect with all rounds in the target grid (remember you have nine different targets in a grid). What's your "hip shoot" time?
Last time I was at Bragg the powers to be were raising cain (about the newest howitzer)about it being broke all the time. Perhaps they found away to make it work
gary

Now I'm really having a difficult time following you. You say the M198 is "real slow," and yet talk about nine rounds being fired in 55 seconds. Not only is that smoking, I will say that sustaining one round every six seconds is impossible. The process is as I describe it above, however for a multiple round mission you can't just yell "bore clear." It has to be swabbed. The subsequent rounds all have to be rammed. And now the chief has to recheck quadrant and deflection-no mean feat even if you are firing all nine rounds at ONE target. You're telling us nine DIFFERENT targets can be engaged in 55 seconds.
Even if I just slapped the qunner's quadrant on the gun and watched to see if the bubble came even close to being level, the best you could expect from an experienced crew is four, POSSIBLY five rounds per minute. Now THAT is smoking. Nine is in no way possible, especially if you're changing he deflection or quadrant after each shot.

By the way, I happen to be at Ft. Bragg as I type this. I can certainly check into the frailties of the "newest howitzer," (By the way, it's the M777. It would add credibility to your posts if, after having mentioned it twice, you might name it.) as it would interest me professionally. I see them going up and down Reilly every day. Getting to talk to the crew is only limited by time available.
Lastly, my hip shot time on a one niner eight? Dude, you're killing me.
trickymissfit
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was in Vietnam in 1965 and 1966, the only artillery i saw was mainly self propelled (M108 105mm, M109 155mm, M110 8" & M107 175mm). The only towed versions were 105mm, i don't recall the nomenclature(it looked alot like the Italeri 105 kit, some units had the old "pigs"(M114 155mm towed). If the M115 was in country, it may have been when the first Marine units deployed in early 65. The Marines actually had M55 SP's in the beginning deployments. Hope this helps.

Ronny

If the Marines were using M115 or long toms I'd probably have seen one at one time or another. I did see one Marine M55 down on Highyway One near Hill 54. There was a story going around that they actually brought over a handfull of the old 8" SPG's, but once again if they did they were gone by the Winter of 1967. M108's were there, but never saw one in use as they were mostly down south. In I-Corps the M109, M110, and M107 were in vogue, and were a common sight. M107's were often taken out of units and replaced with M110's from another unit. Mrines actually had a better use for the M107 than the Army did, but the Army had a lot of use for the M110's, and never seemed to have enough of them.
Yet with the above in mind one must always remember that the towed 105, and 155's were the real pigs that were in vogue just for mobility alone. Add this to the fact that they do zone sweeps so much better (due to the ability to rapidly fire) made then very busy people.
The closer you got to the Lao border ; it seemed that the more sweeps you shot (we'd average about twenty a day). 95% of them were one rounders, but I once did a six round one for the 101st when they were kinda upset about something or with somebody. I know the ammo section sure hated zone sweeps!
Lastly The M114 has a slightly longer barrel with a groove machined near the muzzel. Never saw one of these in country, and we never even knew they existed! Otherwise the howitzers look identical to me.
gary
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 07:57 AM UTC
Well, Gino and crew can chime in on me, but I served with the 1st Cavalry in Vietnam (69-70). We sure had 155s. The firebase had a battery of 105s and three 155s. I vividly recall that the battery commander of the 155 battery got killed in Cambodia while visiting his firing platoon on FSB Ranch. They were moved from firebase to firebase by CH-54 Sky Crane. I seem to recall the 105s were also moved by CH-47, but I could be mistaken. I know the Sky Crane always brought the 155s in....they blew everything down and dirt flew through the air...just about chow time. I am also pretty darn sure we used the same 155 set up when I was with the 101st up North. Up there we were certainly backed-up by 175s fire. That was a freight train noise....I might be able to dig up a photo tonight.
DJ

Try this link to see a 155 firing in Vietnam with the 1st Cav...
http://www.first-team.us/journals/div_arty/da_ndx01.html
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:40 AM UTC
When I was at the Officers basic Course at Ft. Sill in 1968, some of the national Guard units were still equipped with the towed 8 inch howitzer (M-115). To my knowledge, none of the active duty units were using the towed pice by then. They had all converted to the M-110's for 8 inch.

Early in Vietnam, the Marines deployed the M-53 155 guns and M-55 8 inch howitzers. I believe a couple fo the gun batteries were still trading their 155mm guns for 175's in 1968. We Marines used to joke about it since the army had the M-53 155 guns as "Gate Guards" at Ft. Sill. By the time I got to Vietnam in 1969, all of the M-53's and M-55's had been replaced by M-107's and M-110's.

As far as the 155mm howitzers were concerned, the towed piece was the M-114A1. It was initially deployed with the 4th Battalions of the Marine artillery regiments (11th, 12th and 13th Marines). Prior to1969, the 4th Battalions transitioned to the M-109 SPH's. When that happened, the Marine artillery regiments held onto their M-114's and used them in provisional batteries or simply attached the pieces to other batteries when a bit more throw weight was desired.

If memory serves me correctly, any time the M-107's and M-110's had to make significant shifts in direction of fire, the vehicles had to be started and moved....which meant they had to be re-layed after they were pointed in the right direction. The M-109's simply had to traverse their turrets. The Army's M-102 105mm howitzer could also simply be traversed using its base plate and terra tire. The towed M-101 105mm howitzers could generally be turned without having to be relayed. The same was true for the M-114's, especially when using a field expedient "turning jack".

We generally used the 8 inch howitzers to take out bunker complexes. The 175's were used to support recon patrols and positions that were out of range of everything else. (Been there. Done that. Not much fun.) The point being that the guns were usually laid in the general direction of where they were expected to be needed so that the vehicles would not have to be moved before firing.

Semper fi,
Dave
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 05:50 PM UTC
I concur, M114A1 were the primary 155 towed artillery piece for the US Army in Vietnam. They were used extensively.
dobon68
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 329 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 07:31 AM UTC
I don't wish to highjack this thread but I was wondering if the M8 A1 cargo tractor was used in Vietnam to tow the howitzers? I have the old Nito kit and was hoping to build/upgrade it as a Vietnam based vehicle?
Any info would be much appreciated.
Cheers
David
 _GOTOTOP