_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
PHOTOS: MODEL
Land Rover 'Wolf' with MILAN
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 05:55 AM UTC
Henk Meerdink has added another Accurate Armour Land Rover to the On Display collection.

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:08 AM UTC
Very nice Henk!
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:31 AM UTC
Thanks Sean.

Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:53 AM UTC
Nice work henk.
whiteeagle
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 299 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:01 AM UTC
Excellent job Henk!

Adam
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:35 AM UTC
Cheers Scott and Adam

airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 01:11 PM UTC
Well done and a good effort Henk .

Accurate Armour did a good job with making this series of land rovers .

Very nice .

Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 01:50 PM UTC
Thanks Michael,

Quoted Text

Accurate Armour did a good job with making this series of land rovers .

They did indeed, but the individual kits vary quite a bit... believe me, I've done four, and have another two to go for this commission, no two of these are the same. Which is just as well, as I usually don't build the same model more than once.

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 02:41 PM UTC
Very nice work but the suspension on the AA Rovers seems to sit too high.....none of the images I have seen of real vehicles show them that jacked up........have you tried to address that in your builds?
House
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 02:58 PM UTC
Henk

You have done a terrific job here. I have built several of these Rovers (and own a Rover 1:1 scale) and they are difficult and beautiful when done. It was great when the offered the pre-assembled frame! I ordered three frames so that I could finally finish several of the earlier models. I have one over at the AA site gallery if you ever wander over there. I like the DPM on the packs as well...it is quite realistically scaled. Great job.

Mike Powers
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:23 PM UTC
Very nice build Henk even it it's too clean in my opinion.
Two questions : How was the fit and did the PSP come with the kit ?

Olivier
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work but the suspension on the AA Rovers seems to sit too high.....none of the images I have seen of real vehicles show them that jacked up........have you tried to address that in your builds?

Thanks Jason Yes, you are right, the suspension is a bit of a tricky part of these kits. For reasons only known to Accurate Armour, they include small springs, which are supposed to be pressed down to the right height, "just like the real thing"... unfortunately, that puts a lot of strain on the various suspension parts, which makes it both difficult to get the suspension straight (level) and at the right height. The original chassis, which consisted of multiple separate pieces in white metal and resin, was even worse, it even came with a special jig to set the rear suspension I cut the springs down to the required lenght, but even then every kit comes out slightly differently. This is in part because every kit is 'hand cast', and the various parts differ greatly in quality and fit (trying to fit the V8 engine and drive train is a real joy...not). As good and accurate as these kits are, the fit can be a bit of a problem, and most of the larger parts, such as the (new) one piece resin chassis, body etc usually need a fair bit of prodding with the hair dryer.. And yes, some times the suspension does sit a little bit to high, sometimes it sits better. It takes a bit of practise, and a lot of dryfitting (which requires about four pairs of hands... ).

Quoted Text

I have one over at the AA site gallery if you ever wander over there. I like the DPM on the packs as well...it is quite realistically scaled. Great job.

Thanks Mike, I know your vignette on the AA site (the August 2004 winner, congratulations..) indeed, I have wondered which figures you used, and the bike? Are the two in the LR the AA crew? I have one in their gallery as well, in NATO Green, which I did a few years ago, but lately they don't seem to add any new models to the gallery. DPM is a pain... The more samples I look at, the more different patterns and colours I seem to find...

Quoted Text

Very nice build Henk even it it's too clean in my opinion.
Two questions : How was the fit and did the PSP come with the kit ?

Thanks Oliver, the fit was good overall, but, due to the casting process, some parts can be tricky, and need a bit of persuasion to fit properly. All the kit you see in the picture comes in the box. Indeed, Accurate Armour included everything AND the kitchensink (superb decals, a real joy to work with ) long before Dragon jumped on that particular band wagon...

Cheers guys, I appreciate the comments

Henk
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:46 PM UTC
Oh, Olivier, I agree with you, I like to add a bit more 'life' to my models, but customer wanted some of these just clean and tidy. I am however using some 'artistic licence' on some of the duplicate ones (yes, like three of the SAS Land Rovers LR009... ), for example this "Winter/Water" prepared version. Mind you, it only includes the raised air intake, and a PVC cover over the dash board to set it apart from the others..

Cheers
Henk
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 04:36 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply and answer Henk....I think when I build mine I will replace the stiff metal spring with thin metal solder or a more pliable metal wire coiled like the shock spring.
William_Bradley
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 06:20 PM UTC
Henk,

Nice, clean build. Very well done.

Bill
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 02:36 AM UTC
Really, really nice Henk. Love those Landies....

Bob
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 05:27 AM UTC
Beautiful build. Seeing this makes me wish I hadn't sold my Landy several years back. (it wasn't as impressive as this one )

Cheers,
Charles
 _GOTOTOP