Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Resicast Universal Carrier T16
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hi John,

Thamks

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 01:31 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well despitev some dealys I finally got underway this afternoon.

The first step is to decie whether you want to build an early or late version of the carrier as you get both options in the kit. At the moment I'm leaning towards an early version, although the later version with the disc wheels might be cool. You need to do this at the start as you get both early and late front bulkheads and once these get stuck you're committed.

First step is to clean up the lower hull. You need to drill out the sprocket fixings, axle fixing and some small holes on the rear of the hull. Then tidy up the cast pours on the rear of the hull and file the panels smooth.

Take care when cutting parts MB (early Bulkhead) and rear panel MD as these have small projections that would easily get broken off.

After that cut out and lightly sand the side and rear plates. There is no hurry to rush here and start sticking things down, better to clean up and test fit al the parts you want first.

Next I'll clean the engine block, rear drive axle and front panel. I will also clean up the late bulkhead as of course I'm still undecided which wasy to go in the build

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 03:22 AM UTC
A little more.

With the engine, radiator cover and top front plate set in.

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 04:41 AM UTC
Off to a good start Alan.

I think a lot of photos misidentify T 16s as Universal carriers or else they just get labelled as "Bren Gun Carriers" I think I've seen a photo of one serving with the Irish Brigade in Italy 1944 in the national museum here in Dublin, I'll check it out.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

Thanks, appreciated. There are some good references in Vol 2 of the Universal Carrier, just a bit undecided to go with the early or late wheels, I have to re-read the history again. The later wheels might be more interesting.

New Actavar !!

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 04:37 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Only a small amount of progress, fitted the radiator and radiator cover to the engine. As you can see in the build instructions there are a lot of small PE handles to be fitted to the engine plus the early left and right coolers so that will be the next job. Also cleaned up some on the many stowage boxes and radio and marked the parts for reference later.

The T16 was the only carrier to have a lever drive mechanism. The rear axle will need to be built early too as it is somewhat more complex than the standard axle in the UC.

Engine fittings

Rear Axle fittings

newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 05:04 AM UTC
alan its coming along nicely

Its looking good mate keep up the good work buddy!

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 05:23 PM UTC
Hi James,

Thanks for dropping in.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

well I got a little done today.

This is the engine fitted with the radiator cover and radiator plus the small catches and handles on the engine covers.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 05:22 AM UTC
Rear Axle Stage 1

Stage 2 a bit more tricky, these link in behind the axle. SHould be un with resin.

Some small parts here:

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC
Stage 2 complete. Fortunately the silly glue left me enough time to move the fittings into place. The small PE part is the under guard that fixes to the rear plate when mounted.

Not too bad with both eye full of fusidic acid which I'm having to use to clear an eye infection I've had these last 3 weeks!!

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hi foklks,

A litle more progress, make sure you fit the engine block before you fit the front bulkhead, I didn't and had all sorts of problems as the engine block stuck solid on contact and I think is a little out of alignment, which just goes to prove you shouldn't model with your eyes full of ointment

I fitted the left and right coolers and added some plumbing to them plus the PE screens that cover them, This is most certainly a paint as you go operation.

I shall see if the engine block can be moved 1mm to the left but I may just have to live with it.

Al
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 04:00 AM UTC
Alan nice work, it looks very complecated!.

nice to see your build looking so clean mate!

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 04:11 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well I thought about the aligement issue for a few days, tried for a week to loosen and remove it and in the end resorted to somewhat drastic measures and cut it out throught the floor!! Fortunately I didn't do too muh damage.

This is the fix on the underside some experimental green Irish mud lol, lol.

Correct alignment

so don't fit the bulk head first is the lesson here.

Moving on I fited the rear floor plates, fuel tanks and the 2 rear stowage boxes that sit on top of the fuel tanks, then the exhausts, PE screens and rear large bins.

As I want to finish the carrier as an Anti Tank carrier towing a 6pdr I thought I best consult the reference books. Nigel Watson's Universal carrier show some excellent pictures of the stowage arangement. However, war time rarely realates to the prade ground and in this case neither does the Resicast stowage set.

I reviewed the set here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/3561

As I wish to use the towing hooks for the gun the bulk stowage item would not be appropriate as far as I can tell. Planning the stowage with out it and I would have liked to have seen an extra 3 separate steel ammo boxes which would have allowed for the basic layout to have been copied. Not really an issue I shall just pack in some alternative arrangements plus a No 19 radio. The two figures that accompany it do sit well in their alloted place.

Enough talk some pics of the possible layout:

I added the 4 sets of wheels this morning.

Al

jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 07:36 PM UTC
Looking good Al !
I see those Resicast figures you reviewed have been put to good use !!
The guy in the gunner position almost looks like he's got motion sickness and is about to "toss his cookies" !!!
Anticipating the final product !!
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 10:17 PM UTC
Morning John,

Yes, they might work here, we'll see. At least my eyes are healing up and I can get a bit more done.

Thanks for dropping in.

Tracks and rear fittings next, plus some work on the crew.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 07:26 AM UTC
Some tracks,

Next I'll finish off the drivers compartment and see if I can adapt The Universal Carrier Driver to fit the T16 kit.

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

A bit of an update. I ran into a few porblems wiht the new crew. I wanted the RHS crewnman up on the bin and unfortunately in that position his legs looked tiny, in fact they booth seem to have very short and thin legs. So I decided that I should alter them. This is a a WIP and I have stil more I need to do but this is the crew in their new poses. I changed a couple of arms too again to fit with the scene.

Picsture of driver and 2 crewmen. As you can see the driver looks and fits well, but the legs of the two crewmen are tiny.

with altered legs (more work is needed here but you should get the idea.

Not much of a sclupter but with a bit more work they should work.

Al

jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 02:46 PM UTC
Hey Al,
You sure weren't kidding when you said the legs were skinny !
Put them in designer threads and those guys wouldn't look out of place on a fashion walkway in New York, Paris or Milan !!
They look better now with your alterations, better but a bit lumpy !!
I'm looking forward to the finished products.
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 07:41 PM UTC
Hi John,

It was really noticable when I put the RHS crewman sitting up on top of the bin, They need some knees,the upper thighs altered and some of the lumps and bumps removed but these are just the basic shape I'm trying for and I'll need to let the milliput cure before I do any more.

The driver if fine and fits the carrier well, life!

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hi folks

Well a bit more, I've had a rethink about the stowage. and switched the bulk RHS rear to another piece, this was to accommodate the 2 x 6pdr ammo cases stored on that side. These were held in by what looks like a flat bar running down the top of the boxes. I've done a bit more work on the RHS crewman. The exteneded legs look pretty good to me and I cut of and replaced his left arm. Some Unit patches and maybe a rank with some additional 37 pattern equipment and I think he will do.

On the RHS rae again I've changed the arrangement and installed a No 18 wirless set. Again this is becasuse of the ammo stowage, two stacked boxes were carrier on the RHS so a No 19 set wouldn't fit . I've done some plumbing to 3 radio points, in the T16 wireless connections were also in the drivers/codriver area. I've used some spare stowage boxes to fill things out a bit. Some T16 appear to have had a plate front L & Rfor stowage and some not, so I compromised and put in some kit. I broke a pedal and replace it with a filed down mirror from an old carrier!!! On the rear I have added a cable reel and an looking for a suitable point for a telephone box, not the big red kind . I mounted the radio on 3 small L brackets made from L beam

I have added some slings to the rifles and have some to fit in the front too. The AT carriers seem to have had a crew of 5/6. The 5/6 passenger sat in the rear facing backwards either side so I may have to add one more seat. Mine will only have a 5 man crew. Alternatively I will just add some more 6pde ammo boxes. Packs and general clutter have yet to be added but I took me some time to decide if I would go with the layout I'd seen or something adhoc.

I've tried an alternative in webbing colour and I think the figs look reasonably good?????

A ways to go yet but once the driver and rifles are added I can probably move onto the fixing the front.

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hey Al,
Your carrier is really coming along.
Hey, don't over think the stowage though.
My Dad said that most of his unit's UC's looked like gypsy caravans, those things got crammed with spare gear, kit and liberated booty.
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for looking. My intention had been to use the bulk stowage on the rear of the carrier, but as I want to add the tow hooks this isn't possible. I also wanted to have the basic ammo stowage layout, what goes on top of that remains to be decided, but I dare say there wil be a bit more to add in . It's just getting the mix of items right.

Cheers

Al
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 02:45 AM UTC
Superb, Mate.
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hi Alan. must say nice work!. I really like your figures! they look superb!.

Great painting, im looking foward to seeing this finished!