M3A1 Scout Car
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 535 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:49 AM UTC
Hey Folk,

I'm going build as one of my winter project a M3A1 Scout Car and so far I've only found 2 companies making them Revell and Zvezda.

I'm planning to make it into Patton's Command Car.

Does anyone know which is the better kit? And are there any known PE out there for them? I've looked and haven't found any, although I found Eduard use to make one but I haven't yet found one still available.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 01:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Folk,

I'm going build as one of my winter project a M3A1 Scout Car and so far I've only found 2 companies making them Revell and Zvezda.

Does anyone know which is the better kit? And are there any known PE out there for them? I've looked and haven't found any, although I found Eduard use to make one but I haven't yet found one still available.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Same kit, the former Peerless Max kit released in 1977. The molds now belong to Italeri, which has marketing deals with Zvezda and Revell/Germany. Just buy whichever one seems cheapest. I've been told that some boxings include the canvas top and some don't, but the vehicle was rarely operated with the top anyway. Eduard has a very useful photoetch set for it.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 01:25 PM UTC
The Zvezda is about $5 cheaper on Great Models site, and it comes with the (molded) canvas top, which I have no intention of using.

I questioned if it was the same model since one was about 25% cheaper than the other. Cheaper is not always better, but in this case it appears to be the same.

Thanks for the info.

And they (GM) has the PE too, just not listed as M3A1 ... listed as M-3.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 02:29 PM UTC
Hey Dave,
A number of other manufacturers kits that are reboxed and released by Revell Germany seem a bit more expensive when compared to the originals.
Mind you, I just saw 3 of RG's M3 Scout Car at my LHS this afternoon and they were going for $19.99 CDN each.
I've seen the Italeri and Zvezda version of the kit going for $5 - $10 more.
All depends on who's selling it.
FYI - the Zvezda and RG kits are identical, with the molded tarp but the RG set gives you some very different markings.
Cheers

jjumbo
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 02:43 PM UTC
My Zvezda offering had pretty deep sinkholes in a lot of the parts. Don't know about the others.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 02:52 PM UTC
On Great Model Website the Revell is about $21 and the Zvezda for $16 go figure ... I live in BFE so I have no Hobby Shop anywhere near here so everything has to be ordered or make a 200 mile round trip trek.

Here is what I'm planing to build ... even though I'm a Jarhead (Marine) Patton is high on my list.

Any info about the car would be great if anyone has any.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 02:19 AM UTC
Dave-- great project. I am looking at the photo you sent and see it shows Patton as a Lieutenant General with the 1st Armored Corps designation on the bumper. So, the shot is from his post Kasserine Pass days as the commander of the II Corps. I also seem to recall a photo of the same vehicle with him in Sicily. If that is correct than you can also use the bumper markings for the 7th Army. Interesting project and probably one that wil required some research about the radio set-up and the twin .50's displayed. I'll dig around and let you know anything I discover.
Best of luck,
DJ
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 02:25 AM UTC
Here's a link to our section at WarWheels on Patton's M3A1.
http://www.warwheels.net/M3A1WhiteScoutPattonPictures.html

We only have two photos and unfortunately one of which is also the same one you show. We do have a rear-right quarter side shot too.

If you get anything else, let us know. We'd all like to see more pics.

BTW, with you being in Kentucky, have you thought about hitting the Patton Museum at Ft. Knox? They have an extensive research library and if anyone would have pics of Patton's "White", I'd think they would have 'em.
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 02:53 AM UTC
I agree with everyone that all of the M3A1 kits are the same, although different makers kits may have added sprues that others do not. IIRC, the Peerless kit came with a crew while some of the others don't. I myself bought the Revell kit off Ebay for around $20.00.

As for the picture above, Patton wasn't the only one to do that to his car, I believe there is a picture in Concord's " US Tank Battles in North Africa and Italy 1943-45 " of a different car showing the same added armor etc. In other words while searching for pics/info, perhaps not narrowing it down to just Patton may turn up some other information.

SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 03:07 AM UTC
I've sent them (Patton Museum) an email to see what they have they do inter-library loans I believe, I'm at the far western end of the state so it's a day trip to go there. At least gas prices have come down some. It's mainly finding time to do it.

I've only found 2 photos thus far of Patton's M3A1 and the the same 2 that pop up everywhere you look for them.

The other one ...

It will require making a few mod's, but nothing appears to be major. Might be a little guess work involved on some of it if all I can find are these 2 images.

Yes this one was with the 1AF and I think he used it in Sicily with the 7th but I haven't seen an image yet (other than in the movie which is dubious at best). If I had time I'd like to build about a 3' section of column with tanks, half tracks jeeps and Patton's M3A1 ... but I'm realistic I know I'll never have time to build that, jeez I have over 100 unbuilt models at the moment I need to address. That's what happens when you take a 3 year break from building, but not buying.

Thanks a ton for all the info so far.

Quoted Text

perhaps not narrowing it down to just Patton may turn up some other information.

I've searched about every (insert verb, noun, adjective) _ M3A1, M3, M-3 A1 M3 A1, etc etc and I keep getting the same 2 images ... I know, I just know there are more out there somewhere.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 03:23 AM UTC
Kit was Max, then Airfix, Italeri, RG, Zvesda, & RG + Italeri again...

Seen the Max, built the Airfix, got the Zvesda.. all have sink holes big enough to fall in,
Get the photo etch if possible & bin the guns...
Tamiya did a 5 famous generals set.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 03:47 AM UTC
Dave --- Patton Museum is probably the best source. If you can spare the time and make pre arrrival arrangements, they are superb in helping you. I used them several times when I was doing my thesis. Great group.
DJ
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My Zvezda offering had pretty deep sinkholes in a lot of the parts. Don't know about the others.

Yeah, they all pretty much have them. Peerless kits have lots of detail & are pretty accurate, especially for the time they were produced, but the moulds themselves were not really well made. At the time, sink-holes were not as big a deal as they are today, but even then, a lot of Peerless kits had sink hole & shrinkage problems. It all has to do with the injection parameters and the gating & sprues on the moulds and if none of the tool owners has seen fit to modify the tools after all these years, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

You'll just have to break out the putty & Mr. Surfacer.

Paul
CDK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've searched about every (insert verb, noun, adjective) _ M3A1, M3, M-3 A1 M3 A1, etc etc and I keep getting the same 2 images ... I know, I just know there are more out there somewhere.

Yup, there certainly are !

As I had said earlier, in this book:

on page 28 there is another picture of an M3A1 modified like Patton's. The text below the picture claims it belongs to Maj. Gen. G. Keyes, the deputy commander of the Seventh Army and it's outside the Royal Palace in Palermo.

Perhaps searching with some of those keywords, new pictures will turn up ?

HTH
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 07:29 AM UTC
"I've sent them (Patton Museum) an email to see what they have they do inter-library loans I believe, I'm at the far western end of the state so it's a day trip to go there".

The Patton Museum staff can be VERY busy, so you might not necessarily get a response. Or, if you do, they might not want to do digging for you and might want you to come down there. I'm not saying that will happen, but don't be surprised.

SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 02:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"I've sent them (Patton Museum) an email to see what they have they do inter-library loans I believe, I'm at the far western end of the state so it's a day trip to go there".

The Patton Museum staff can be VERY busy, so you might not necessarily get a response. Or, if you do, they might not want to do digging for you and might want you to come down there. I'm not saying that will happen, but don't be surprised.

Oh I know ... but I learned long ago that you never know until you ask, worse they can say is no.
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 01:09 AM UTC
As an aside... about 90% of Legend or Blast M2/M3 Half Track stowage will work on the Scout Car. However, looking at the Patton version, 90% of that stowage would not apply...
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As an aside... about 90% of Legend or Blast M2/M3 Half Track stowage will work on the Scout Car. However, looking at the Patton version, 90% of that stowage would not apply...

Pilfering the Dragon M2 Halftrack kit is also a good source for detail bits on a scout car. I'm thinking my MG skate rail will end up on a Scout Car as opposed to on the halftrack it came with.

Paul
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 06:16 AM UTC
Ive got the Revel kit unbuilt in front of me. THe instructions look clear,the moulding look crisp, lots of sink marks but not hard to sort. the instructions are clear ,remind me of arfix type. Its got the canvas roof cover. THe instructions cover 51 stages. 5 markings but none for your build, could use some of the stars. willing to swap for somthing like a Tamiya soft skin Horch or somthing sim hope this helps . private message me I pay'd £13.99 for it. A1 con. I was going to do a captured German truck
CDK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pilfering the Dragon M2 Halftrack kit is also a good source for detail bits on a scout car. I'm thinking my MG skate rail will end up on a Scout Car as opposed to on the halftrack it came with.

Paul

Didn't someone recently do that and post a picture of his kit with the Dragon parts added ?

*of course the skate rail needs to be cut down and re-bent in order to fit the scout car.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:44 AM UTC
great project ill help out as well by the way what BFE
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:13 PM UTC
this the one?

this is cobbatons example,

SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 02:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

great project ill help out as well by the way what BFE

Bum F*** Egypt a.k.a. the middle of no where old military term for "close to nothing."

Hey Folks thanks for all the info and pic I'll add them to my info folder for this project. I have a lot of searching to do before I start ... I'm trying to track down the Lt Gen stars and flags, might just have to make my own. Might not get started on this until winter but I believe in the 6 P's ( Just in case you don't know that phrase - Proper Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance.)

Again thanks.
Dave
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 03:16 PM UTC
Hey Folks, look at the 2 pictures of Patton's M'3 and look at the right front fender.

Does anyone know what that is? It's not the shovel and ax that's on the other side on the door. It kind looks like a a field mortar support legs. But those are the only two pictures I can find. There is about 4 seconds of footage of it on the Battlefront DVD set, but I can't make it out there either.

I've got the model and Patton (which I'm working on) I waiting on Styrene and a PE set to come in, the PE is being "located" ah-la GM's.

Thanks
nolifoto
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 03:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Folk,

Thanks in advance.
Dave

I build one before. It was an italeri kit then. Since I think the measurement of the cab is very similar to the M2 halftrack so you can probably use the PEs intended for the M2. Also, Skybow came out with the Dodge Staff car of Gen. Patton so you can use the decals intended for it. It has the red banner with stars.

_GOTOTOP