_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1A1 Abrams Help Non slip coating
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hey Gino,

That picture is just what I have been looking for. My Chally 2 has been sitting half built for too long after having no luck finding such an image.

Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!! Jim.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 09:52 AM UTC
Very nice. It's similar to a method a guy named Guido did on his Merk using Chinchilla sand and hairspray. It has yielded the best results I've seen to date. I would only caution the use of baking soda-I saw some models at MasterCon in '96, and also some in Japan the same year (from Shep Paine) that had little cauliflower growths (up to 1/2 inch wide) sprouting right through the paint from the baking soda. I've no idea how long it takes, or if it happens all of the time, but it has deterred me from using it.

Quoted Text

I haven't had the chance to use the Rust-Oleum Terra Cotta spray Gino speaks of, I plan to someday though. However I have textured armor using Future floor wax and Baking Soda. I masked of the area and in sections I brushed on the Future and sprinkled on the Baking Soda. Let it dry and move onto the next section.

This photo may not be the best to see the results, but it did really work out well. I say try it out on a scrap piece of plastic or cardboard.

Joe

johnlinford
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:29 AM UTC
Thanks Bob , thanks Jim . Like the look of the games workshop spray , wonder if its the same as Mr Surfacer 500 .
Challenger soon . All-ready started the tracks.
Thanks again ,
John .
woody6968
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 02:35 AM UTC
hi john ,, i was in b and q on saturday , they have a range og aero can paint , plati coat ,,,, they have a few different textured paints ,, i looked at the can top and i have to say looked a big out of scale for 1/35th ,, i have not tried them and im still sitting weighin up my options , i have mr surfacer 500 ready to go through my airbrush , but after reading some links on here , i dont think i want to try that eigther ,,,, that tins of plasty coat sell at £6.99 i think , would be cheeper than buying a new airbrush thats for sure ,, if you take this option ,, let us know your out come , and good luck
woody6968
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 03:27 AM UTC
hi again john , ive just been to hobby world in gateshead retail park and bought a tin of "plasti coat velvet touch" it has a much better tuxture for none slip in 1/35th scale ,, i just tried it on some scrap plastic card ,, it looks great ,but it stinks id do it out side or in the garage ,,, hope this helps ,, oh and it was in a clearance sale so i got a large tin for £4.99
dogfish7
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 09:09 AM UTC
Great article guys!
Blackwraith
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 04:18 AM UTC
I found a cheap air can supply and air brush to match at my local Hobby Lobby, and it gives the same effect. For a display model it works great .It does not give too much detail to it as it would seem almost smooth but will have some texture to the overall paint scheme .
 _GOTOTOP