_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tasca Sherman II "Cricklade" WIP
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 02:07 AM UTC
In addition to Jim Rae's build, here are pics of mine. It's been a speedy build due to the excellent engineering and accuracy. Small areas of filler were needed but not bad at all.

In a photo I have of "Cricklade" the turret lifting lugs are in the lowered position and the tools are missing. I placed the lugs in the correct position and am going to put ABER tool mounting bits on the hull. You see where I placed a weld bead on the rear turret bin as well.

In my excitement to glue together the main subassemblies, I missed Tasca's clear warning to line up the upper nose bolt strip (part C44) with the rest of the nose. You see a step there when it should be flush.

A minor nitpick is the taillights. In reality the lights mounted via a post at the rear of the taillight housing. Tasca molded this as a larger rectangular bit. I shaved back the Tasca parts (C32 & C33) and filled in the area on the hull.

Here's some small filling on the excellent VVS bogies

It's been a joy to build so far. I only started this a few days ago!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hi Roy,

The nice thing about 'Cricklade' is the option to leave the sand skirts off. It's one of the few I've seen like that, so one of the options I'll probably build will be that one.

I have to say this is a kit that cries out for an interior

Al
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 02:57 AM UTC
I totally agree. I seriously thought about modelling one of the KO'd US 1AD M4A1s in tunisia -- you know the pic of the one where the turret was blown off and rested with its barrel impaled in the driver's hatch? Ah well... too many other projects really. I just wanted to do this as a quick one...
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 03:20 AM UTC
Hi Roy,

Now this is a British Vehicle, I'll be expecting no kind of rush job here !!! lol, lol.

Anyway you know if you don't take your time and do it right it will only annoy you later

Patience Grasshopper, Patience!!

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 02:49 PM UTC
Nice Roy! I have saved these pics for reference when I get my filthy paws on one of these kits
Brad
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In my excitement to glue together the main subassemblies, I missed Tasca's clear warning to line up the upper nose bolt strip (part C44) with the rest of the nose. You see a step there when it should be flush.

This isn't an M4a1 (naturallly enough) but it does have the early bolted transmission. Not as flush as I thought: Also, athought for designers and builders, the bolts seem to protrude a little too much on the model?

ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 08:24 AM UTC
Jim: herein lies the difficulties of Sherman arcana.

There were actually several types 3 piece differentials with different types of bolt strips. If one analyzes early M4A1s, you'll see that Tasca's depection is correct -- unbroken strip with protruding bolts. Later types had boltheads more protected and had a protective lip as in your photo.

Here's a picture of "Michael" and you see there's no lip (although there are small depressions for the boltheads)

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 06:05 AM UTC
Nice picture!

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:12 AM UTC
So Roy, your beef is with the bottom edge of the bolt strip correct? This should be flush as per "Michael", with no discernable join, I imagine...
Brad
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:47 AM UTC
Thank you for sharing, Roy, and thank you for the clarification on the transmission covers.

Having recently put the etch skirts on a DML Sherman III, I am looking very forward to trying the plastic skirts on this Tasca kit. The whole model looks very, very nice.

-Doug
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 08:36 PM UTC
Looking great Roy, nice clean build. Will have to check back when you get some paint on it!

Thanks for sharing your work. Cheers -

Tim
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 05:43 AM UTC
Nice, looking good too !

Really need to get myself one of these kits and soon.

Thanks for pointing out the nuances found on the various differentials possible, something I'll be looking into for my build.

:-H

Catch that Hiro ? The transmission cover is inside the tank.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC
Roy-- very nice work. What adhesive are you using?
DJ
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 05:57 AM UTC
DJ I got a huge can of methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) from Home Depot and regularly fill an old Tamiya liquid cement bottle (with its sweet fine tipped brush applicator). I hold my breath and work in well-ventilated areas. MEK is nasty stuff
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 05:59 AM UTC
Lamont: for some more discussion about differentials look here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1225648171/Is+there+actual+a+Difference+in+3-Part+Transmissions-
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 06:25 AM UTC
Roy, slightly off-topic but the Incredible Blogging Man (due to my differential questions) has now given me the sobriquet 'The Pied Piper' whereas you have been listed as a mere 'Spear Carrier' or 'Follower' .

I honestly don't know whether to laugh, cry or see if I can find where the A-Team hang out....
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 08:20 AM UTC
Haha! I'm FAMOUS!

"The fact is ...
My friend, also known as Pied Piper , I just saw your follower showed us a photo of the Sherman "Michael" that got the bolts on stripes on the transmission cover protruding. However I think he hid the fact that a correct bolt stripe on the transmission cover didn't get all bolts laid on the flat stripe like now in Pocket Model's Sherman DV kit, but should be immerged into the holes with larger diameter just like the real photo shows. Subsequent wartime Shermans then have recessed, flat edged bolts."

JIm is Pied Piper and I'm the unnamed "follower" (but I clearly cite in my photos that Michael has the recessed holes). Hiroshi-blogger needs to bone up on his reading a bit.

Hey, Hiroshi: why don't you come to Michigan or an AMPS Convention? I have a present for you...

That being said, if DML does give us recessed bolt holes, bravo! I'm having a ball w/the Pocket M4A1 however. I shaved off the disc on the roadwheel hubs and according to pics, I'm gonna add some holes to two sets of the RHS roadwheel arms. I also added putty in front of my bolt strip to eliminate the step. I'll shoot it with some primer to see how it looks.
Damraska
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for pointing out the nuances found on the various differentials possible, something I'll be looking into for my build.

I've seen the nose piece referred to as a transmission cover, differential cover, final drive housing, and probably some other things. Hunnicutt calls it a differential cover. Is that the correct term?

Quoted Text

Just out of curiosity what, exactly, is the transmission cover, then?

Finally, I am trying to learn and understand. If I make a mistake, I would like to know about it, but there is no need to be sarcastic.

-Doug
Damraska
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I shaved off the disc on the roadwheel hubs and according to pics, I'm gonna add some holes to two sets of the RHS roadwheel arms.

Roy, If I may, why was it necessary to shave off the disc on the roadwheel hubs? Is it a fit problem, or a detail on the tank you are building, or something else? Also, what does RHS stand for? I have not seen that acronym before in this context.

Thanks.

-Doug
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Finally, I am trying to learn and understand. If I make a mistake, I would like to know about it, but there is no need to be sarcastic.

Sorry dude.

My post was aimed at Hiroshi and his latest entry in his blog, the one that Jim Rae alluded to after my post which proved he was reading this thread. Hence the:

Quoted Text

I didn't even read your post or in any way mean to offend.

But to answer your question, I believe the transmission is inside the tank, so the 'cover' would be as well. Again, it was aimed at the blogger not you,

sorry.
Damraska
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My post was aimed at Hiroshi and his latest entry in his blog, the one that Jim Rae posted after my post which proved he was reading this thread.

Check check. I'm sorry for misunderstanding and jumping to the wrong conclusion. Too much Halloween candy, I guess.

[quote]But to answer your question, I believe the transmission is inside the tank, so the 'cover' would be as well.

On an M3 or M4, the differential sits right behind the differential cover with the final drives at either end. The transmission sits behind the differential, perpendicular to it. The differential cover essentially protects all three components--differential, final drives, and transmission--which probably explains the many names used for it. Hunnicutt calls it a differential cover.

There is a case that surrounds the transmission components (gears, shafts, and do forth) but no additional cover I can see, other than the nose piece itself.

-Doug
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've seen the nose piece referred to as a transmission cover, differential cover, final drive housing, and probably some other things. Hunnicutt calls it a differential cover. Is that the correct term?

Yes or differential housing as the differential is housed in it.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just out of curiosity what, exactly, is the transmission cover, then?

-Doug

The transmission, along with the final drives and steering brakes are basically attached to the diffferential.

All photos from my website.
As you can see in these two photos, the transmission is not "covered" by the housing. It is attached to the whole unit. TM 9-759 for the M4A3 refers to this complete assembly as the "Power Train Assembly". Transmission cover probably refers to the actual transmission housing.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
Damraska
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[As you can see in these two photos, the transmission is not "covered" by the housing. It is attached to the whole unit. TM 9-759 for the M4A3 refers to this complete assembly as the "Power Train Assembly". Transmission cover probably refers to the actual transmission housing.

Now how is that for service? Thank you for the explanation and pictures, Chris. You have thoroughly illuminated the subject.

-Doug
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 11:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Haha! I'm FAMOUS!

"The fact is ...
My friend, also known as Pied Piper , I just saw your follower showed us a photo of the Sherman "Michael" that got the bolts on stripes on the transmission cover protruding. However I think he hid the fact that a correct bolt stripe on the transmission cover didn't get all bolts laid on the flat stripe like now in Pocket Model's Sherman DV kit, but should be immerged into the holes with larger diameter just like the real photo shows. Subsequent wartime Shermans then have recessed, flat edged bolts."

JIm is Pied Piper and I'm the unnamed "follower" (but I clearly cite in my photos that Michael has the recessed holes). Hiroshi-blogger needs to bone up on his reading a bit.

Hey, Hiroshi: why don't you come to Michigan or an AMPS Convention? I have a present for you...

That being said, if DML does give us recessed bolt holes, bravo! I'm having a ball w/the Pocket M4A1 however. I shaved off the disc on the roadwheel hubs and according to pics, I'm gonna add some holes to two sets of the RHS roadwheel arms. I also added putty in front of my bolt strip to eliminate the step. I'll shoot it with some primer to see how it looks.

Roy,
It's good to hear that you're having fun with this kit as there's no reason for anyone to be down about it just because some paid employee of the lizard says you should. I'm sure he/she/it has never read through any M4 series TM's, let alone climbed on or in one.

Keep us updated with your progress on the kit.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures

Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

[As you can see in these two photos, the transmission is not "covered" by the housing. It is attached to the whole unit. TM 9-759 for the M4A3 refers to this complete assembly as the "Power Train Assembly". Transmission cover probably refers to the actual transmission housing.

Now how is that for service? Thank you for the explanation and pictures, Chris. You have thoroughly illuminated the subject.

-Doug

No problem!

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
 _GOTOTOP