_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Modelkasten links- I love them!
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hello,

I received the new Modelkasten tracks for my T- 55 yesterday.
I already connected some and I must say, they look great, behave like real tracks, the sag is fantastic and the connector pins are quite stable. I thought I must be veeeery careful with the assembled track, but thereīs no need for that.

It takes much less time to put them together than Friul tracks, no clean up necessary, because thereīs no flash, just sanding the tiny bit where it was connected with the sprue, no extra drilling, no need for a motor tool, no need to cut plastic or metal rod for connecting, no glue required- great!

The only thing that you donīt have is extra weight on your model, but I can use some lead inside the hull, instead.
And one other advantage over Friul in my opinion (besides the left and right hand side problem), is the price. Over here in Germany, I saved 8 Euros (9,50$), compared to the Friul tracks.

Violetrock
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 03:46 AM UTC
I have never done Fruile tracks, but I have done Modelkasten several times now and I would have to agree that they are outstanding tracks. I currently have a set of T51 tracks for the M4 Sherman that has 8 pieces per link! Most of the rest are very easy to do but there are some that are just a litle bit out there.

Rob
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I currently have a set of T51 tracks for the M4 Sherman that has 8 pieces per link! Most of the rest are very easy to do but there are some that are just a litle bit out there.

8 pieces per link? Do you have a scan or sth like that? I have only the normal three (link and two pins). I am am very curious, where they place 8 pieces on sch a tiny track link...

Violetrock
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 06:07 AM UTC
I don't but I can describe it. It has two long pins, an upper and lower track half, two end connectors and the retaining bolt (very tiny).

rob
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 06:13 AM UTC
I have used both Fruil and MK tracks, and i would say for teh larger tanks, the Tiger, Panther etc etc, the Fruil White Metal tracks are superior to the MK ones. But for the smaller vehicles, i would say the opposite is true. This is especially noticable on the Sdkfz 250/251 class of halftracks. The MK wokable tracks are a pleasure to work with, whereas the Fruil trakcs for this series of vehicles are way too fiddly and need a lot of work to them

Later
Hawkeye
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
I use both types of tracks quite regularly and I must say that the two are good for different things. The Fruil tracks are ideal for large tracks such as the Panther while the Modelkasten tracks are better suited for smaller tracks such as the Panzer 1.
They are both good but as Violetrock said, the Modelkasten tracks are usually cheaper and that, for many people, is the deciding factor.

Andrew

m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They are both good but as Violetrock said, the Modelkasten tracks are usually cheaper and that, for many people, is the deciding factor.

I must be shopping at the wrong stores then..I saw a PzIV MK set at the shop the other day for over $40! That's why I don't get them...tooo expensive!
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:39 AM UTC
The MK's are nice but the time to be careful with them is during the weathering stage. The MK tracks don't always take kindly to a wash, so if you plan to do this use the wash sparingly.

Mike
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have never done Fruile tracks, but I have done Modelkasten several times now and I would have to agree that they are outstanding tracks. I currently have a set of T51 tracks for the M4 Sherman that has 8 pieces per link! Most of the rest are very easy to do but there are some that are just a litle bit out there.

Rob

8 Pieces PER LINK??? #:-) Wow, I have been whining about the tracks on my M3 Stuart, and that only has 3 pieces per link. You are a brave man, my friend....

Scott
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:55 AM UTC
I just bought a set of Modelkasten tracks for Panther Late to be used in a Jagdpanther Late from Italeri. I will recieve them tomorrow and I canīt wait asking: did someone knows if they work well in the Italeri track wheels.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:34 AM UTC
Here is link to the tracks Vrock is talking about. Good hints on how to put them on, too. I may have to get a set. Sounds like more money flying out of the wallet...

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/modelkasten/sk-59.htm

_GOTOTOP