_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
Hobby Boss V-100/150 with Mecar Gun
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 09:26 AM UTC
So I ordered one of these BAd boys the other day and I was wondering who uses these cars?? Singapore, Malaysia, African Nations, South American? Anyone know? The kit looks pretty nice ...... MAYBE ICan finish it before going onto the next one.

Tanks alot,
Chris
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 06:04 AM UTC
I'm wondering about this one myself - all the references I've found indicate that the MECAR is fitted to the V-200, while the 90mm fitted to the V-100/150 is the older Cockerill 90mm (as used in Belgian Scimitars, etc. I'd dismiss it as Hobbyboss messing up their details if there wasn't a V-150 w Cockerill on the list of variants that they plan to release.

Full-ish list of users of the vehicle family - Bolivia, Botswana, Cameroon, Chad, Dominican Republic, Gabon, Guatemala, Haiti, Indonesia, Jamaica, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Somalia, Sudan, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Venezuela, Vietnam.

Note that's non-US users of *all variants*. However, you can use the box art to trim the list a bit - not many snow-capped mountains in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait, for example. Alas, my geography is lousy enough that I can't trim the list further with confidence.
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 04:19 AM UTC
I would think that Saudi Arabia would be the likely user, or Malaysia. I know Saudi Arabia had 90mm gun armed V-150s, but I'm not sure what the type of weapon was. They operated what was probably the most diverse fleet of V-150s (including the only ones fitted with the VADS turret). I believe the Malaysians also operated 90mm gun armed if this picture from wiki is any indication (which looks exactly like the picture caption in my copy of Jane's Armored Personnel Carriers as being a V-150 with the MECAR gun). What large gun armed vehicles the Singaporeans operated were almost undoubtedly V-200s.
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 439 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 11:32 AM UTC
The Saudi National Guard (SANG) had two mechanized brigades each equipped entirely with the V-150. Two different types of 90mm gun armed models were issued. One of the brigades got vehicles equipped with the low-velocity Mecar 90mm gun, the other got vehicles equipped with the medium-velocity Cockerill Mk III. Don't ask me why.

These brigades have now re-equipped with MOWAG LAV vehicles but one of the brigades did see action at the battle of Ras Al Khafji with the V-150. I can provide more details if anyone really wants them.
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 12:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

These brigades have now re-equipped with MOWAG LAV vehicles but one of the brigades did see action at the battle of Ras Al Khafji with the V-150. I can provide more details if anyone really wants them.

If you have more organizational details I'd be interested.
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 01:17 PM UTC
Many are also used by local police departments in the US (non-turret versions). Have fun with those markings.

There should be some footage from the first Gulf War with Middle East coalition forces using them.
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 02:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There had to be somebody. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 04:51 PM UTC
You right. Malaysian army used the V-150 with the 90mm mecar gun... most people are confused with either 90mm is mecar or cockerill as installed in our SIBMAS and Scorpions.

Our V-150s were operated by the 1st Armour Corps until the 80s when they were replaced by SIBMAS, Condor, KIVs and Adnans.

I got a few photos of low resolution and if u need a good walkround photos of an un preserved V-150 put on display at a waterpark resort (yes mate..waterpark..duh!!!), here's a link to it
Clicky
Photos are taken by a friend of mine.... dont realised how stupid it is putting an armour car in a water resort.... grrrrr
There are a few more put on displayed at various unexpected location i.e at the road side including the infamous unit which was RPGed by communist in the 80s.

rant off

Zaidi
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 11:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the photos Zaidi,
I'm sure they will be help to others building this kit.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the photos Zaidi,
I'm sure they will be help to others building this kit.

Not a problem Sir...
Glad to help out ...

i still waiting for the kit to reach LHS....
booked 2 of them.....

Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Saudi Army National Guard (SANG) initially fielded two motorized brigades in the late 1970's, primarily to provide internal security for the capitol and the eastern oil fields and to fight alongside the regular army in time of war. The SANG is not anything like the U.S. Army National Guard. It is a full-time military organization, recruited and organized along tribal lines and most of whose members are career soldiers. It is a parallel to the regular army and one of its jobs is to protect the ruling regime from the Army. It is the kind of military organization you really only find in authoritarian states. But I digress..

The two original motorized brigades (there are now at least 3 with plans for 5) were the Imama Mohammed Bin Saud (IMBSB) in Riyahd and the King Abdul Aziz (KAAB) brigades station in Al Hofuf, Eastern Province. KAAB was the only one of the two which took part in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm and was the main Saudi unit at the Battle of Ras Al Khafji Jan 29 to Feb 1, accompanied by two companies ot Qatari AMX-30 tanks and with U.S air support. 7th battalion was the main unit engaged. IMBSB was held in reserve protecting the capital. Each brigade was nearly identical in organization and equipment and consists of around 5,000 soldiers in 4 line battalions each. The IMBSB contains the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Combined Arms Battalions while the KAAB has the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th CAB's. Each brigade had an artillery battalion with the IMBSB using the U.S supplied M102 105mm howitzer and the KAAB using the M198 155mm weapon. Each brigade also had an air defense battery of four platoons of four V150 armored cars equipped with the Vulcan air defense turret. Each brigade also included a Support Battalion, HQ Company, Engineer Battalion and Signals.

Each battalion has 3 line companies and a HQ Company with Scout Platoon, Signals, Medical Platoon, Support Platoon, and Maintenance Platoon. The Motorized Company has an HQ, 3 Motor Infantry Platoons of 3 squads each riding in a V150 4x4 armored car armed with a 12.7mm M2HB machine gun on an M113-type open mount. The squads I believe consisted of 7 men armed with FN-FAL rifles, FN MAG machine guns, Carl Gustav and APILAS anti-tank weapons and British radios. The mortar platoon had 3 V150 vehicles each with an 81mm mortar, type not known to me but probably American M29. The company Anti-Armor Platoon in the IMBSB Brigade had 2 V150 with TOW I missile systems on an open pedestal mount and 3 V150 vehicles with 90mm Mecar guns. In the KAAB there are 6 TOW vehicles instead of 2 and the 90mm gun is the more powerful Cockerill Mk III. The HQ Section has one V150 with a 20mm Oerlikon gun in a 1-man turret. Fighting strength of the company then was 9 infantry squads each with a V150 and 12.7mm machine gun, 3 81mm mortars, 3 90mm guns, 2-6 TOW systems, 1 20mm gun and the weapons in the various supporting and command vehicles (total of 20x12.7mm machine guns).

These brigades started to re-equip in the 1990's with new vehicles based on the MOWAG LAV family which offer much greater cross-country mobility than the V150. The new vehicles come with a new "single-system" line company structure. The mortar and anti-tank platoons have been deleted and each line company will be equipped just with the LAV-25 infantry fighting vehicle. An anti-armor company with TOW armed LAV's has been added as well as an assault gun company whose LAV's I believe are armed with new 90mm guns (type I do not know). Mortars are now concentrated at battalion with a platoon of 6 turret mounted 120mm mortars on the LAV vehicle. The combined arms company apparently proved too cumbersome to control in combat, particularly the company mortar platoons.
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 09:10 AM UTC
Thanks for that, I appreciate you taking the time to write it all out.
hoplocat
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 08:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would think that Saudi Arabia would be the likely user, or Malaysia. I know Saudi Arabia had 90mm gun armed V-150s, but I'm not sure what the type of weapon was. They operated what was probably the most diverse fleet of V-150s (including the only ones fitted with the VADS turret). I believe the Malaysians also operated 90mm gun armed if this picture from wiki is any indication (which looks exactly like the picture caption in my copy of Jane's Armored Personnel Carriers as being a V-150 with the MECAR gun). What large gun armed vehicles the Singaporeans operated were almost undoubtedly V-200s.

As far as I've seen and recalled, Singapore does not operate any large gun version and only V200s. Variants include 20mm cannon, RBS70 AA missle.,120mm mortar. Mostly for anti aircraft and base security.
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:32 AM UTC
While Singapore might not now, their original buy included some with the 90mm MECAR gun.

This is noted in the SIPRI trade register for Singapore and my copy of Jane's Armored Personnel Carriers. While not authoritative sources, this is also mentioned here.
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC
Mark, I would also like to extend thanks for digging up and posting all that information. I rarely build modern armor, but the second I saw the Hobby Boss V-150s I wanted one.

-Doug
Removed by original poster on 04/12/09 - 02:14:40 (GMT).
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 03:16 PM UTC
THE USAF security police ,used v100s for base security.we had 3 of them in Da Nang air base along with 1 m113
VonArnim
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hi Mark ,
Any chance you have any pics of the Saudi Arabian V-150's with the 90mm Cockerill gun ?

Thanks for any help .

regards
JOEY
 _GOTOTOP