_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Match for Israeli armour green
skeletondude
Visit this Community
Jogeva, Estonia
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 08:04 AM UTC
Since I got the Academy Merkava III kit for a pretty good price, I thought I'd build it.
I have one question though, what would be the closest match for the green seen on Israeli armour, without mixing?
I was thinking maybe Tamiya's NATO green?

Thanks,
Marek
skeletondude
Visit this Community
Jogeva, Estonia
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 08:22 AM UTC
Well, guess I just got smarter...
But what colour would be the closest match to it?
Or could I just use desert yellow instead?
Barthass
Visit this Community
Poznaz, Poland
KitMaker: 85 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 08:32 AM UTC
The most appropriate color (if You don't want to mix paints) is Humbrol H84.
Academy Merkava 3- this is very poor and inaccurate kit
skeletondude
Visit this Community
Jogeva, Estonia
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 08:48 AM UTC
But, another burning question remains, would my model be correct, if I would use desert yellow, because I have seen some pictures of Merkava III's in that colour, but I just want to make sure.
guido
Visit this Community
Siracusa, Italy
KitMaker: 437 posts
Armorama: 437 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 09:09 AM UTC
No Marek, Bartek told you eveything is important for your tank. There is no green or sand tone in IDF. Humbrol 84 if you want an enamel, Lifecolour UA 035 if you like acrylic.
Photos you looked at, are often misrepresented.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:44 AM UTC
Testor's SAC Bomber Tan is a very good match.
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 442 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 04:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Desert Yellow is not a greyish color. Lifecolor UA035 is a good match. Ther are some IDF model sites that have the mix with Tamiya colors, no I don't remeber the links to these sites.

Here's one of the aforementioned links: http://idfmodelling.free.fr/article01.html
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 05:07 PM UTC
Just my two bits but why not try Model Master Israeli Armor Sand/grey. It's an enamel, number 2138. As someone mentioned, depending on the lighting it can have a somewhat greenish hue to it. I used it on a 1/72 Merkava 2 and was quite happy with the result.

Cheers,
Jan
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Testor's SAC Bomber Tan is a very good match.

Ok, if it works for you, but in my opinion it's way to green. The IDF color is not green.

In the opinion of an admittedly small customer base, in Israel, the color is almost spot on, albeit a tad light, which works out quite well due to scale effect. SAC Bomber Tan does indeed have a bit of a greenish hue (not too green, by the way, just a little) to it, and under the "lighting conditions" you speak of, the Mk III looked to me to have the same hue. Not the photo, the actual tank. Your experiences of course may have been a different.
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 08:14 AM UTC
We know that some IDF armour should look greenish, but all that is due to the weather conditions and/or low quality pictures, the most appropiate color for IDF armor is IMO, the Humbrol 84, but if you're talking about GREEN, there are M577 Mugaf painted in green, those Mugaf are usually accompanying IDF MLRSs (command), and the shade of green is the Humbrol 30, according to a French site. Hope this helps. Best regards.

José
guido
Visit this Community
Siracusa, Italy
KitMaker: 437 posts
Armorama: 437 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Read thru the 4 pages of this thread. Since M. Mass is the curator of the IDF armor museum and decorated IDF armor officer, he might know a thing or two. Maybe he can help dismiss this green myth idea.

http://idf-in-scale.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=240&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

That's right.

mikeo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 323 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 12:09 PM UTC
Ok, one more time. The color the IDF uses is a greyish color that looks different under different lighting conditions.

Does the paint change color in different light by design? (Camo?) Or is it a side effect of another property of the paint?

Just for the sake of argument though, I've seen pictures of their tanks that looked full-on green. Couldn't a person paint theirs to look like an IDF tank in that particular light?
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 12:34 PM UTC
Maybe this site can help.

http://idfmodelling.free.fr/article01.html
mikeo
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 07:04 AM UTC
Purple with pink polka dots? I don't think it would look like that unless you got boinked on the head first.
Personally, I would try for IDF Sand Gray (or one of the ones listed above) I'm just facinated by paint that shows such a wide variation in apparent color. I do not know of other military paints that do this. Usually there just seems to be a shift in shade (lighter - darker) not color (gray to green)
mikeo
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:08 AM UTC

As for color let me tell you this the Merkava III featured on Israeli armor is the prototype built in the 1990's and was in fact painted that dark green....
...Since this Academy kit closely resembles the prototype it is feasible to paint it this green color as this what it was painted as a non operational color straight from the factory in Haifa. It was this color for unknown reasons. This is not a light affect, the photographs are pretty accurate for colour, for instance I know that is Israeli earth, I know the black, and I know track color.

If you are building a Merkava as a combat unit armored corps vehicle then a sandy karkhi is abetter color to use.

I hope this helps you.[/quote]

So much for that discussion.
 _GOTOTOP