_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
ALERT
It's That Time of Year Again..
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

I would like to second the praise to MRC/Academy for taking on the Lee/Grant bogie issue. That was an exceptional example of customer service.

All the manufacturers should be reminded to take more time with their instructions. Newer modelers constantly mention this as a source of frustration and disappointment.

Along the same lines, all manufacturers should be encouraged to make their instructions available online, through their respective websites. This will allow individuals with missing instructions to quickly find what they need. Further, if a problem in the instructions becomes apparent, manufacturers should post corrected instructions and notify sites like Armorama to get the word out. This will save a great deal of grief and increase goodwill.

The individual versus band track issue comes up quite often. There will never be consensus on this issue, so encourage all manufacturers to include BOTH. This will increase the cost per kit, but snuff all the negative comments on both sides of the isle. This becomes especially important for unusual vehicles where no after-market solutions exist.

If a manufacturer fixes a problem in a kit by swapping in a revised sprue, please change the kit number or make some indication of this fact so that customers can figure out which issue they are buying. For older versions of a kit, please make revised parts available at cost. (What Academy did was superlative, but I think replacement at cost is reasonable.)

I would be really nice if manufacturers would call out the source photo(s) for decal schemes in their instructions--book x, page y. This would make it a lot easier to verify markings and get the details right.

Good luck on your mission and have fun!

-Doug
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC
Oh, phew. I thought this thread was about something like a girlfriends birthday or valentines day. That was a close one.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 08:51 AM UTC
Just a couple of points..

For companies like Trumpeter and HobbyBoss which are coming out with a lot of modern vehicles, which is great and I hope they continue with it, why don't they supply enough modern figures to man those vehicles?

Trumpeter will be releasing the M198 155mm Howitzer but they are not realeasing any of the vehicles that tow it. So my comment is... it would be nice to have the movers for any field guns that are released.

That's it. I'm otherwise happy with all the modern stuff coming out. And Trumpeter and HobbyBoss particularly should be applauded for filling a lot of voids in that area.

Also, please commend Miniart on both their figures and buildings.. and Masterbox on their figures. Too bad they are not into post WWII stuff

Have a nice trip

Hisham
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC
I don't know if this is bordering on the wish list but I'd like to know when manufacturers like Dragon and Tamiya are going to start taking World War 1 armour seriously.
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 09:23 AM UTC
If you could please find out how serious AFV Club and Italeri are about moving into 1/48 armor, and thank them for their efforts. (some good late-war Shermans would be nice

Have a good trip, be safe!
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 396 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 09:29 AM UTC
Jim, have a good productive trip. Keep reminding those companies that this forum reviews a variety of kit subjects. We know good from bad kits. I would think they would listen to coments here to better themselves in the market. Some companies do not have a very good track record for customer complaints. I look forward to your report.
Joe
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:34 AM UTC
I'll add my request to thank Academy for stepping up and fixing the suspension on the Lee/Grant. And thanks to Dragon for making advances in the Pacific. I just hope it is the start of a new trend. I don't care about anyone making announcements for any kit unless the release is going to actually take place. I am curious to know how the recession/depression will affect the industry, and what products will be cut back/discontinued, and if it will reduce the number of new releases. Have a nice time.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jim,

I would like to second the praise to MRC/Academy for taking on the Lee/Grant bogie issue. That was an exceptional example of customer service.

All the manufacturers should be reminded to take more time with their instructions. Newer modelers constantly mention this as a source of frustration and disappointment.

Along the same lines, all manufacturers should be encouraged to make their instructions available online, through their respective websites. This will allow individuals with missing instructions to quickly find what they need. Further, if a problem in the instructions becomes apparent, manufacturers should post corrected instructions and notify sites like Armorama to get the word out. This will save a great deal of grief and increase goodwill.

The individual versus band track issue comes up quite often. There will never be consensus on this issue, so encourage all manufacturers to include BOTH. This will increase the cost per kit, but snuff all the negative comments on both sides of the isle. This becomes especially important for unusual vehicles where no after-market solutions exist.

If a manufacturer fixes a problem in a kit by swapping in a revised sprue, please change the kit number or make some indication of this fact so that customers can figure out which issue they are buying. For older versions of a kit, please make revised parts available at cost. (What Academy did was superlative, but I think replacement at cost is reasonable.)

I would be really nice if manufacturers would call out the source photo(s) for decal schemes in their instructions--book x, page y. This would make it a lot easier to verify markings and get the details right.

Good luck on your mission and have fun!

-Doug

Most Excellant Suggestion!!! Nice one Doug!
Rick
iamsu7
Vendor
TRUMPETER
Visit this Community
Anhui, China / 简体
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:41 PM UTC
Dear Hisham:
The M1083 can tow M198. next step ,we will release them like this two

Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 01:17 PM UTC
Thank you, GAOYUE... this is great news.

These two trucks look just great.

Two thumbs up to Trumpeter!!

Hisham
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 03:09 PM UTC
Gao
This is truly outstanding news my man
Since they are prototype when are you going to release them ??/
Cheers
Seb
chevalier
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 04:00 PM UTC
I'd be interested in seeing their (the industry, i.e. the manufacturers) response to the downturn of the global economy. Afterall, to the consumer, this is a hobby therefore, expendable or discresionary income. Will they scale back in offerings? Streamline kits to bare bones offerings to save costs? Expand smaller scale offerings and cut back on larger scale items? New production methods? What is the outlook of the future of many of these companies? Consolidation, failure and bankruptcy, buyouts, offshore sourcing and manufacture (there has to be something made on mainland europe and the US, it can't all be made in Asia and the Pacific ) Reponse to trade tariffs and protectionism? Effect of trademark, licensing, and intelectual property law changes and updates? Will there be a continuing consolidation of wholesalers and importers? What do they see as the next step in production offerings and subjects?

Thanks,
Have fun.
iamsu7
Vendor
TRUMPETER
Visit this Community
Anhui, China / 简体
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gao
This is truly outstanding news my man
Since they are prototype when are you going to release them ??/
Cheers
Seb

M1078 release at 2009/02, this two will release during 2009
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 08:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you happens to snoop around at the Revell booth, please give my compliments on there courage to market a 1:72 Gato and a 1:144 Fletcher - and maybe inquire it they have plans on new 1:72 submarine kits.

If you see anyone from Bronco - please say "1:16 panther g" to them

Have a nice and safe trip

Cheers/Jan

or a Fletcher in 1/72 to chase those japanese submarines from Lindberg ........
;-)
/ Robin
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On Friday, I fly out to Nuremberg for the 60th Spielwerrenmesse (Toy Fair).

So, if you've anything you'd like me to communicate, the door is open

Ok Jim - I have a few for DML

1. Please lose our imbecilic friend and anti PR hero the Blogger Hiroshi. It does them no favours
2. Please put a little thought into Sherman Marking options. By this I don't mean picking up Concord titles opening at a colour plate page and doing the first two they see (i.e. The new M4, US DV, PTO M4A2, M4A3 76 Premium etc). They do there wonderful Shermans a huge disservice by just doing this.
For instance the Sherman III kit should have had a range of markings from French , NZ, Polish, Brit & USSR to appeal to a greater range of modellers. A good case in point is the latest Beutpanzer M4A2 which could at the very least been supplied with Russian Markings for very little effort.
The New M4 is a good case considering it was the backbone of US Armour in early Normandy and most of 44. Two markinbg options is pretty week and reeks of 2nd class treatment of allied modellers. Why go to all the ffort of what appears to be a great kit and only giving 2 marking options?

Positive Feedback

DML - your Sherman family is superb and the Tracks are to be appluaded

Bronco - Subject Choice is great - please keep up the brit & Allied Stuff

Mini Art - Ditto above

MB - Ditto Above

Academy - Appreciated the Bogey thing even if our distributor didn't

Trumpeter - Like your imagination and modern stuff - thank you

Hobby Boss - Welcome to the bigtime and great imaginative releases, please keep it up

Rant over

Al
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:26 PM UTC
Hi Jim

Have an enjoyable trip.

In your chatting with various companies could you ask Trumpeter if they have any plans to downscale the great Tiger II with interior from 1/16th scale to 1/35. Whilst I realise there is a a cost involved with moulds etc. the research and drawing work has already been done and it would certainly go down well with the fans of that tank and that scale in general. Not all of us can afford the 1/16th's price tag or space it takes up.

I think looking back over the last year since the previous show we've had a great year of releases from all the companies involved in our hobby. Probably more releases than we have time to make in reality, but anyway thank them all on behalf of us modellers especially the slightly smaller players who've shown some creative imagination with their subject matter - you know the ones I mean so no need to list them.

I think as others have mentioned, and in this economical climate especially, they need to be aware that rising kit costs are of real concern to us.

Safe journey.

Alan
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear Hisham:
The M1083 can tow M198. next step ,we will release them like this two

Nice stuff there Gaoyue are you going to release a 6x6 with the normal cab or 6x6 with the armoured cab??
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 03:52 AM UTC
What do I want to see?

Engine compartments. While the fighting interior is cool, I don't keep my tanks in pieces to look at the interior. But popping hatches for a repair or service dio option would be great, and I suspect much easier to craft in styrene.

Also, more PE options in kits. The Trumpy Sd.Kfz. 7 didn't need an AM upgrade from Voyager or ABER because it comes pretty much finihsed OOB.

And NO MORE RUBBER BAND TRACKS!!!!!

That's a reversion to 30 years ago.
iamsu7
Vendor
TRUMPETER
Visit this Community
Anhui, China / 简体
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 12:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice stuff there Gaoyue are you going to release a 6x6 with the normal cab or 6x6 with the armoured cab??

SURE,BOTH normal cab M1083 and M1082,M1095.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 02:44 PM UTC
Gao
You are just killing me with these announcements,
Now they will be around 80 euros each or around going to reduce the prize of these vehicle???

cheers
Seb
jccraemer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 02:58 PM UTC
Anything on airborne miniatures 120mm figures new releases and such. Thanks for the effort and time you all put into it and have a safe trip
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:25 PM UTC
Jim, have a safe trip.

I'll be looking forward to hear how Master Box Ltd. are faring with their Japanese/Marine "Bloody Atoll" kits.

I know you haven't forgotten but it will be interesting to hear more on MB's consideration of the Australian infantry appeal.

Good luck,
Chas
Canjuaan
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 02:48 PM UTC
Hi there,

I hope it's not too late for my suggestions on what to tell / ask some manufacturers, as the fair has opened by now and Jim probably isn't reading this. Anyway, here's my list. Much has been said, already. But one never knows

1.) DML: Smart Kits, why no Smart Instructions, then?! Any questions?
2.) TRU / REVELL (or any other manufacturer, but I think these two are the most likely candidates): More modern Bundeswehr 1/35th vehicles (Dingo, Fennek, Mungo, Bv 206...)
3.) ABER: What happened to the announced basic update set for DML's Flak 88 (see here, #35183)?
4.) TRU: When will the new Bundeswehr and USMC figures be released?

Thanks in advance!
Jupiterblitz
KitMaker: 885 posts
Armorama: 796 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 - 08:56 PM UTC
"3. To Revell: If they issue their new Jagdpanzer annonced, will Revell finally erase the big mistakes of the recent kit like the inacceptable tracks, commander cupola etc?"

They do not!

BW-Jagdpanzer at primeportal.net

Meine Güte Revell...
 _GOTOTOP