new campaign suggestion
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 10:14 AM UTC
So is this "Twilight 2000 Campaign" going to happen?????

I've gotr TONS of ideas.....not to mention donor Models to use for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 02:46 PM UTC
Damn...The Red Dawn Campaign sounds great too!

The NG at the 7-11...endless fictional scenarios come to mind! Image OIF in your neighborhood, with a different cast of bad guys. Battle of the Shopping Mall? Spooky to comtemplate, but very interesting.

Both Twilight 2000 and RD lend themeselves to a very interesting, fictional (thank God) view of a very different world!

I'll sign up for either one of them...of course I have to finish my Mutt up here SOON!

Jim
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 03:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I had planned on a M113 with a LAV turret labeled a M115A1.

Isn't that called the 'Bradley' heh,heh,heh.

#:-)
Savage
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 03:23 PM UTC
But Seriously ‘Turncoats’ campaign sounds Great. There are so many countries that used and are using captured vehicles. Such as:

British captured Panther
IDF captured T-55 T-62 etc
Almost every country in Africa uses captured T-55
German captured Bren carrier with panzerfausts
German captured T-34 flakpanzer

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 06:59 PM UTC
GunTruck: So basically, the "rule" is "Don't get too carried away" then?

Re:Red Dawn "campaign": I reckon this be more appropriate for dioramas?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

GunTruck: So basically, the "rule" is "Don't get too carried away" then?

Well - I'd rather say "keep it believable"! I think you could really get wild and keep it within the realm of possibility - reference Sabot's efforts to mate the Gunslinger Turret (Sgt. York) to the Abrams chassis...

Quoted Text

Re:Red Dawn "campaign": I reckon this be more appropriate for dioramas?

Actually, I see RD the same as T2000 - a lot of different subjects could be included in the campaign for modelers interested in helicopters, aircraft, automobiles (gasp) and military vehicles. I believe RD was set in the early to mid-80's - so that timeperiod would be the factor in subjects selected.

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But Seriously ‘Turncoats’ campaign sounds Great. There are so many countries that used and are using captured vehicles. Such as:

British captured Panther
IDF captured T-55 T-62 etc
Almost every country in Africa uses captured T-55
German captured Bren carrier with panzerfausts
German captured T-34 flakpanzer

I like this idea too! Now guys - there's three great suggestions here. What/when/how long would you think they should run? All three is a year's worth of modeling all by itself. If you hang out here at Armorama long enough, you can't help but finish at least one model...

Gunnie
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 08:04 AM UTC
Hmmmmm...choices eh?

First choice for me would be Twilight 2000, you can do almost anything you would have done in the Red Dawn scenario under the guise of Twilight 2000. based on my recollections of the game manuals (I bought 'em years ago, just for the pictures of fictional armor...and have been looking for them all over the house for a year or so now). If I remember right there were various pieces of equipment from the "bad guys" (Warsaw Pact, etc) weren't there?

It seems Twilight 2000 would allow anything from a Sherman to a M1 hybrid to a T80 to a T55/TOW launcher to a car to a whatever. Some sort of guidelines to keep the Hovercraft, UFOs, etc out of the mix would be needed, me thinks!

If imagination (within reason) is the goal, then Twilight 2000 is the choice.

As to timing of the Campaigns...Twilight 2000 First, then if a Red Dawn one is in the pipeline it would be my second choice! The rest of the details are best left to you guys who have a better handle on all of this!

Jim

(damn mental gears are turning like mad already on this one...)
Savage
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 09:13 AM UTC
Twilight 2000 sounds great as well. There are a lot of Tank Technology Demonstrator (TTD) and prototypes out there that look more like Science Fiction creations than anything else.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 09:24 AM UTC
We had a special award at a local contest similar to the "turn coat" idea. We called it "Under New Management". I built a German T34 of course. It was a really fun build.

Patrick
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 08:54 PM UTC
T2000 first please? Besides, this was suggested earlier. Also, I'm just *dying* to up-armor, up-gun, up-everything the M1A2 Abrams (for the T2000 campaign, here's a sneak peek at what I'm planning: Take Dragon's M1A2, replace the gun with Revell's PzH2000 155mm gun, scratchbuild a muzzle - it'll look like the 120mm muzzle on the Teledyne AGS proposal -, use the Challenger I's up-armored skirts, add passive armor on the hull front, turret front and turret roof with armor panels for the side rails and rear hull/turret, a mine plow - because tanks with mine plows and dozer blades are just so damn cool looking - add a .50-cal gun on the gun mantlet ala Merkava, and perhaps a TOW missile launcher on the loader's position). Heck, it's an extreme Abrams (M1A3 with AHAP - Additional Heavy Armor Package; the A3 because of the 155mm gun)! Question is though, is it realistic enough? After all, there was talk of upgunning the Abrams with a 140mm gun, perhaps up-armored skirts due to experience in the recently concluded war...

Oh please oh please oh please make T2000 first! I'm willing to wait for January 2004 for this one (barring end of the world predictions, disasters, models being sold for funds, etc.)
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 02:34 AM UTC
I wasn't trying to say that the only captured vehicles were Allied ones used by Germans, just that because the vast majority of armor modelers favor the Germans and therefore would build Allied vehicles in use by the Germans. If the turncoats campaign does go off, I will do the opposite and build a German vehicle under the management of Soviet forces.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 03:15 AM UTC
I propose the Twilight 2000 campaign, and then the RED DAWN campaign.

T2000 could be whatever you want...think modern dungeons and dragons...ie, if you want what Gennady was talking about, M1A3, and it seems feasable, why not? Something a little farfetched would be a "railgun" like the Leopold but with a hovercraft suspension. The gist was to be creative with what was available or on the cutting edge.

RD - I was thinking of just setting a date of say, October 1984...anyhting in use at the time could be modeled, BMD's in the Rockies, T-80's up from Mexico or south from Alaska...even something from the china/russian conflict that was mentioned. Do we HAVE to include airplane guys? The main difference from the T2000 campaign is that it would use current equipment with too many changes...maybe different cammo, but no lasers or anything like that.

as for turncoats, I think the main reason that everyone fears yet another german onslaught is that aside from the Isreali's, the German's were very good at using others equip, especially vehicles. There are many modern ideas too, like all the vehicle swapping in Africa even today, but it is a little limited as you would not have a M26 in N. Korean hands, or even a AH-64D in Iraqi use...it has just been captured equipment. Maybe a M109 from Iran used by Iraq...etc.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 03:50 AM UTC
I catching a sense that the Twilight 2000 Campaign would likely be more popular as the next one after the Barbarossa Campaign.

"Red Dawn" and "Under New Management" comes in close to equal popularity, and are nearly the same in scope. Do you think it feasible to run them both at the same time - since about half interested would participate in one or the other?

My thoughts are launching Twilight 2000 Campaign on October 1 and running it through December 15. Then, perhaps, Red Dawn and Under New Managment 15 January through March 31, 2004.

What do you guys think?

Gunnie
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 03:57 AM UTC
I still have my Twilight 2000 game from being a teen and the armour manuels.
Sounds like a cool idea guys.

Regards
Paul
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2003 - 05:52 PM UTC
Gunny,

I think the timing you propose for the RD & Turncoat campaigns after the Twilight 2000 is perfect...and I have a TON of ideas for RD as well as Twilight 2000.

Put me down for RD.

Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunny,

I think the timing you propose for the RD & Turncoat campaigns after the Twilight 2000 is perfect...and I have a TON of ideas for RD as well as Twilight 2000.

Put me down for RD.

Jim

I'll update the Campaign Docket today - and don't lose all those ideas!

Gunnie
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 03:46 AM UTC
Ideas are inthe pot and cooking.

If you need a leader for the Red Dawn campaign, I am game. I just bought the DVD...if for no other reason than for a good laugh!

Wolverines!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ideas are inthe pot and cooking.

If you need a leader for the Red Dawn campaign, I am game. I just bought the DVD...if for no other reason than for a good laugh!

Wolverines!

ABSOLUTELY - and thanks for volunteering to lead the Wolverines!

Gunnie :-)
 _GOTOTOP