Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M1078 Trumpeter WIP
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 01:12 PM UTC
Dear all
Sure next step is the SF mother ship

I gonna correct the boxes displaying them on a pallet representing an open one half empty.
Thanks
Seb
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 06:45 AM UTC
I recently acquired this kit & the Trump's M-198 towed howitzer & I'm wondering if they would go well together? I mean i'm planning to build it being towed by this truck. I may also have to wait for the time when I can acquire some of the AM parts that would correct some of the minor deficiency of this kit. Anyways, this was a very informative review, Seb & a very nice build there too.
gogs007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 313 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 08:16 AM UTC
your model looks amazing, can you tell me what you used for the cling film. One thing though the pallets should be restrained down with webbing straps.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 08:58 AM UTC
@ Alex thanks for you comment
I do believe that the LMVT truck the 6*6 can be use as prime mover, there is a comment about that on the review of the M198.
@Gog, yeap I gonna add ratchet strap concerning the film, this is only the kitchen plastic film ask your Mom or Wife , Really easy to use and really realistic.
Cheers
Seb
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
Damn Sorry Bill
i didnot answer the question concerning the SF mother ship.

Most work will be on the cabin so i start with it:

1- Cabin
you need to open the cab remove the door and try to work on better seat. You need to remove the third rear seat. You need to glue a piece of styrene to add the Sincgars and other radio. on the rear of the seats.
You need to scratch the antenna mount especially the X wing one.
The Pro Art model come with a nice set of modern com set this is a must have.
You need to build the secondary weapon in front of the passenger set.
You need to glue a small piece of styrene in the front of the cabin for the jerrycan.

2- Flat bed
You dont need to attached the walls, you need to scratch a complete jerrycans racks all around the flat bed.
You need to build a primary weapon mount
Finally you need to duplicate 2 spares wheels and glue them onto plastic tube.
Seats on the flat bed, well there is not rule here i found ref pics with difference location and number.

Form more info please check my build on the SF M1078
HTH
Cheers
Seb

henkp
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,080 posts
Armorama: 1,064 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 02:09 AM UTC
Gear included, 2 spare tires, 35 plastic US pattern fuel cans, 10 plastic jerry cans, 2 stretchers, 8 large MRE boxes, 2 crew seats for vehicle bed, .50 cal mg, .50 cal. Mount and 40mm pattern ammo can, 10 .50 cal. Ammo cans,
10-5.56/7.62 ammo cans, 1 medical ruck, 4 late pattern US rucks, 2 sat com. Boxes and one “lap top”, 2 “X” antennas, radio set, 1 M-249 SAW w/mount and ammo can rack.
this is from AEF site its for a m-1078 ( ka-11 us m-1078 lmtv lrrp oif) its cost $45.00 i hope you like it gr.henk
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 02:59 AM UTC
Thanks Henk
There is no pics of this set on AEF design
And more there is no update of the cabin,
But I dont want to comment until I will have my hand on the kit
Wait and see
Cheers
Seb
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 10:48 AM UTC
Looks pretty good. I just submitted an in-box review on this kit last night. It should be up soon.

A couple pointers on the build. I agree on the loose boxes, they look too light. The palletized ones look good though. The position marker lights on the cab and rear are over-painted though. The only portion that is a light is the small, half-round lens in the center. The rest of the light housing is the body color, sand in this case. The rear reflectors look orange too, they should be red, just as the rear position markers should be. You can see the position lights below.

This one happens to be the same truck the kit decals make in the NATO camo scheme.

The clean parts on the windshield are too small too. They should be the length of the wipers in an arc, which will almost go to the top of the windshield. Lastly, your side mirror support bars are upside down. The should be reversed so the vertical bars are at a 90 degree angle to the ground.

You cold also paint the air line gladhands. On in-service vehicles, they are painted to indicate the service air line and emergency air line. The service line is on the right while looking at the gladhands and is painted blue. The emergency air line is on the left and is painted red.

A good job overall. A few tweaks and it will be great. Keep up the good work.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 02:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks pretty good. I just submitted the in-box review on this kit last night. It should be up soon.

A couple pointers on the build. I agree on the loose boxes, they look too light. The palletized ones look good though. The position marker lights on the cab and rear are over-painted though. The only portion that is a light is the small, half-round lens in the center. The rest of the light housing is the body color, sand in this case. The rear reflectors look orange too, they should be red, just as the rear position markers should be. You can see the position lights below.

The clean parts on the windshield are too small too. They should be the length of the wipers in an arc, which will almost go to the top of the windshield. Lastly, your side mirror support bars are upside down. The should be reversed so the vertical bars are at a 90 degree angle to the ground.

You cold also paint the air line gladhands. On in-service vehicles, they are painted to indicate the service air line and emergency air line. The service line is on the right while looking at the gladhands and is painted blue. The emergency air line is on the left and is painted red.

A good job overall. A few tweaks and it will be great. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Gino, i gonna remove the dust from the windshield and reply again.
Concerning mirror bar support thanks because the instruction are not really clear on that.
I will paint the airline at the front and also the rear and correct the marker light.

Clean up the mess on the flat bed and hopefully submit for a MOD ??
Cheers
Seb
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 02:51 PM UTC
Good deal Seb. Can't wait to see it updated.

Quoted Text

I recently acquired this kit & the Trump's M-198 towed howitzer & I'm wondering if they would go well together? I mean i'm planning to build it being towed by this truck.

No, the M198 is too heavy for the M1078 LMTV, which has a 2.5 ton capacity. The M198 is pulled by the 5 ton M1083 FMTV or the older M900 series 5-ton in the US Army. The USMC uses either the M900 series 5 ton or their 7 ton Oshkosh truck.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 03:06 PM UTC
Seb, Nice work! I really like these newer trumpter kits - light years ahead of their early stuff!
Thanks for sharing!

Chris
Firecaptain
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 02:35 PM UTC
Just got my Trumpy M1078 and I noticed that the clevis pins in the shackels actually have a hole in them!
It is soooooo small, but it's there!
This is a really nice kit.......plenty of parts!
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 03:38 PM UTC
Enjoy the build Joe
Cheers
Seb
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 02:18 PM UTC
With the correction from Gino
it is missing the mirror and the handle from the strap, i also add the strap for the spare wheel.
I correct all the small light paint around the frame also the airlines with the small color squares (red and blue front and rear) you need to paint it and the glue the small plastic part after note for the future builder.
I am working on the third pallet.
I also correct the whipper traces.
Comments welcome

still missing the handle

Sorry for the pics I will try to take better one this week end if it not rainning
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 02:25 PM UTC
Looking much better. Good job on it.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 02:58 PM UTC
Hi Seb

Those pallets look well packed now. What did you do to the boxes to make them sit better? It looks like you nailed it this time. If you can get a set of PE ratchet straps this will really make the load restraints look much better as the kit has those fantastic looking hooks on the sides.

Unless you are showing the truck being gradually unloaded it would be wise to check out how the restraints are fitted as there is a pattern that truck drivers use to stop the loads shifting when the truck brakes, accellerates and turns. Each time the load is alterred , added or reduced, the straps should (note the word should) be placed so that the straps work for the load while on the move.

The pallets are normally loaded stacked close together and strapped across the top as you have it, side to side.

A strap from the middle to the front and up around the front of the pallets then back to a point matching the other side of the truck.

And a strap from the middle to the back and up around the back of the pallets then forward again to a point matching the other side of the truck.

Does the load bay have tie down shackles layed in to the floor surface as these would be the preferred point to attach the restraint straps to.

The ratchet tightener would be about two thirds way in and you have the hook each end.

Worth looking at the ratchet straps if you can as that load looks great.

All the best

Nige
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 03:34 PM UTC
Wow

That really turned out well. Looks like the ones I passed everyday on my way to work in Iraq.

Very Impressive
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 04:18 PM UTC
Thanks Gino
@ Nige
i gonna depict a truck that will be unloaded with a pallet open but it is unreal since the flatbed cannot be open.
may be a dio but I have to figure out a simple scheme and a small dio, I am moving very often lately

@ Cody
From an ex-serviceman in Iraq, I am really touch by your kind work
Cheers
Seb
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 12:42 AM UTC
Hi Seb

If the grunts are distributing water to the locals in a "Hearts and Minds" kind of role you could get away with the grunts handing boxes down or individual bottles to waiting civies crowded round the back or sides even though the sides are kept up.

Maybe a couple of grunts posed with weapons on guard and trying to keep the civies in order and from fighting to get much needed water.

All the best

Nige

seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 03:03 AM UTC
Nige
This is a great dio idea thanks for sharing
I have to figure out the set for the Grunts and Civies
But thanks for the input
Cheers
Seb
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 03:47 AM UTC
Really nice work Seb, I like the water crates, how did you do the film to wrap them up?
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 04:36 PM UTC
Dear All
I just receive from Lawrence Goh from echelon decals, a set of Mirror for the M1078 and generally for the all LMTV trucks.
I scan the mirror so it appear black but it is highly reflective materials as usual with the Echelon mirror.

enjoy
Seb

jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 10:23 PM UTC
Nice work, I really like the pallet loads, but where did you get the wodden pallets?
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:47 PM UTC
The wooden pallet are home made with wood sticks from Starbuck coffee
Cheers
Seb
shneezbert
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 06:56 AM UTC
Seb,
Great build, just got done doing one for IPMS. What I did notice was that there are two sets of marker lights for the LMTV on the cab. The tri-camo has the ones in the box and the desert camo has a simple rectangle amber cover. I'm thinking that cutting up some clear sprue to shape would solve that problem, what do you think, overall I thought this kit was great.