_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
MW UAZ-469... should I take it?
Mees76
Visit this Community
Brazil
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 04:49 AM UTC
Well, the title says it all... should I take Military Wheels (MW) UAZ-469 kit? I believe itīs the only kit of this vehicle available.
In this build-up article ( http://www.mimory.com/models/uaz469_inpr.html ) it appears to be "fairly" basic , but looks OK when finished.
I even thought about using a Trumpeter BJ212 to accurize it, but it appears that these vehicles havenīt so much in common as I initially thought.

Thanks,
Mees76
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 05:08 AM UTC
You can take a look at the kit sprues HERE if need be...

HTH
Frenchy
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC
I've built one, and have another half finished. If you can, find out if you have an early or later release. The later versions have two piece plastic tires which are better than the original issue. It's a not a bad little kit. For some reason, the body on mine is molded green and the doors are molded in black, and do not fit well at all without a little filing. Other than`that it goes together pretty well. The only addition is a bit of diamond PE mesh behind the grill.
Are you building any particular version? I can send you photos of them in use by my unit in Afghanistan, and also some of the Iraqi ones on our COP with PK's mounted in back. I've also got some engine shots if you want.

By the way, still waiting for you to PM me your address so I can`send you those NVA decal sets.
Mees76
Visit this Community
Brazil
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 04:35 PM UTC
Thanks for the information!

P.S: @ 18Bravo: thereīs a PM for you...
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:05 PM UTC
I guess it depends, the one I started months ago, and have worked on and off, mostly off, due to a lot of fit problems. As already pointed out the door fit sucks, but my hood left a wide gap along the sides bottom edge that needed to be built up. The guy on the link did some nice extra detailing. Maybe one of these days I'll un-box mine and finish it.

I've been using the Kagero top-shot book for reference, and a few added details. I'll try to post a few photos of my progress later tonight after work.

18Bravo, I would certainly appreciate a few photos also.... PM sent with email address.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 01:52 PM UTC
Well, as promised, here are a few shots of one I started a while back,
The wheels are just place on.

Did a little on the door panels, per the Kagero book

Interior details so far

God only knows when I'll finish it, along with about 30 other projects.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 02:35 PM UTC
Dave, looks like you're off to a good start. However, the diamond mesh behind the grill should run horizontally, not vertically. Here's a shot of the PK mount's base. The rest can be found on my Photobucket site: 18bravo_photos

Afghan pics will take a little longer as they're prints and need to be converted.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 02:46 PM UTC
Just added a few more to Photobucket.

Marcio, your decals are on the way.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:43 PM UTC
Thank you for the photos.
minimanfactory
Visit this Community
Vas, Hungary
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 07:26 AM UTC
Mees!

i built the same few month ago, I changed the wheels to the used on our UAZ-452...as it was ready more than a year ago, but I was faulty enough to finish the minivan.
The shape of the wheels/tires dropped the result with 110% ...
sometimes a good wheels can repair a bad shape.

Cheers, Gabor
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess it depends, the one I started months ago, and have worked on and off, mostly off, due to a lot of fit problems. As already pointed out the door fit sucks, but my hood left a wide gap along the sides bottom edge that needed to be built up. The guy on the link did some nice extra detailing. Maybe one of these days I'll un-box mine and finish it.

I've been using the Kagero top-shot book for reference, and a few added details. I'll try to post a few photos of my progress later tonight after work.

18Bravo, I would certainly appreciate a few photos also.... PM sent with email address.

Dave,
I never forgot that I said I'd get you photos of the SF UAZ 469's. The problem is finding where I put them. Back then I had not yet fully joined the digital age, and most of my photos are print. I ran across this one earlier today whilst cleaning out one of my junk drawers. I know there are more someplace. At any rate, all of ours came to us in this battleship gray color, and were creatively cammoed with what we had on hand. The best ones were when we simply sprayed Krylon cammo colors through cammo netting. With the new netting available, that job just became a lot easier.
Anyway, I saw your work again in the "Worst kit ever" thread, and would like to see your progress.

_GOTOTOP