_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya's "Otto Carius's Tiger Normandy?
Stormin
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hi all.
Can I use the Tamiya "Otto Carius's" Tiger in the Normandy peroid of June onwards? Or should I go with a later model of Tiger 1? Was there mixed type of Tigers (ie early production to mid production, or was this a late period in the life of the Tiger 1s) used around then? Any help for the correct Tiger production model for this period would be greatfuly received.
Thanks in advance, Kenny.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 09:14 AM UTC
kenny,
I think that a mixture of mid and late tigers would have been present during the normandy campaign but not the early model hope this helps

were are you from in scotland
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 11:33 AM UTC
Kenny,
I haven't seen the Otto Carius kit in a while so I can't remember exactly which version it is. I can tell you that I just looked through "Tigers In Combat I & II" and all the pics of the Tiger I in Normandy were Tiger IE's that are pictured with the late type cast cupola and not the drum cupola. There were steel wheeled, and rubber rimmed versions.

HTH,
Mike
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 04:23 AM UTC
The 501SS had a mix of mid and lates most of the mids being in the 3rd company and also I think one command tank was a mid but don't quote me on that one ...

Richard
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 04:26 PM UTC
Your correct Richard, can't confirm the command version though and it was known as the 101st sPzAbt (Special Heavy Panzer Battalion) in Normandy.

Hope this helps

Russ
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 05:32 PM UTC
I think the "otto casarius" is a mid production? I'm sure there were some early versions used later on in the battle as they probably pulled them in from other units, but 'ld stick with the cast coupola mid-late production version for a diorama. Zimmerit is required!
 _GOTOTOP