_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Tamiya Announce a KV-1 - in 1/16th
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 06:36 AM UTC
At the annual Plamodel Show in Japan, Tamiya have announced a real big ''un - 1/16th Scale KV-1 (Model 1940). What there is of the story, can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 06:48 AM UTC
looks great, bet its heavy on the ole coinpurse tho
fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 09:24 AM UTC
i was hopeing for a moden item. and not more ww2 items, come on tamiya every one has been on about they would love to see a challenger 2, t55, abrams.
so it just shows that tamiya do not lisen to every one what they are talking about on the web forums.
i think that this is why tamiya has been out of touch whit new items in 1/16rc.
i was hopeing for a challenger 2 as they could use the wheels and tracks almost from the leopard
so would you love to see a modern item like me?
all the best dave
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 09:30 AM UTC
No, the WWII theme is too strong to leave and go modern.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i was hopeing for a moden item. and not more ww2 items, come on tamiya every one has been on about they would love to see a challenger 2, t55, abrams.
so it just shows that tamiya do not lisen to every one what they are talking about on the web forums.
i think that this is why tamiya has been out of touch whit new items in 1/16rc.
i was hopeing for a challenger 2 as they could use the wheels and tracks almost from the leopard
so would you love to see a modern item like me?
all the best dave

And when has Tamiya ever paid attention to the web forums?? Never from what little I know. They always have, and probably always will step to the beat of their own drum.

As for using the wheels and tracks from the Leopard 2, nope, the tracks may be similiar but that's as far as it goes. The wheels are nothing alike.

Mike
Removed by original poster on 03/26/09 - 07:44:24 (GMT).
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 01:02 AM UTC
It says clearly in the original News report that it is to be for R/C.

Quoted Text

so it just shows that tamiya do not lisen to every one what they are talking about on the web forums. i think that this is why tamiya has been out of touch whit new items in 1/16rc.
i was hopeing for a challenger 2 as they could use the wheels and tracks almost from the leopard so would you love to see a modern item like me?
all the best dave

Echoing Mike's comments - Tamiya produce 1/35th & 1/48th Armor. That's it. They have no interest in Armorama (or anyone else) they sit up there dispensing perhaps 2-3 new kits a year and many fall over themselves to be grateful for the 'largesse'.

Regarding the model itself - the detail on the hundred-buck R/C tanks is as good (if not better) - this is toy-like and will probably be in the $400+ price range, if not more...
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 02:55 AM UTC
Well, a "large scale platform for scratch builders to improve on" is how I see it. There's better detailing in some quarter-scale offerings. But not to beat that proverbial dead horse, Tamiya don't care 'bout what we say or think, they jess doooooo!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 04:31 AM UTC
More like $750.00 plus like their latest have been.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

More like $750.00 plus like their latest have been.

Ouch!!! Bit ironic isn't it? People were saying how crazy the price of Trump's KT was (Scale, static model with full interior) and this Motorized toy is one and a half times the price?

Oh, it's got incorrect rear-decking as well
Removed by original poster on 03/26/09 - 07:44:03 (GMT).
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If it's a full option RC kit with a sound unit, transmitter and batteries it might just be worth it, but it's probably too early to tell,

Only if you're into R/C?

This is curious, we publish a lot of News of some incredibly innovative work from a lot of manufacturers. This, which IMO, is interesting but not tremendously 'earth-shattering' is posted and gets almost 5000 page views in two days. Am I REALLY missing something?
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 05:24 AM UTC
Sadly a static version is unlikely, if you look at Tamiya's latest 1/16th scale releases, only the Tiger I and the Leopard 2A6 were made available as static versions, not the Pershing, not the Panther G, not the Jagdpanther and not the Panzer IV...

On the other hand, I'm not condoning piracy but there's bound to be cheap Chinese copies (RC) soon, fully built and painted models that could be detailed somewhat with a bit of TLC, repainted, marked and weathered to a decent standard.

I've seen at Trucks & Tracks 2009 a 1/16 StuG III G from a Chinese brand that had been reworked and detailed, with zimmerit added, etc... It looked very impressive!

I got myself a couple of Chinese made 1/16th "Snow Leopards" (Pershings in fact),one bought cheap the other one was free, I'm planning on detailing them a bit. Anyway they're great fun to run as they are.

Cheers,

Christophe
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 08:50 AM UTC
Well, the static versions of these are nothing like the Trumpeter King Tiger, so if you want a Pershing, Panther G or even a Jagdpanther in that scale, BUY IT and then sell off the electronics and other hardware you don't need. It'll move very easily. I own 8 or 9 of these Tamiya R/C kits but that's what I like. I do once in a while build a 1/35th only if it strikes me, but I learned long ago that it's more rewarding to USE what you build, than watch it get dusty on a shelf.

They are NOTHING like the cheap toys you see online or in the Hobby Stores.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 08:47 PM UTC
I know, I bought the Tiger I static version. I would buy others if they were made available by Tamiya, don't understand why they wouldn't widen their range so easily, not to mention increase sales on high priced items?

Cheers,

Christophe
 _GOTOTOP