Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya 3t truck NOT an Opel Blitz?
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC
This is the new Tamiya offering. To be honest I don't think it really offers a great advance over the old Italaeri kit of the 70's - there is no engine included, & the blank nameplate where it should say "Opel Blitz" is frankly just irritating - the reason it's missing in the photos is because one is going to be cut from an old Italaeri truck in the loft which was made years ago & isn't up to snuff now, & added, but I haven't got round to it yet. The front wheels are still wrong, they have 6 studs when the army ones (except for early vehicles) should have 8. And it's much more expensive than the Italeari one...

Virtually all the markings on this except the actual numbers on the plates are hand painted, the data on the door was copied from a photo. It may be too large, but size seemed to vary from photographic evidence.
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 09:04 AM UTC
Nice looking shame about images, but you can tell its top notch. Part of 9th SS Hohenstaufen one of the littler know IMO SS Division. Even though they always seemed to be in the right place at the right time for the Germans. Nice to see some different markings. makes a change. So the Tamita Opel is not that groundbreaking, shame. They could relly have pushed this one, its not like there is not alot of referance for the 3 tonner. Nice One Geraint
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
Armorama: 671 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 09:41 AM UTC
I believe the issue with no "Opel" logo is due to licensing issues with Opel the car company, so Tamiya couldn't legally include it in the kit. Too bad....

Nice work!
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:17 AM UTC
Scott,
You are quite right, it is a licensing issue, however there is an AM PE kit (Eduard? Aber?) that includes the correct badge - so does that mean that they bunged Opel something? I wonder... They could always have done what DML do with their "Continentau" tyres. "Opal Blitz, made to make your mouth water...!"
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:50 AM UTC
On a related track, the new Zvezda L4500 kit has the three pointed star on the radiator, and on the radiator filler cap, but it isn't called the Mercedes-Benz anywhere on either the box, or the instructions.... well, apart from the Russian info

They could have called it the Merdedes-denz ...

What next, the M4 Sterman ? The M1 Abrahams ?

Nice Opel Blitz by the way Steve, how come I'm not surprised by the markings..

kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:05 PM UTC
Good Mooning folks!

Nice looking "Opium Blotz" btw! I'm beginning to sound like the French Poilceman on "Alo Alo" which is being re-aired currently on our local TV...

I believe LionRoar and Passion Models too have a solution each to the "Blotz" logo. A simple search on Ebay tells you this (equivalent to modeller's wikipedia these days).

Would Show Modelling's set for the Italeri kit fix the wheels issue? No doubt an added cost for an extravagant kit...

Cheers,

Lawrence
 _GOTOTOP