_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Tamiya Gun Tractor
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:47 PM UTC

Brian Culbertson reviews Tamiya's Quad Gun Tractor in !/35th scale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:55 PM UTC
Nice to see these older, but still available kits getting reviewed here.
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:09 AM UTC
Great review Brian!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:36 AM UTC
This is one that might benefit from some PE. eduard do a set for the Quad Tractor:

[url]http://www.eduard.cz/products/card.php?id_product=2150&name=&catalogue_nb=&type=1&pgroup=2&scale=&product_month=&product_year=&page_start=610url]

Also if you're planning on building this one change the drivers head as he is shown with a tankers beret and the RA wore standard GS caps or Field Service Caps.

It's a fun build and a good starter kit even without the bells and whistles. I read somewhere along the way that it's more 1/32 than 1/35 scale but I ahve no idea if this is so.

This one has the run flat tires hence no spare.

Good to see some British Trucks getting reviewed, even if the kit is 30 years old or so.

We live in hope of new and upgraded vehicles like this - maybe one day!

Al
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 07:38 AM UTC
I also like seeing the older kits get reviewed, since often I'm forced to resort to them for hard-to-find subjects. Good job, Brian!
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:20 AM UTC
Thx everyone.

AlanL, Thx for the link and the "head's" up on the figure.

Dave, Thx. I've been running into some of these older kits lately. Figured it was time for a flashback review.

Bill, Thx.
panzergoth
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 03:47 PM UTC
I have this kit from years ago and love it! I think That I bought it in 1979 or 1980. I used to get a magazine and I think it was called Military Modeler[ or modeling.] It was published by Carsten Publications and they also had Model Railroad magazines. I remember them having a column called "Kit Critique" and they reviewed the Quad and the old Peerless Max White scout car. I know it is an old kit but I love the undercarriage detail and for its age it is not bad in the detail compared to Tamiya offerings during that era. Seeing this inspires me to go back and "update" it a little with a little TLC.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 12:42 AM UTC
I had a heck of a time trying to find color info for mine and finally came up with this:
http://armorama.com/forums/133238&page=1

A book about these was recently released. I saw it at Perth Military Modeling. Information on these seemed scarce with few interior pictures and fewer color ones that were anything except dark green and a few with Mickey Mouse camo. Some were still being used and had civillian paint jobs.
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/books/capricorn/aw03.html

I also got the Eduard PE kit. It has a lot of goodies for the money, but beware because most are of the tiny variety that will disappear into carpeting and others, like the floor mounted rifle holders are insanely thin and delicate. Some of it my sausage fingers just could not deal with! I'll be following your build and maybe get worked up enough to wade back into mine! I got side tracked by a Panzer I and a few other tracks
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

4 liter engibe developing 95hp from a V8???????????? Wow, how technology has moved on is incredible. My diesel 3.2 V6 develops 215hp crazy days!

You are confusing horsepower with energy generated by the motor. A given motor will produce different horsepower and torque numbers depending on the gearing. Your car will win a race with this truck but lose horribly in a tractor pull competition.

-Doug
 _GOTOTOP