_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Something more encouraging from Tamiya
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 11:24 PM UTC
THIS

Not the world's biggest surprise, but worth it I hope.

David
TimTam27
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 222 posts
Armorama: 209 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

THIS

David

Thanks for the news David.

You say it's not a big surprise but I hadn't heard any rumours. I have to admit I had a bit of a feeling it might be coming, so barring any psychic abilities on my part there must have been a few subliminal clues floating around.
I think actually this is a pretty good decision on Tamiya's part. It must be one of the word's most famous tanks and many modellers would like to have an accurate, modern kit of this AFV. I don't think I am wrong in assuming that they will do a pretty good job his time around too.

I just hope they will include the early version parts again. Maybe this time, even a trench crossing tail!

Cheers,
TimTam27
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
Early war armor is one of my favorite genres. Nice to see a new one coming. One pet peeve though, you ought to state what your link is about or put a more descriptive title for your topic.
TuomasH
Visit this Community
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 01:29 AM UTC
Wow, a new tooling kit from TAMIYA? I had to read that announcement twice before I believed my eyes! It's good to have new Matilda. The old one has served us good, but time has gone past it already.
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 01:31 AM UTC
this is good to hear lets hope they go back and redo some more of their older kits.
keithburns
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 01:48 AM UTC
But....... I'm 70% through updating the old one reshaping the glacis, adding texture to the glacis, turret, engine cover and intakes, rebuilding the turret roof, new barrels etc......
Oh the humanity!

Still can't complain
-keith
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But....... I'm 70% through updating the old one reshaping the glacis, adding texture to the glacis, turret, engine cover and intakes, rebuilding the turret roof, new barrels etc......
Oh the humanity!

Still can't complain
-keith

Cool, so we have you to thank!

Thank you! Can you start scratchbuilding a Ram or Sentinel now?

Thanks,
Matt
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 02:25 AM UTC
i am really glad, i like tamiya kits a lot
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC
Good news, but I'm holding off on throwing the block party until they release it.

Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

THIS

David

Tamiya sent some of there people to Jacques Littlefield's collection in October 2008 to look at his Matilda in final preparation for this kit. I was wondering when they were going to announce it.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC
Not surprised either (having been told 'off-the-record' a month or two ago) but it does raise an interesting question - one that Chris has probably answered. There's a pretty close cooperation between ICM and Tamiya. Now, with the former announcing the Mark IV and Tamiya the Mark II, I was wondering if there had been a joint development program. However, I imagine ICM researched in Russia, and Tamiya in the States...
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hi david,

Thanks for the news. I never got around to building the old version so this should be good.

Al
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not surprised either (having been told 'off-the-record' a month or two ago) but it does raise an interesting question - one that Chris has probably answered. There's a pretty close cooperation between ICM and Tamiya. Now, with the former announcing the Mark IV and Tamiya the Mark II, I was wondering if there had been a joint development program. However, I imagine ICM researched in Russia, and Tamiya in the States...

Since Marcus' post does not mention what actual mark it is, you should be to use the Tamiya as a good basis for any of them. Or were you told that it will be a Mk II? In case anyone is wondering, the Littlefield Matilda is a Mk IV.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
Nightstrike
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC
Looking forward to seeing this new recreation of the Matilda good for you Tamiya
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't understand Tamiya as one of the best collections of Matildas in the world is sitting in Australia. Instead they choose to look at a single restored example.
Go figure
Al
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 12:21 PM UTC
Hopefully it will have some sort of an interior!
Nylonathatep
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 08:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh the humanity!

Still can't complain
-keith

Cool, so we have you to thank!

Thank you! Can you start scratchbuilding a Ram or Sentinel now?

Thanks,
Matt

Well I tried scratchbuilding one of them but nothing happened.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 09:02 PM UTC
Great! I guess my MR-Model CS-conversion and the Friul tracks will have to wait for this one... Wonder if there will be any australian Features?

Great News!

Cheers
Stef
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 01:08 AM UTC
The ML thread has expanded to say it will be a Mark III/IV and has a number in the Tamiya MM series - MM35300

Think I'd like a CS version.....

David
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hopefully it will have some sort of an interior!

It won't. Hmmm... MkIV being mooted? Now it DOES smell of a cooperative project...
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't understand Tamiya as one of the best collections of Matildas in the world is sitting in Australia. Instead they choose to look at a single restored example.
Go figure

Agreed... In this day and age errors in research in regards to what restored examples there are should be fewer and further in between... Wait and see, hey!
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Go figure
Al

TamiyaUSA is only an hour away from the Littlefield Collection via commercial flights so in a way, it makes sense. Plus, they have a well established relationship as Mr Tamiya has sent his people there for other projects(Crusader, Dragon Wagon, and a few others) and has visited there himself.

I'm also quite sure that the Littlefield one isn't the only Matilda they visited. Afterall, doesn't Bovington have a "Tamiya" Hall? And who's to say that they didn't go to Australia?

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 06:59 AM UTC
To inject a note of cynicism into the proceedings, just HOW many British subjects has Tamiya kitted-out in the last five years?

For me it's welcome. Very welcome. However, i'm a little disappointed that it is (apparently) the Mark IV. So, we're getting two models of this version this year. Which means that for a Western Desert vehicle, it'll have to be backdated.

So, once again, Tamiya announces a subject which hasn't (IMO) demonstrated a lot of thought, bearing in mind ICM doing the SAME version, and immediately the Love-Fest begins.

Meanwhile, Bronco, AFV Club, Tasca (yes AND Dragon) et al, are every month demonstrating that there IS a lot of thought going into their future products. News of Tamiya doing something they should have revised 10 years ago gets leaked and suddenly everyone falls over themselves in joy.

I'll get one (or two) but forgive me for NOT getting wildly excited - what's in development by other companies is definitely in the 'goose-bumps' category...
 _GOTOTOP