_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
75mm Pak 75 & 105mm
Fyrtog
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 01:22 PM UTC
Hello:

I have a couple of questions regarding these two new kits that are being released:

Vision Models 75mm Pak 75: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/5028

(1) I assume from the box art that this is the land version but I have also read that there was an airborne version called the M8 that had different types of wheels.

I was wondering if these wheels are also included in the kit or can be bought as an "after market" item. Also, other then the wheels, would there be anything different from this version and the airborne one?

(2) The British Airborne forces used them during Operation Market Garden
(they might have used them else where but this is the only use I have seen so far) and would the ones used by Britain look the same?
Did the British Army use them as well?

Dragon 105mm M2A1: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/5104

(1) If the kit comes with airborne figures, then is this the airborne version of the 105mm (if there ever was one) or the standard version?

Thank you in advance.

Michael

jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 02:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello:

Dragon 105mm M2A1: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/5104

(1) If the kit comes with airborne figures, then is this the airborne version of the 105mm (if there ever was one) or the standard version?

Thank you in advance.

Michael

Its the standard version of the 105. There was no airborne version of the gun because Airborne Divisions were not equipped with the 105.

John
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 04:15 PM UTC
A point to note. The 75mm howitzer is a "pack" howitzer, not "Pak" howitzer. The weapon was designed to be dismantled and carried in smaller packs.

The term PAK is an abbreviation for the German term PanzerAbwehrKanone -- or Anti-Tank gun.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 07:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There was no airborne version of the gun because Airborne Divisions were not equipped with the 105.

The U.S. did develop a shortened version of the 105mm howitzer for airborne or mountain troop use, the M3.
It was introduced into service in 1942 but wasn't considered very successful.

M3 105mm howitzer

The short barrel didn't properly stabilize the projectile and the standard of accuracy didn't meet the U.S. Army requirements.
They weren't initially part of the U.S. Airborne TO&E and were retired after the war.
Cheers

jjumbo
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 12:49 AM UTC
OK...lets got through a few things

The M1A1 75mm pack Howitzer can be found either with military tread tires or "commercial" tread. The M1A1 was not built for airborne but, as stated here previously, was designed to be broken down and "pack" carried on a mule.

The M2A1 105mm howitzer was the standard 105mm howitzer used by the allies. More than 10,000 of these were produced and with minor upgrades became the M101A1 also seeing service in Korea and VN. These are still in many countries inventory but went out of the US service in the mid 90s. At almost 4,000 lbs, it was never an airbore weapon.

The M3 was an attempt to increase firepower on the 75mm and give more diversity of ammunition types. It is a cut down M2A1 barrel mounted in a modified M1A1 recoil sled on a split trail carriage. This was eventually by the airborne but also used by "mountain" troops and is sometimes referred to as the mountain gun. It used the same projectile as the M2A1 but had a different powder load to account for the smaller size.

So I hope that is a clear as mud!!

Any questions just pull my lanyard

Rounds Complete!!

Fyrtog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 01:21 PM UTC
Hello:

Thank you to those that provided feedback to my posting, I think now I have a better understanding for each one and it will help me in my researching as to their usage and etc.

Thank you again.

Michael
([email protected])

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 12:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A point to note. The 75mm howitzer is a "pack" howitzer, not "Pak" howitzer. The weapon was designed to be dismantled and carried in smaller packs.

The term 'Pack' comes from the term 'Pack Animals' meaning, that in its original designation it was designed for transport by mules or horses.

The M1a1 in its Airborne role (U.S.) - Designated as the M8, was designed to be air-dropped in 9 seperate containers:

I was dissambled into 7 loads (gun) plus two additional ammo loads:

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/equip_75pack.htm

http://www.questmasters.us/M18_Paracaisson.html

Back to the original questions. I'm working on the Review/Build of the Vision Models 75mm at this moment. Both sets of wheels ARE included:

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(2) The British Airborne forces used them during Operation Market Garden
(they might have used them else where but this is the only use I have seen so far) and would the ones used by Britain look the same?
Did the British Army use them as well?

The British Airborne version had a few differences check out this site and look at the CAD images on the side:

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/equip_75pack.htm
gmat5037
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 07:37 AM UTC
The 105mm Howitzer M3 was primarily used in Regimental Cannon Companies. There are pictures of it serving in Cannon Companies in France. The 442nd RCT had a Cannon Company with M3s and they served to the end of the war. In Airborne Divisions, the M3 was glider borne. After the war, M3s were provided to the new Korean Army, but the barrels were worn and were not effective when war broke out.
The 105mm M3 was developed to satisfy a requirement to provide a more powerful weapon (yet still light) to replace the 75mm M1 pack howitzers used by some regimental cannon companies. It was not developed to satisfy an airborne requirement, but was used as it was available. Only the 101st Airborne used it in 1944 and it was later authorized for other Airborne units.
The 10th Mountain Division only used 75mm Pack Howitzers, so the term mountain gun for the 105mm M3 is in error. The 105mm M3 used the modified mount for the 75mm M3 which was developed to satisfy a light horse (drawn) artillery piece. (The 75mm M3 had split trails and was about 1000 lbs heavier than the 75mm M1) The 105mm M3 could not easily be broken down into pieces and packed by mules. The 10th Mountain Division artillery battalions were capable of being packed by mules.
Some sources state otherwise on the development of the 105mm M3, but I believe that they are in error.
Hope that this is of some use.
Best wishes,
Grant
Fyrtog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 01:13 PM UTC
Thank you Grant for the information that you provided.

Michael
 _GOTOTOP