_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Contest
June DMoM beginner class
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 12:15 AM UTC
Just as a reminder, the June DMoM will have a class for novice modelers to show their stuff.

So this is a warning order to all the new and returning builders out there to get cracking

cheers
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 12:27 AM UTC
Rick are the any extra rules or giudlines?

sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rick are the any extra rules or guidelines?

Here are the rules for the novice class;

A novice entry is defined as an 'out of the box' build, without photo-etch, no additional or scratch-build items, a simple basic paint job without additional extensive weathering techniques.

Out of the Box (OOB) models may compete in either category based on the preference and corresponding skill of the individual modeller. Modellers who win Novice competition will not be eligible to enter the Novice competition again.

cheers
TuomasH
Visit this Community
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 12:42 AM UTC
Who do you consider as novice? I have been modelling for about year now, am I still eligible for novice class?
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Who do you consider as novice? I have been modelling for about year now, am I still eligible for novice class?

It depends on your skill level and especially your finishing techniques. Most beginners are not well versed in multi layer weathering techniques such as pre-shading, washes, filters, advanced chipping techniques, use of pigments and so forth.

A basic build is just that, basic.

This is a pic of one of my earliest builds LOL,

Very plain as you can see.

Now jump ahead three years,

cheers
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 01:25 AM UTC
So, pre shading, weathering, pigments are banned?

Self-Propelled
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 02:53 AM UTC
I don't really get the part about PE parts, what if they were included in the kit itself? Would you still be allowed to use them?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 04:13 AM UTC
What we are trying to do here is give people who are new to the hobby, or have returned to the hobby a chance to win some goodies. It is not for experienced members to build an OOB model and enter it into this competition. If we do not get a fair number of entries and support for this from the new builders and returning members, it will be scrapped and be open to everyone as a normal DMoM would.
cmbeal317
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 03:54 AM UTC
If you enter the beginner class would still recive a prize if you win like in the regular class?

Chris
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you enter the beginner class would still recive a prize if you win like in the regular class?

Chris

Yes you would.

cheers
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 05:04 AM UTC
unfortunately i'm probably too good to be in the begginer competition but not good enough to enter the normal one. still, i'll give it a shot with my next build and see if i can scrape some votes

we need an intermediate competition now!
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 03:24 PM UTC
Just to clarify something? I read the rules and I thought that June's competition would be for novices only. Am I mistaken?
lespauljames
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 10:32 PM UTC
im encouraging willow to finish a kv2 that i bought her, so hopefully if its done in time you will ahve an extra contestant
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 11:24 PM UTC
Didn't even know there was a novice one. When's the next one ?
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 06:57 AM UTC
There are two novice DMoM competitions scheduled each year, they are scheduled to tale place in June and December. These two DMoMs each year are for novice entries only, and continuance of the novice DMoM is reliant on a reasonable number of entries being submitted. If they do not get a suitable number of entries they will no longer be held and all DMoM.s will be open to all.

That is the situation the DMoM was at when I left the staff.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 01:55 PM UTC
Hello Troops,

Sorry for the delay, but I had some personel issues to deal with.

Thanks for the reply Darren, but it seems that as it stands now there are only 3 (yes,...3) viable entries for the June Novice competition.

The minimum number that I would like to see is 6 entries per month.

So, if over the next two days we don't get the required number of entries the June DMoM will be cancelled and the novice competition will be re-assessed for the future.

cheers
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 09:12 PM UTC
I think the problem is defineing a novice, does anyone here really comply with the criteria?
I'm new back into the hobby but am experimenting with PE
and washes, chipping etc so that rules me out. Perhaps an age limit
would be better. Lets see those under 18 or under 25.

I'll submit this if it complies it's my second tank in twenty years!
But there is a bit of PE on it. Fenders and smoke dischargers
So not strictly OOB.

Hasegawa Tiger 1 1/72

Ps where to post pictures? I couldn't find the gallery and there is no link in this thread.
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 09:32 PM UTC
being only 16 myself, i would be very much in favour of an under 18's or under 25's competition, but i'm not sure how many other younger members there are on here. i can only think of a handful.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 11:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are two novice DMoM competitions scheduled each year, they are scheduled to tale place in June and December. These two DMoMs each year are for novice entries only, and continuance of the novice DMoM is reliant on a reasonable number of entries being submitted. If they do not get a suitable number of entries they will no longer be held and all DMoM.s will be open to all.

That is the situation the DMoM was at when I left the staff.

Cheers, though by December I hope to have long since departed from novice status.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 11:57 PM UTC
under 25's would be good one, cus usually us young uns, are a bit more skint than you oldies
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 12:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the problem is defineing a novice, does anyone here really comply with the criteria?
I'm new back into the hobby but am experimenting with PE
and washes, chipping etc so that rules me out. Perhaps an age limit
would be better. Lets see those under 18 or under 25.

I'll submit this if it complies it's my second tank in twenty years!
But there is a bit of PE on it. Fenders and smoke dischargers
So not strictly OOB.

Ps where to post pictures? I couldn't find the gallery and there is no link in this thread.

Hey JP, I would say that that build is a few notches above a novice build. There is aftermarket PE, weather done in layers and such.

I realize that wrapping quotation marks around what is or isn't a novice build is difficult. But for now it comes to what I and some of the staff dictate. You say it's your second tank, but how many other kits have you built? My second tank was the Tamiya T-55,...with a CMK interior and CMK engine compartment, about six frets of PE, aluminium barrel, and Fruil tracks.

I think that the finished product is the deciding factor on where it stands. How long or how many kits a person has built I don't think has bearing on wether or not they are a beginner or advanced builder. Maybe someone has built 50 kits but still doesn't fill seams, has finger prints everywhere, runs in the paint ect. Now these are extreme examples and i'm not saying that all beginner builds are this way LOL.

Maybe we will look at an age group as a deciding factor, I don't have that answer yet. The whole purpose of the novice class is to help beginners to expand their skills, and nothing motivates one better than being able to win free stuff!

As far as entries go you have to e-mail ME the pics in a 800 x 600 (preferably) format and i will upload them to the gallery. When the time comes I will post a link and make the voting live.

Quoted Text

being only 16 myself, i would be very much in favour of an under 18's or under 25's competition, but i'm not sure how many other younger members there are on here. i can only think of a handful.

Like I said this may be an option, you would be surprised how many youts are part of this community .

cheers
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 12:21 AM UTC
Cool that does make things clearer, but I wonder how many builds you see here
are actually WORSE than the one I've just posted
Just following advice on here will rise you above a novice pretty damn quick if this
is not a novice build.

I think the age thing works as it is easier to delinate and it is all about getting fresh blood into the hobby
and rewarding their increase in skills.

Perhaps this thread isn't the place for this discussion but since there are no takers
for the contest I guess it is as good a place as any.

Top marks to you for trying something different.
Annual prize for most improved modeller, voted on by staff say might be another approach.
Self-Propelled
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 12:36 AM UTC
I just turned 19 and an "under 25" competition would greatly encourage younger builders to compete seeing as some might feel as if they need a few more years of building before they're ready for the normal DMoM.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 01:14 AM UTC
Just to throw the cat amongst the pidgeons so to speak, and as we are suggesting alternate possibilities for the DMoM. May I suggest that should this current attempt fail to gain the required level of interest and support that 2 DMoM’s a year be for dioramas.
Jupiterblitz
KitMaker: 885 posts
Armorama: 796 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 05:29 AM UTC
I would not drop the idea of the beginner class's contest that fast.

Most things do not work promptly after one attempt.

Each trial lets you see what needs to be improved.

One thing the DMoM still suffers is that it is not advertised extensively enough.

Look at the main page as well as this thread which is not being pin-marked.

The thing is not that the knowledge about such a contest is rather well to get, it is about to come to the aimed clientel with this subject permanently and more massively (at least more than now).

Remember back to February where a discussion about the rules had been started. It resulted in an increased participation.

But then it was missed to heat this subject more and constantly.

With the reduced effort and the better weather the entries have become less and less.

Actually the DMoM has felt into his old rut because most of the February's suggestions and ideas have not been realized.

(Another reason is the weather).

You might start a diorama contest, but no matter what kind of subject you select: As long as you do not consider some of the most elementary things you will not have that kind of participation you like to have.

In February Sleeping Beauty was awaken from her sleep but it was missed to throw her out of her bed.

The solution is still in your hand.

_GOTOTOP