_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Tamiya Announcements @ Shizuoka '09
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 10:54 PM UTC
After doing a little research, i''ve now found details and images of ALL the Armor-Related releases announced at this year's Shizuoka Hobby Show in Japan, by Tamiya. The Report includes little which hasn''t come out onto the Forums already, but I have been able to compile a series of images of the New releases. The report (including a 'touch' of Editorial) can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 11:56 PM UTC
Thanks Jim,

Its great that you are on the ball with these releases.

The Matilda is a definate for me, worried about the high price though, i'm thinking it may well be around £30 when it gets to the UK. I fancy doing a Russian version too, though whether i'll by two depends on the cost.

The Staff car looks like a nice interesting subject, it's good that Tamiya are doing their own thing like this rather than doing a DML/Trumpeter and tring to match every kit!

I assume the Citroen was used by the French in 1940, before being pressed in to German service? If so I have a diorama waiting for it to slot into!

Think i'll give the scenic paints a miss mind you.

James
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 01:14 AM UTC
For those who DIDN'T see the (earlier) Report, specifically on the Matilda, more images can be seen:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/5138
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I assume the Citroen was used by the French in 1940, before being pressed in to German service?

It's a good question I assume (gut-feeling kicking in) that it's a late1930s model. Unless of course the Citreon plants continued production following the German Occupation in which case...
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
I like the British Command Car,an interesting subject.It's also good to see some that 1/48 251
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 01:23 AM UTC
Another thing that has been spotted on some report photos is some sort of SAS jeep. As yet i dont think anyone knows if this is a Tamiya item or what, but the Jeep looks like their updated willy's kit but with the relevant accessories to make it an SAS version. Theres also 4 figures photographed next to this that look like two jeep riders, and two standing figures. Im interested to find out what this is and whether its a Tamiya item.....? I'll try dig out the photo
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another thing that has been spotted on some report photos is some sort of SAS jeep.

I think this may originate from one of the Competions at the Show? Shizuoka Hobby Show is, unlike Nuremberg, open to modelers as well. Perhaps this is where this is coming from?
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 01:29 AM UTC
Link to mysterious SAS jeep

http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/Dioramania/SHS2009Clubs?authkey=Gv1sRgCMWKg4L649rLVw#5336702792599820130
kaiserine
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 383 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 01:31 AM UTC
OH wOOW I've been waiting for the Traction 11cv in 1/35 for yeras now.
And I'll get it.
You saved my day Jim.

Bye!
Alex.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Another thing that has been spotted on some report photos is some sort of SAS jeep.

I think this may originate from one of the Competions at the Show? Shizuoka Hobby Show is, unlike Nuremberg, open to modelers as well. Perhaps this is where this is coming from?

Thats is what I suspect, its just odd that it looks like new tooled parts added to the Tamiya jeeps, which leads to the suspicion that it may been some kind of Tamiya release.....
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 01:33 AM UTC
Thanks Rob That's DEFINITELY not from the competitions (except it was on a competition table). It's NOT Tamiya either. So, the question is, who?
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 01:38 AM UTC
Looking at it further Jim, the parts look as though they might be resin, theres something about it that makes me wonder Legends? The figures certainly look really nice as well, especially the bloke in the LRDG coat.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I assume the Citroen was used by the French in 1940, before being pressed in to German service? If so I have a diorama waiting for it to slot into!

IIRC, only 247 had been ordered by the French army in 1938, as the ground clearance of the Traction Avant was considered as being too low, and most of those used in 1939-40 were civilian cars which had been bought off their private owners at 2/3 of the original price (not requisitioned..).
Here's one left behind in Dunkirk :

HTH
Frenchy
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 02:37 AM UTC
Thanks Frenchy!

Thats some good info, and a great pic, very interesting camouflage scheme which is definately drawing me towards using one!

The SAS jeep certainly looks like aftermarket accesories or the like, the fuel drums look like those from Tasca. Also I could be wrong, but the sitting crew on the right look like resin castings of Tamiya's original figures, and the officer in cap looks like one of Miniarts recent armoured car crew figures?
Could this just be a modellers WIP that he brought to the show? I know i've done this at local shows before so guys can see where i'm at with a build i've been talking about.

It just has an air of someone's own build with the replacement .50cal barrel, and wire jerry can racks. Given that it was on the competition table too?

I would however like to see a new SAS Jeep, even though i've finally managed to collect all the parts to convert my own!!!

James
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 02:44 AM UTC
More info on the 11CV here on Tamiya's site:

http://www.tamiya.ca/35000%20series/35301_1.htm

Again "the number of parts is kept in check" as with the Matilda.

It says that it comes with 2x German, 1x French army + 1x civilian markings so that answers my earlier question!

James
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The SAS jeep certainly looks like aftermarket accesories or the like, the fuel drums look like those from Tasca. Also I could be wrong, but the sitting crew on the right look like resin castings of Tamiya's original figures, and the officer in cap looks like one of Miniarts recent armoured car crew figures?
Could this just be a modellers WIP that he brought to the show? I know i've done this at local shows before so guys can see where i'm at with a build i've been talking about.

It just has an air of someone's own build with the replacement .50cal barrel, and wire jerry can racks. Given that it was on the competition table too?

I would however like to see a new SAS Jeep, even though i've finally managed to collect all the parts to convert my own!!!

James

I think this is correct, someone brought their current project to the show. The picture is from the "clubs" section and it is not unusual for in process models to be displayed. You can enlarge the picture, but it only shows the top 2/3 of so.
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 12:37 PM UTC
I always liked the earlier matilda release despite it few small drwwbacks and am glad to see a better version of this cool little tank, definitely on my want list and hope the sas jeep with the better willys kit is true and improved but as for the lrdg truck another fav but did they rework it such as the bad tires that crack after awhile and better details or same kit just rehashed with the Italian gun being towed?
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 12:39 PM UTC
nvm i just saw that the lrdg is just a rehash, dam, oh well.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

nvm i just saw that the lrdg is just a rehash, dam, oh well.

I'm with you on this one...

As an original LRDG truck was found and recovered some years ago, a 1939 Chevy as I recall, then maybe there is hope that some one will make a new version of the truck. We can only hope.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 09:21 PM UTC
The other aspect to all this, is that the release of the Citroen MAY suggest that the Austin Tilly may be up-scaled to 1/35th as well. However, the only 'concern' i'm having is this (from TamiyaUSA) regarding the Matilda:

Quoted Text

The number of parts required for the assembly of the gun turret, hull, and the complicated suspension has been minimized for ease of assembly.

As James spotted regarding the Citreon:

Quoted Text

For easy assembly of the suspension, the number of parts is kept in check.

Not entirely a bad thing, unless you really want to display the suspension I suppose...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 09:54 PM UTC
Although the Matilda looks very good, sadly, the crew doesn't come up to the same standard:

From the Japanese Sembado Site (for discussion purposes ONLY):

Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Although the Matilda looks very good, sadly, the crew doesn't come up to the same standard

I've seen worse Jim, and bare in mind that these may be masters, they certainly have bigger seams than are usual for Tamiya figs.

Saying that, might we expect given current Tamiya policy that these figures would have originated from ICM? They seem to be on the Tamiya spruces though rather than on a seperate one.

Also I completely understand your concerns about tamiya's statements about keeping parts down to a minimum. This could definately be seen as worrying by us 'hard-core' modellers.

However, I'm not going to be too concerned just yet as this has always been Tamiya's policy. Fiddly parts are just not their thing, and probably never will be.
So rather than indicating a new policy of minimising parts I think they are probably just stating their current policy in order to get another bullet point in the kit features list.

Of course time will tell when we finally get one of these kits in!

James
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 01:11 AM UTC
I suppose that the Crew figures aren't going to be any big deal as we've got around FOUR British Crews on the way - One Desert set from Masterbox, Two from MiniArt, and the Fourth (also from MiniArt) which will have some use as well.
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 01:39 AM UTC
The crew figures are not a biggie for myself, with all the choices in resin and the few exemplary plastic ones I haven't used a Tamiya figure in years.
AlanL
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 02:07 AM UTC
Yes, I do hope the Tilly gets a re-scale. The Citroen is a welcome development and the crew figures can be worked on or replaced.

More good news.

Al
 _GOTOTOP