Resicast Airborne Jeep - Royal Artillery
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 06:30 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

The next project will be this one. There are very small vehicles!! .

Al
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hi Alan ive seen this built a few tims Im looking foward to what you do with it

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hi James,

You can keep me on the right track then.

Hi Guys,

Well after a lazy afternoon I made a small start on the jeep. As you are workjing with two sets of instructions , good idea to read them through well first.

The kit parts

Step One, is removing the rear bumpers and side light from the engine grill. You also need to remove the step/valance from the rear right front wing. This was required so that the jeep would fit/turn into the glider. You can also remove the left had side step if you want as sometime both were removed but the choice is yours.

Next will be to build stage 1, 2 and 3 of the Tamiya instructions. Remember if you are going to use the positionable steering, that in step 2 you will need to remove the drive shaft from Tamiya Part B18 and add it to replecement Part V.

There are some very find seem lines on the chassis that can easily be removed with a sharp blade.

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 08:34 PM UTC
Update on progree

You don't have much work time with super glue, so Gator Glue from Kenny might be a better option for positioning the wheels. Fitted the remainder of the chassis parts and drilled out the exhaust.

Al
Galwitz
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 02:10 AM UTC
I’m watching closely, Alan. It’s an interesting conversion and it’s looking great so far…

-A-
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 02:51 AM UTC
Hi Alex,

Thanks for drop[ping in. I got this one several years ago but only now thought I might build it.

I have added the replacement rear plate, the pedals and accellorator and the replacement dash board. The difference here I believe is they moved the horn fron the steering whweel to the dash as the steering wheel had a quick release mechanism added.

The instructions are the older type so you need good eyes or in my case a small eye glass!

Time to do some painting and then join the chassis to the frame.

Al
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 03:18 AM UTC
Hey Al. Nice touch with the steering on the front axel was it hard to put together?
I did have the one for the M8 but it was a nightmare and I ended up breaking it in the end

Have you got photo of the front end?

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 03:21 AM UTC
My head hurts just looking at these small parts, Alan! LOL

My hat's off to you. Resicast should offer you a position in their stock portfolio!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 03:47 AM UTC
Hi James,

I sympathise with you, It's tricky getting everything to match up before the super glue dries and the parts you want flexible stick fast and the ones you want to sick fast don't lol, lol.

No other pics at the moment. I glued the joints into the wheels first and then set one wheel as I wanted it, then built up the rods and joint to the other wheel. The Watchmakers eyeglass comes in handy, for getting the right ends of the parts. I put a bit more turn on it than I would have liked but it should be OK.

Bill,

lol, lol. This is even small than the carriers, but the Tamiya kit is nice, just some very thin seem marks to scrap.file off. There aren't really that many conversion parts to deal with. I think the addition of the positionable steeering in the kit is worth the effort..

I'm just fixing the bonnet at the moment I took a bit out of it when I was cutting it off, should have used a new shaper blade.

The Resicast answer is simple, they make the stuff I want to build. Who else, does, 2" mortars, compo boxes, biscuit tins and all the rest lol, lol. These sets for the Airborne Jeeps must be what 10/12 years old at least.. No doubt when I built a few they will finally turn up in plastic lol, lol.

Fortunately SWMBO rarely sees the post

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 04:33 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Here's my bonnnet fix. The kit would have been designed for the oriiginal Tamiya kit I think. There is a small shelf area at the top centre rear of the bonnet, designed I imagine to fit over the lip in the old kit. I sliced my knife into this, so I cut out the area, inserted a small piece of plastic and then gave it a coat of Mr Surface. Should be OK when painted. I also thinned the inside edges of the bonnet a little to give it a snug fit.

That's the good news, however on the way back from the photo table I dropped the chassis and broke off the front right wheel. Fortunately it glued back on OK but this will be a weak point in the kit so I will have to be more careful!!

Next I'll glue the two bits together and finish adding the engine parts.

Al
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 11:06 AM UTC
Al I hate when i drop things. I dropped two builds that I was blogging on here and there both ruined now! beyond repair . I think I might get the Conversion set or just the front steering for the SAS jeep or the DUKW.

You have a point about the 2" mortars, compo boxes and the biscuit tins

Now where did I leave my mums credit card

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 06:21 PM UTC
Morning James,

Life! Good luck with the set if you go that route.

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 07:12 PM UTC
Hey Al,
The Jeep's coming along well !!!
I've built a couple of these and I like the kit, nice, fine detail.
But I too learned the hard way about how weak the wheel/suspension is.
First time I dropped mine taught me to not glue on any of the wheels or fiddly bits until I was finished with the hood (aka the bonnet), seats and chassis.
It's a shame that Tamiya don't produce any other versions like the various SAS, ambulance or .50 cal. versions.
Just look at Tamiya's recent catalogs, there's not sign of the Jeep anywhere.
That's because they'd have to pay more licensing royalties to Chrysler.
Take a look at the box top, there's even a Chryser advert on it.
Oh well, that's my rant for the day.
Looking forward to the rest of your build.
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 05:20 AM UTC
Hi John,

The lack of versions is standard for most Tamiya Allied kits, especially British ones. Don't see any advert?

Italeri do have a good range of jeeps though.

Al

jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 06:49 AM UTC
Hey Al,
Sorry to get a bit !!!
Maybe it's only the kits sold in North America.
My kit's box has a Jeep ad on the same side as the one with the .30 cal mg and ammo box, Garand rifle and Thompson SMG in leather scabbards and a U.S. Jerrycan pictured on it.
It shows a mountain landscape with a river and trees and says "Jeep, there's only one" and some small print about the Jeep name and grille design being Chrysler trademarks.
The box art is originally from 1997, maybe it's been dropped ???
As I mentioned in my previous post, you can't find any pictures or mention of the Jeep in any of Tamiya's catalogs going back about 10 years.
IINM, didn't Italeri omit the Jeep name in their latest release, calling it a 1/4 ton truck ???
Very odd.
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 09:27 AM UTC
Hi John,

Yip, I remember something about tires and the name on them causing a problem a few years ago. You'd think that Giants of Industry would view it as free advertising, but once the bean crunchers get on board forget it, all sense of reason is gone!!

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hey Al,
Yeah, there's been a number of issues regarding licensing royalties over recent years.
I've heard about Continental, Boeing and a few other companies not giving permission for their product names or likenesses to be used.
They must be trying to squeeze every penny out of every source of revenue including the kit manufacturers !!
Could you imagine if every company that ever produced a plane, tank, truck, ship, etc..... did that ??
Greed be thy name !
Anyway, lets get back to more mundane things like World Peace !!

Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 10:51 AM UTC
Yip,

Tomorrow's another day

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Added the front ammo stowage, shortened bumper, tools and front tow hook.

Al

colin-rlc
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 05:39 AM UTC
Hi Alan, this is looking good, as is usual with your builds. I have a few Tamiya jeeps in my stash to get around to at some point as well. One will get the Resicast Airborne RAMC conversion to go with a few British para's/medic that I have. Another project in the making that will have to wait until next year.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 06:44 AM UTC
Hi Colin,

Good to see you drop in. Hope all is well. Some of this PE is tiny. I have the stretcher set on order and have a couple of the wounded soldiers too. It's taken me 4 years to get around to opening the box on this one lol, lol. Hopefuly it will turn out OK, the jeeps I've seen built look great. Always wanted to try one of these. Might try the radio jeep and RASC set if it's still available some time if this works out OK.

Cheers

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 10:25 AM UTC
Good work Alan, will this go in your Market Garden dio?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

Thanks, it took a good few hours to sort out the front ammo box lol, lol. The straps need to thread through two small fixings on the grill, which I made from wire, and then thread through the front of the PE support. Sounds simple but took me ages lol, lol.

Also the PE support has two small ends that bend so that the frame for the ammo case sits a little above the chassis, but these broke off as I was getting it off the spur so I improvised with two resin feet from some scrap.

Lots of feeding straps through very tiny gaps coupled with some bad language lol, lol.

Anyway to answer your question, I'm not sure. I hadn't really considered a dio on Op Market Garden before. Then the announcment of the 1/35 gliders got my interest again, but it's an area I'm only beginning to read up on so I haven't decided yet what the setting wil be. I have a standby for the campaign of the old Verlinden Battle for Arnhem kit so that I might actually finish a campaign lol, lol.

In truth I'm tempted to wait for the arrival of said glider and see what it's like, but building the paras has been a lot of fun and a nice change of kit. This one has been sitting in a box for about 4 years now

I got a cracking book Op Marker Garden, Then and Now which has given a lot of new information and thoughts, some Carrier possibilities too lol, lol. The new 75mm pack howitzer coming out in plastic has also good possibilities and who knows a new 6pdr might be closer than we think.

Time will tell. I have some more figures ordered up and will see how things go. I also have another Tamiya jeep so it may go to conversion too if this one is successful.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 08:34 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

A little more work, added the spare wheen and metal towing bracket, a touch of paint over the bodywork and wheels.

Now the fun part starts.

AL
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 02:51 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well added some blanking plates over the bonnet and mirror holes, did a bit of painting, added the steering wheel and the small plate on the rear wheel.

Need to await the arrival of some decals now and do some stores and rifles.

Al

_GOTOTOP