_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Trumpeter: Their New PZ IV Variants
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 08:42 PM UTC
Trumpeter have just sent us Images & Details of two New models of Variants on the Pz IV Chassis.Both the ''OstWind'' and the Bergepanzer IV have been announced and FULL details and Images can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:23 PM UTC
Great news Jim,
I was waiting for a Bergepanzer IV for ages...
The Ostwind seems like another DML vs Trumpeter battle, for years we just had the Tamyia version and by some odd twist of modeling history... 2 at the same time .
Great to see the detailed interior, I might get the Trumpeter version just for that, the metal gun barrel for the Flak would be a nice addition I guess.
It seems that Trumpeter is going along with various PIV variants ! Good !
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great news Jim,
The Ostwind seems like another DML vs Trumpeter battle, for years we just had the Tamyia version and by some odd twist of modeling history... 2 at the same time .
Great to see the detailed interior, I might get the Trumpeter version just for that, the metal gun barrel for the Flak would be a nice addition I guess.

Oh dear. I suggest, you go NOW and get yourself some Pom-Poms and practice your 'moves', cos, sure as hell you're about to get categorized as a 'Cheerleader'. Watch this space!
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 10:12 PM UTC
Not sure how surprised I am about these, but both look to be great kits, nice to see the etched shield for the Ostwind (people will complain that there's no plastic alternative for less confident modellers now )

The reason i'm not too surprised is the inclusion of a complete turret interior for the panzerjagerwagen, and now with a lower hull interior done I presume we can soon expect a complete pz.kpfw IV with interior in the not too distant future. Im guessing an Ausf. H?
Hopefully though they will have fixed their turret shape issues.

I also hope the interiors in these kits aren't as plagued by sink holes as the Turret interior on the panzerjagerwagen was.

James
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great news Jim,

Actually while Tamiya offered the Wirbelwind and two versions of the Mobelwagen, the only Ostwind kits to date have been the old Monogram kit in 1/32nd thirty years ago and the more recent Italeri offering in 1/35th. From the test shots, it looks as though Trumpeter, like Italeri before them, has not repositioned the radio operator's hatch forwards, even with the driver's hatch (it needed more clearance due to the larger turret ring, so the workshops cut out the opening in front of the hatch with a torch, and then welded the cutout back in place behind it).
The hull machine gun mount on the Bergepanzer looks a bit anemic, though this seems a minor quibble. On the plus side, the inclusion of full hull interiors raises the bar a bit for Dragon (though no doubt this will also affect the price point).
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 12:04 AM UTC
Flakpanzers have never held a big interest for me but I kinda like this one.

Couple of questions :

How does the shell ejection work ? I've seen footage of the 3.7cm firing and the shells seem to fair fly out so are they just intended to hit the side and drop down below ? In other words if I did one in action would there be empty casings on the floor. Or is it meant to have some kind of brass catcher ?

If working with searchlights would these tow their own searchlight ( something like the AFV 60cm unless anyone knows of a bigger one ) or would they operate with one mounted on another vehicle like Blitz or the SWS UHU, or towed by another vehicle ( or of course all of the above ).
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 12:17 AM UTC
Bergepanzer IV, that's great.

We're going to have choice from two manufactuers as Dragon announced their Bergepanzer IV, too

EDIT - I've removed your link as i'll be posting this as a News Item later on today andas this thread is for Trumpeter's release...
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 12:21 AM UTC
Truly golden days for modellers. This looks absolutely fantastic. I have made the Italeri kit of this Pz. IV version and it is an attractive looking model. It will surely look even better in a newly tooled version.

Thanks for the update
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 12:54 AM UTC
Great kits!

Strange, we haven't seen the bergerpanzer IV in the recent DML announcements. How many days will we wait for the DMLto respond ??:D
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 01:05 AM UTC
The other Bergepanzer will be covered in its OWN News Report.

As i'll be getting the usual garbage for posting THIS report, can we keep comments to the Trumpeter model please?
Self-Propelled
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 01:40 AM UTC
I wasn't surprised about the Ostwind, Trumpeter actually announced theirs long before DML did. Seeing it with a full interior warms my heart however I think that the recently released CMK interior looks better. Oh well, you won't see it anyway. The fact that the turret is made of brass is cool, it's perfect for scale thickness. However, shouldn't there be a bunch of racks on the inside of the turret walls or will these still be added to the models hitting the shelves?
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 01:41 AM UTC
Anyone knows how these kits will be priced?
wildbill426
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 375 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 02:18 AM UTC
wow. this is like the war of armor honor between trumpeter and dragon. kind of like alien versus godzilla except they build things instead of crush them.
Removed by original poster on 05/27/09 - 13:22:51 (GMT).
Afroman
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone knows how these kits will be priced?

Expensively, no doubt
Self-Propelled
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 02:44 AM UTC
DML just announced their Bergepanzer IV. This is starting to get really ridiculous.
iamsu7
Vendor
TRUMPETER
Visit this Community
Anhui, China / 简体
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 03:12 AM UTC
DML.go after is so tired
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 03:17 AM UTC
Glad to see that Trumpeter is continuing to pursue the Pz IV line and will be following these releases with interest. The approach of providing PE for the Ostwind turret in particular is an interesting step.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 03:36 AM UTC
Wow, these guys are listening! I asked for engines if you're going to give me hatches that open, and here they are! DML, it's your turn to push the envelope and give us engine compartments if you're going to provide openable hatches.
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
Again...more choices to make...might have to get a 2nd job to afford the abundance of kits that are coming out. Nahh, wouldn't be any time to build!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 12:17 PM UTC
Nice-----

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Great news Jim,

Actually while Tamiya offered the Wirbelwind and two versions of the Mobelwagen, the only Ostwind kits to date have been the old Monogram kit in 1/32nd thirty years ago and the more recent Italeri offering in 1/35th. From the test shots, it looks as though Trumpeter, like Italeri before them, has not repositioned the radio operator's hatch forwards, even with the driver's hatch (it needed more clearance due to the larger turret ring, so the workshops cut out the opening in front of the hatch with a torch, and then welded the cutout back in place behind it).
The hull machine gun mount on the Bergepanzer looks a bit anemic, though this seems a minor quibble. On the plus side, the inclusion of full hull interiors raises the bar a bit for Dragon (though no doubt this will also affect the price point).

CMK did a 'special' of the Ostwind, using a Tamiya Pz. IV kit with a lot of added PE and plastic parts for the Ostwind 'conversion' . A truly horrible kit, the plastic parts for the turret are pretty much beyond help, and the gun lacks much finesse. It still sits on my 'to finish one day shelf'...

The Bergepanzer is a definite, in return for a full (and pretty accurate too) interior I can live with a few pin marks. Nothing that a bit of work will fix....

I know what I will go and order at my LHS.

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Couple of questions :

How does the shell ejection work ? I've seen footage of the 3.7cm firing and the shells seem to fair fly out so are they just intended to hit the side and drop down below ? In other words if I did one in action would there be empty casings on the floor. Or is it meant to have some kind of brass catcher ?

If working with searchlights would these tow their own searchlight ( something like the AFV 60cm unless anyone knows of a bigger one ) or would they operate with one mounted on another vehicle like Blitz or the SWS UHU, or towed by another vehicle ( or of course all of the above ).

A small basket next to the ejector catches the shells.

As for using search lights, the box art looks a bit speculative. These guns were meant for close support protection for Armour, and were mostly used to defend against fighter(bomber) attacks, during daylight. The search lights were used at night, against the large waves of heavy bombers, with the 88mm FlaK 36/37.

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for using search lights, the box art looks a bit speculative.

Henk, Major League Baseball rules require the home team turn on the stadium lights if it's very overcast....
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Couple of questions :

A small basket next to the ejector catches the shells.

As for using search lights, the box art looks a bit speculative. These guns were meant for close support protection for Armour, and were mostly used to defend against fighter(bomber) attacks, during daylight. The search lights were used at night, against the large waves of heavy bombers, with the 88mm FlaK 36/37.

Cheers for that, much appreciated.
 _GOTOTOP