Hosted by Darren Baker
HMMWV Air Defense...?
VenomOrca
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 11:19 AM UTC
Does anyone make a Humvee Air Defense vehicle in 1/35th scale?

I remember ESCI made one a while ago but the kit is not up to today's standards and Id like a top shelf kit. Also does the Humvee only mount the Stinger system...or can it mount a Vulcan cannon, mini gun or some other ADATS system?

So far I have yet to see a mini gun Gatling cannon system modeled in 1/35th scale.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 11:46 AM UTC
Academy makes a HMMWV stinger based AA vehicle. It mounts 2 quad stinger launchers and one .50 cal machine gun. The system was given the name 'Avenger'.

I purchased a 'Real Model' resin conversion also which I was highly disappointed with. I will be doing a review of the conversion kit in the near future.
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 761 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 11:46 AM UTC
The only AD kit out there is the Italeri Humvee, otherwise known as the "Avenger".
If you're looking for "gatling" or minigun systems in 1/35, your only choices are Hobby Fans Phalanx or M163 kit, VP M163 Conversion, Academy Or Ita plastic M163, and the Trump LAV Stinger AD vehicle.
There are various miniguns on other AM kits and Plastic rotor birds in 1/35 too.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone make a Humvee Air Defense vehicle in 1/35th scale?

I remember ESCI made one a while ago but the kit is not up to today's standards and Id like a top shelf kit. Also does the Humvee only mount the Stinger system...or can it mount a Vulcan cannon, mini gun or some other ADATS system?

So far I have yet to see a mini gun Gatling cannon system modeled in 1/35th scale.

While I have seen some experimental Humvees mounting other missile systems, I think that the Avenger is the only system that has ever been in battalion use. I also am unaware of the use of the mini-gun as an AD weapon. Academy makes the Vulcan gun mounted on the M113 (forget the name of the vehicle at the moment.) BTW, the Vulcan has, to my knowledge, passed from the regular Army's ADA units.

John
VenomOrca
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 12:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the Vulcan has, to my knowledge, passed from the regular Army's ADA units.

So Air defense is all missile based now? What do you do if a threat gets real close?

I wonder if I could build a hypothetical energy weapon based ADA vehicle.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 08:54 PM UTC
Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/trucks/0808dp_am_general_humvee/photo_02.html
Although the gun looks more like a bushmaster than a gatling

Cheers,
Sean
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So Air defense is all missile based now? What do you do if a threat gets real close?

I wonder if I could build a hypothetical energy weapon based ADA vehicle.

Correct, the last US gunned ADA vehicle was the Linebacker, a Bradley with a four-shot Stinger missile launcher in place of the TOW launcher. The last I heard, they were all pulled out of service and converted back to the standard Bradley configuration.

The vehicle posted just above me looks similar to the AFV Club Taiwanese Marine HMMWV variant they produced (it was the Academy HMMWV with some resin fittings). It's not an ADA vehicle.

As far as I know, there were three ADA HMMWV kits produced. The first was the Esci Avenger (spelled Avanger), then Italeri made a 4-Stinger pedestal mounted "Special Forces" HMMWV that was basically a standard pickup truck style M1038 (M998 with winch). The third was Italeri's M998 Avenger. This one is the only one that still is fairly common, with the first two being OOP for some time now.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 01:38 AM UTC
I have that "special forces" kit, but have never found any reference to a real-world one....

Here it is beside the Italeri Avenger: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/35th-scale/Models/DSCF0110.jpg

Cheers,
Sean
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At least Legend has released a resin XM134 :

Frenchy
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:10 AM UTC
The Cobra company also makes a few resin parts kits designed for helicopters in 1/35, like the XM93.
jowady
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Correct, the last US gunned ADA vehicle was the Linebacker, a Bradley with a four-shot Stinger missile launcher in place of the TOW launcher. The last I heard, they were all pulled out of service and converted back to the standard Bradley configuration.

The Avenger does mount a fifty caliber.

John
jowady
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:29 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

The Stinger is considered to be a SHORAD weapon (Short Range Air Defense)

John
 _GOTOTOP