Hosted by Darren Baker
Tank Workshops M123 Tracktor
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 07:37 AM UTC
After purchasing this kit in the late 1990s and forgetting about it in the attic of my house, I finally got it finished.

I had to replace the mirror mounts with a discontinued Eduard PE set for the m923. They are not quite correct, but fit the bill nicely. This kit is completely resin, so if tackle it on your own, be careful of those mirror mounts.

You can see the rest of the pictures at:http://picasaweb.google.com/lopicma/MackM123#

Enjoy,
Mark Lopiccola
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 02:32 PM UTC
Glad you shared it with us it turned out really nice. Ive been wanting to build the 123 for sometime now but, being all resin I figured it would be a tough build. What did you think about the kit.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 02:53 PM UTC
Nice job Mark,
I like the paint job.
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 03:50 PM UTC
Thanks Guys,

It was not a bad build - Easier than Azimut's Mack NO anyway. I used a lot of photo reference from the internet. The most difficult part (on plastic truck kits as well) is lining up the drive train. Only Tamiya has solved this problem in their GMC CCKW kit. Let the world take note!

Mark L.
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 03:32 AM UTC
About eight years ago I built this kit, after being motivated to by a build article in an issue of MMIR. Since the TW instructions were less than 100% helpful, and not having a Tech Manual for the M123 at hand, I relied on the MMIR article. I used the AFV M49 tanker kit for cab parts and mirrorsm and I believe the Eduard PE for the M49 for instrument panel, etc.

I had a challenging time getting all ten of the wheels to line up properly, as the setup does not provide any positive reference, unlike most plastic kits. Yes, I agree that the Tamiya approach is the best for chassis construction, but don't think we'll see the 10 ton tractor in plastic. Hey Trumpeter, how about tackling this, plus the M15A2 semi-trailer???
 _GOTOTOP