_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Best 1/35 Karl Morser kit?
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 08:45 AM UTC
Without discussing price, what is the better kit? Anyone have any experience with any of them?

There are 2 from DML, CMK has it and also Trumpeter. All of them are easily under $80.00 which is no problem, but which one will be the better/easier build?

I mostly build armor and I've seen a few online builds so I thought it would be a big change of pace ... and challenge.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 09:40 AM UTC
Definitely not CMK. DML is easier but not as accurate as the Trump one
Plastic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 10:09 AM UTC
Jeff. I can't comment on the DML or CMK kits except to say that from pictures and reviews I've seen plus a built up DML one I saw in my local hobby shop I would say that the DML one in particular is much simplified.

There is virtually NO interior either in the base chassis or inside the gun carriage itself-just flat walls.

I am at present working on Trumpeters late version on railway carriages.

Although it is usual Trumpeter-ie LOTS of ejection pin marks, a lot of 'hairy' edges and generally a lot of cleaning up, I can assure you that it wins hands down on detail.

I am just at an early stage, constructing the main modules, but I can already see that it is going to look very 'busy' when completed!

If detail is what you are looking for and don't mind a lot of extra work cleaning up and general preparation---go for the Trumpeter!

Good luck, Gordon
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 10:49 AM UTC
PMMS does a comparison review of the Trumpeter and Dragon kit.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 11:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys for the replies and thank you gremlinz with the excellent intel. Looks like the Trumpeter is the way to go and especially with it including the two railway transport cars.

Glad I asked!
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks guys for the replies and thank you gremlinz with the excellent intel. Looks like the Trumpeter is the way to go and especially with it including the two railway transport cars.

Glad I asked!

The initial release includes the railway carriages. The newer release includes alternate lower hulls but no carriages.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 02:46 PM UTC
You are correct plus the release with the two railway carriages is more money which I didn't know.
Plastic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 10:19 AM UTC
It was the comparison review on PPMS that made my mind up!

As to the difference in cost regarding the railway parts. Well, I can only tell you that it was worth it.
I considered the newer issue with the early and late hull etc. (remembering you can only build one!), but, as I wanted to build the later suspension plus I thought that the whole potential of the kit was dramatically increased by the addition of the rolling stock, that's the one I plumped for.

Right decision I can assure you! I'll be busy with this for months!!

Gordon
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 12:13 PM UTC
Good to know and thanks. I'll get it next month with my bonus!
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 08:02 PM UTC
Echo the above comments. Trumpeter is your best bet for both the Mörser Karl AND the Leopold K5.

Having said that, I've built the DML 54cm "Loki" Gerät 041 kit and while it has issues (primarily the running gear fixed in the 'drive' poition while the walkways are fixed in the 'fire' position), it still builds up into an impressive-looking beast. Not having the railway carriages, it's also cheaper than the Trump kits, which may swing it for those on a tighter budget who still want to build one.

- Steve
Plastic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 10:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Echo the above comments. Trumpeter is your best bet for both the Mörser Karl AND the Leopold K5.

Having said that, I've built the DML 54cm "Loki" Gerät 041 kit and while it has issues (primarily the running gear fixed in the 'drive' poition while the walkways are fixed in the 'fire' position), it still builds up into an impressive-looking beast. Not having the railway carriages, it's also cheaper than the Trump kits, which may swing it for those on a tighter budget who still want to build one.

- Steve

Hi Steve. Yes, I quite agree with what you say.
It's all down to the modeller what he actually wants to achieve. For some, cost will be primary, (and I don't blame them), for others, like myself, it's wanting a package which will give them what they are looking for.

I don't know how much the Trumpeter kit I was alluding to goes for in, say, the US but I managed to get one at a good price, (well, at least I persuaded myself it was) and receiving a box of it's size and weight plus the amount of plastic, does give you one of those 'warm glows' I'm sure we're all familiar with!

But, at the end of the day, it's completely down to the wants, needs and wallet of anyone wishing one of these. Just remember tho', for anyone thinking of getting one, just the main gun and carriage assembly is about as long as two Jagdtigers end to end and about twice as high! Add the railway parts and Whoo!!
 _GOTOTOP