_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Kitmaker photo gallery down ?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 06:28 AM UTC
Maybe it's just me, but the gallery looks to be down I can't access it and the gallery pics posted in threads have been replaced by the dreaded red Xs....

Frenchy
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 10:33 AM UTC
It might be just you and me of course . . . !

I'm getting the same - can't access the gallery and photos and avatars hosted on it are all blank.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 11:15 AM UTC
? I have no problems accessing the gallery. All seems normal.
C.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 07:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It might be just you and me of course . . . !

I'm getting the same - can't access the gallery and photos and avatars hosted on it are all blank.

At least I'm not alone . The situation's still the same today....Maybe it has something to do with Kitmaker Network, as http://armorama.kitmaker.net/ appears to be down as well...

Frenchy
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 07:47 PM UTC
If you can reach https://armorama.kitmaker.net and not http://armorama.kitmaker.net than the likely issue is bad DNS information via your ISP, old cached data (when the site may have been offline momentarily) or other routing problem as they are both on the same server. As far as the gallery goes it's highly probable that it may be down on occasion as we are maxing out resources there for many months lately. Too many photos. The software was simply never designed to have hundreds of thousands of photos on it.

As far as the server being down I get automated updates if it does go down for longer than 15 minutes and I have gotten no notices lately on that.

Jim
spaarndammer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 12:43 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

With my computer i have only access to armorama.com, not to armorama.kitmaker.net. I also cannot acces benelux.kitmaker.net.

Strangely enough I have access to both armorama.kitmaker.net and benelux.kitmaker.net via my Iphone, which uses Safari for a browser.

Jelger
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With my computer i have only access to armorama.com, not to armorama.kitmaker.net. I also cannot acces benelux.kitmaker.net.

Strangely enough I have access to both armorama.kitmaker.net and benelux.kitmaker.net via my Iphone, which uses Safari for a browser.

All I can say is that the problem remains the same with Internet Explorer 7 on my laptop and Mozilla Firefox on my desktop ..Maybe I should download Safari

EDIT : it's the same with Safari

Frenchy
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 08:06 AM UTC
Can you access https://archive.kitmaker.net ?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nope
Same with anything Kitmaker-related....

It"s strange that my avatar now randomly appears in my previous posts (and in this post as well, but not in yours or some other members..) when I use my laptop, but not my desktop

Thanks for caring Jim

(Post edited)

Frenchy
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 08:38 AM UTC
Negative.

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/ also negative - ditto 5 other kimaker sites I have tried.

Not too convinced by your explanation - although not because I know more about it than you, just because I work for a well-known IT company and know that the first line of defence when something goes wrong is always to apportion blame to something outside of the present parties' control, if only to buy time while you work out what it is . . .!

firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It"s strange that my avatar still randomly appears in some of my previous posts when I use my laptop, but not my desktop

That could just be cached pages I suppose...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 12:57 PM UTC
Besides there being an issue with DNS/IP information for a particular domain with what seems to be euro-based DNS info, I am not sure what other explanation there can be. If you can access http://208.109.171.57 and see KitMaker's homepage, then the site is up and running and this is the IP that the domain resolves to. If your ISP doesn't have the domain/subdomain info for kitmaker.net on their DNS servers... that is odd and should be reported to them.

Jim
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you can access http://208.109.171.57 and see KitMaker's homepage, then the site is up and running and this is the IP that the domain resolves to.

"Then I saw the homepage, now I'm a Believer. Not a trace of doubt in my mind." Still don't understand what was going on as my knowledge about Internet "hidden sides" is rather meagre,but at least everything is apparently back to normal (for the time being ) ....

Thanks Jim

Frenchy

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 08:19 PM UTC
Frenchy,
So you can access the gallery and see images hosted there now? It may have just been a temporary hicup with DNS info.

Thanks,
Jim
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Frenchy,
So you can access the gallery and see images hosted there now? It may have just been a temporary hicup with DNS info.

Hummm Maybe I've been too optimistic, as now it's history repeating. I just can see my Kitmaker gallery-hosted avatar but that's all When I click on the link you've given in your previous post, I still can see the page but I can't successfully login there (whereas it was OK this morning )...

Frenchy
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 09:53 PM UTC
Logging in should work now. That was a configuration problem for that IP version of the site.

Jim
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Logging in should work now. That was a configuration problem for that IP version of the site.

Yes it does now...But I can't switch to Armorama.kitmaker.net from this page (and neither do I can see the gallery whatever the site). I don't want to bother you any longer with this glitch Jim. There are many more important problems to take care of nowadays
I'll try from my desktop at work later this week and see what happen...

Frenchy
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 - 12:32 AM UTC
It all seems OK now (but this is from the laptop on the corporate network). I will check home later. Thanks.
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 - 12:48 AM UTC
OK for me!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 - 01:15 AM UTC
I had no issues with the gallery when this thread was started, however today there are no pictures showing and most avatars are blank, I also cannot get to the gallery, This has only started today.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had no issues with the gallery when this thread was started, however today there are no pictures showing and most avatars are blank, I also cannot get to the gallery, This has only started today.

Welcome to the club

Frenchy
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 - 08:35 AM UTC
This seems to be localized to euro-based ISPs but only affecting the *.kitmaker.net domain. I am guessing some bad DNS info has been propagated to these ISPs and they need to flush this info and request updated info from the primary nameservers.

Again this is not something I can fix but would have to be done with each ISP that has the wrong DNS info.

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 - 09:00 AM UTC
I've put a request into the registrar to see if they can do a DNS push of existing info. If they can do that then it should get sorted.

Jim
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 - 09:37 AM UTC
During this whole episode I've had no problems accessing the gallery or uploading photos, so it does seem to be a Euro thing.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 - 11:35 AM UTC
Although I have not been on-line much at all recently, the last few days have not seen any problems. I have uploaded and edited. I can even get on line on my phone now... although I draw the line at trying to type anything..

_GOTOTOP